View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Suzuki 200 lower unit oil fill/drain, quick please?
Doug V
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/05 - 9:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Good morning,
Yesterday I was mounting the 15 Suzuki kicker and giving the Suzuki 200 main engine the once over. Finally by late evening I checked the lower unit oil level of the main. The lower unit oil is not up to the oil level plug. I was unable to determine what the level is. I would like to add oil and am assuming that the plug at the front/lower half of the "bullet", and on the same side as the oil level plug is the drain/fill plug.

One of the OMC engines I have had over the years had a screw near the oil fill/drain. The oil fill/drain and the oil level plugs were identical large straight slot stainless steel plugs. The other screw head was a #3 philips head screw. The OMC maual said DO NOT REMOVE the screw that was not the fill/drain. It had something to do with the lower unit gears.

Since I do not have a manual for this Suzuki, I am a little leery of pulling the lower screw. It looks identical to the level plug, but I would like to know for sure before I pull it. My wife and I are trying to take the boat out for the first time this morning, so quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug Vazquez

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/05 - 9:36 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Doug,
I am not familiar with the Suzuki either.
Can you just top of the oil by putting some in from the top plug for now?
I know later, you will want to drain the entire lower unit and replace it with new oil anyway.

Good luck and let us know how your first day went.
Joe

Doug V
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/05 - 10:09 AM
Personal Page

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I can do that. I brought the oil into the house to warm it up a bit. That will help it flow easier and maybe not catch quite as much air.

I will get back to you about "First Time Out".

Doug

Doug V
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/05 - 11:19 AM
Personal Page

Joe,

After trying to fill from the top (didn't work too well), I looked at the lower plug and asked the question- What else could that screw be for? I pulled the plug and nothing happened except a little lower unti oil started to dribble out (no water, yay!) It only needed a couple of ounces of oil.

Thanks again,
Doug

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
September 20, 2024 - 7:39 PM
Visit our Sponsors
Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
Thorney70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 3
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,375
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 402
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,394,349 unique visits