View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
need confirmation if this is a original whaler
jdmjunkiemonkie
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 7:32 PM

Comments: 1

any info would be great and helpful

i have just purchased a "supposely a" whaler from craigslist. im new to buying boats. my friend who owns a robalo came with me to check it out. got it for a decent price.

its a 13 foot whaler. but the pink slip to the boat measures its at 12 foot 8 inches(the information i got from the old owner of the boat was that supposely the front was chopped off)

there is not Original Hull VIN on the pink slip

the year says 0000

it came with a 2 stroke yamaha 25sh motor built in 1983-1987?

the inside looks like a whaler from 1958-1976 whalers.

it had the original whaler stickers on the boat(i think its original)

the design of the interior looks like a whaler.

i redid the whole boat inside n out. repainted sanded it down etc..

also the center console came like that when i purchased it

was going to put some boston whaler stickers back on the boat, but don't want to fake the funk if its a fake.

and on to the pictures

Will have better pictures tonight when i get home from work

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii...adavieboi/

Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/30/10 - 12:42 PM

RevengeFamily
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 2:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Wow I don't know if I've ever seen a Whaler that bastardized. Take a look at the outside of the transom. If there are three hand holds built into it I believe you found yourself a Whaler. What a shame, it must have had some major bow damage for someone to chop her up like that. It looks like an early Whaler. Here's a link to what I believe it should look like.

Welcome aboard Whaler Central.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage51.html

Norm

Edited by RevengeFamily on 06/02/09 - 2:47 AM

jdmjunkiemonkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 3:18 AM

RevengeFamily wrote:
Wow I don't know if I've ever seen a Whaler that bastardized. Take a look at the outside of the transom. If there are three hand holds built into it I believe you found yourself a Whaler. What a shame, it must have had some major bow damage for someone to chop her up like that. It looks like an early Whaler. Here's a link to what I believe it should look like.

Welcome aboard Whaler Central.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage51.html

Norm

the whaler does have 3 hand holds area. two on the side and one in the middle where the transom plate is blocking.

my friend didnt think it was chopped, but i told him it was because the nose is way different from all the 13 foot whaler i have seen.

Thanks for the info appreciate it alot.

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 6:02 AM

Comments: 34

JDM,

I do not believe that is not a Boston Whaler. While some details are similar the others are not.

The only way to tell for sure would be to see if you can locate the Stencil # in the interior transom area. If the interior has been painted, which it looks like it has has been, you would have to sand or grind the old paint off to get to the gel coat.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

RevengeFamily
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 9:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Jeff wrote:
JDM,

I do not believe that is not a Boston Whaler. While some details are similar the others are not.

Hmmm.... what?

Jeff, Besides for the bow, what details do you find non Whaler?

jdmjunkiemonkie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 10:53 AM

This boat, been heavily repainted. the paint was chipping off and everything from the inside. we try looking for the stencil of the number, but didnt know exactly where to look for it and it be useless now since i already did a full overhaul on it and dont want to ruin the paint.

Jeff
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 12:07 PM

Comments: 34

Revenge,

What makes you think it is a Whaler?

If the bow was chopped and rebuilt the bow locker seems like it should be much closer to the front lip of the bow.

The lifting eyes at the stern are on the outside of the reliefed grab handles instead of in next to the motor.

It is tough to see with the small images but it looks like the outer chine steps may be missing under the hull. I can not tell if it is the end of the bunk or a step in the images.

Finally if you sanded the whole boat down you should have came cross a white stencil number.

If it is a Whaler it really would take a lot of work to make it back to the way it should be. Also without true documentation I would have a tough time selling a hull like that as an authentic Whaler. None the less, you have a boat that you enjoy getting out on.....Nothing wrong with that. Use it and enjoy it.

Here are some images of Steve Karis's 1958 factory restored 13 I shot at the Miami show. I should provide you with details to look at and compare on your hull.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/...oHQ38Gi5BQ

Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/30/10 - 12:42 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 12:08 PM

Comments: 16

That boat's a fake. The bow locker, splashwell dam and transom details give it away as some sort of a knockoff.

jdmjunkiemonkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:24 PM

my undercarriage is exactly like turpin's 13 foot whaler

http://www.whalercentral.com/photo.php?photo_id=825

Edited by jdmjunkiemonkie on 06/02/09 - 1:24 PM

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:24 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

No more photos allowed in this thread.

