View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
repowering 1979 21' revenge
jalastra
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/05 - 9:07 PM

Comments: 0

any advice whether I should go to a four stroke for better economy and range since I only have a 40 gallons of fuel, or go with the new high perf EFI.
Looking at the 200 hp Yamaha or Evinrudes.

Thanks for any input!

Hines Pointer
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/05 - 8:03 AM

Comments: 1

In making your decision I think a key issue to ponder is the effect of additional engine weight on your whaler. I don't know if it's an issue with your Revenge, but it is with my '95 Montauk.

I outfitted a boat for a good friend last spring and used an Evinrude E-TEC 90. He thinks its technology is fabulous! Like a four stroke -- although perhaps even better -- it's quiet, clean and sips gas, and its hp with its torque pushes his boat beautifully. But he really likes its weight, as his model boat sits low in the stern when rigged with a four stroke, requiring that thought be given to compensating weight distribution using equipment and passengers.

I hope this helps.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/05 - 11:27 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I am not sold on 4 strokes as I believe they are over rated, over weight, and have way too many moving parts and need way too much service.

Having said that, I am, and always have been, an Evinrude fan. These new E-Tec engines has to make everyone re-think the choices on purchasing a new engine.

Take a look at the E-Tec 200hp and compare it to any other brand of engine. Especially the weight. The E-Tec 200 weighs in at 427 lbs for the 25" shaft model.
[color=brown]Removed Dead Link[/color]
These engines need no service for 3 years. They have only a few moving parts in the heads as compared to a couple of hundred in the 4 stroke heads, not to mention timing belts, etc..

The list goes on about the advantages of the new E-Tec 2 stroke but I will leave that up to the rest of you so you can make your own decision. For me, there is only one choice out there and that is the E-Tec. My opinion and I am sticking to it...

Edited by Mike on 03/23/07 - 6:14 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
September 20, 2024 - 8:08 PM
Visit our Sponsors
Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
Thorney70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 3
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,375
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 402
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,394,378 unique visits