The forum section is NOT designed to host more than a couple of photos.

Please start a personal page if you want to show more photos.
Thank You

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/02/09 - 1:26 PM

jdmjunkiemonkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:25 PM

i cant even post more pictures of more details area. im just trying to find out if i have a whaler or not.

jdmjunkiemonkie
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:27 PM

how do i go about doing a personal page. as you can see im new to the site.

moose
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:32 PM
Personal Page

Looks like a chopped 13 to me. The towing eyes are in the handles but they could have easily been moved there. All of the interior looks to be spec.
Mike

jdmjunkiemonkie
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 1:40 PM

the stencil'd HULL ID number, we didnt know where to look for the stencil so we just said screw it and painted it. its not that we didnt look for it we just didnt know where and what position it was located in. it wasnt in rough shape, it just needed to be painted and thats what we did. we sanded down the sides to the fiberglass, prep'd it and primer and painted it.

the towing eye was placed there. it was placed on the side of the Handles before. we just decided to put those in there.

from all the whalers i've seen. all the 13foot ones, mines is just 6 inches short of the regular 13' 4 inches whalers. everything seems identical. i even got to see a 13 foot whaler in newport harbor and check out and everything was identical besides the console and my man made seats.

Joe Kriz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 2:08 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

All of your photos are already hosted on PhotoBucket.

Why not just put one link here to your PhotoBucket album?
Then everyone can click on your link and view your entire photobucket album...

If you hold your mouse over the img button on the bottom of this page, you will see it says "NO photo linking to photobucket or imageshack, etc."

Thank You...

Turpin
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 6:08 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I know that you are beyond looking for a stenciled number but I found in the floor of the bow locker centered and toward the drain hole. As far as my opinion (and everybody has them) it looks like a 13 ft sport. I have been fairly intimate with mine for the past 7 months during the restoration. The under side of the front was my only question but after studying the lines, it's been chopped to the point it's hard to recognize but they are there and look correct to me. The inside inside front, on either side of the Norman pin are 2 distinctive humps that look like have been chopped (which they have). The bow locker appears to be correctly locate and just forward of that you can faintly make out the fill plug (where foam was injected).
Look at it this way at some point the boat was involved in a horrific accident and it survived but received an interesting repair job.
I say enjoy.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

jdmjunkiemonkie
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 6:46 PM

Thank you turpin. when i got onto this forum your boat was what really amazed me. your restoration was down to the wire. i plan on selling this soon, to pick up an actual 13 foot whaler.

CES
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 7:26 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

This is certainly an interesting looking boat. I wouldn't really worry much about it's authenticity at this point. You've already bought the boat and have started working on it. I say just use and enjoy it as much as you can. If it's not a true Whaler, it certainly has most of the lines of a classic Whaler.

Enjoy and congrats on your purchase.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Ambush
#19 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/09 - 7:30 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Interesting thread. Thanks for those linked pics Jeff. My eyes started to well up. Those Norman pins on the splash well? I, just, well, you know..............

@jd

I agree your boat is a beyond 'modified' genuine 13' Whaler. Some of my favorite Whaler shots are of chopped 13's. Chopped clean in three pieces!

I used to work summers for a dock/sea wall company in New Jersey. I'm thinkin' , cut a bias ply 70 series tire in half and screw it into the bow. Bam! Perfect for pushing the barge around the site. That or put a culling table in the stern, move the console straight forward to the bow, mount some serious bow lighting on that flat face and it would make one heck of a great Florida estuary clammer/crabber/flounder/shrimper skiff. Still unsinkable. Beauty.

Joe has a great "Personal Page for Dummies" (if I can do it, anyone can) DIY post at the head of the 'Personal Page' section. .Get yourself one going. I'd love to see more of your boat in action. And more of those flat fish. Was that really a 'Halibut' or a Fluke or Flounder? I've never seen an Alaskan Halibut that small rod n' reeled. And man, this flat lander has landed a bucket of puny chickens!

Doug
Only in a Whaler!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 3:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
kaiamiller105
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,045
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,242,520 unique visits