View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Propeller choice - 1990 V6 225 Evinrude VRO
Joe Kriz
#21 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/05 - 9:22 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Peter,

The next size down OMC aluminum prop is the 15x17 pitch, part number-391200... Don't even concern yourself with the diameter of the prop, let the engineers do that...

I am running the 15x17 pitch prop on my 150hp Evinrude on the Outrage 18 as I mentioned above. I am getting around 5300 rpm WOT with a regular load in the boat, ie., 2 people, full tank of fuel, fishing gear, cooler full of ice, food, beverage, etc...

I don't like trim tabs unless they are absolutely necessary.
I also don't like any fins hanging off my motor. I have never found a need for the fin and have no idea why some people use them except maybe to stay on plane at a lower speed.

Whatever Floats Your Boat..

cdnwhaler
#22 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/05 - 11:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks Joe,
Amazes me how you also quote the part numbers for all this stuff.
I'd never seen these fins bolted to our motors before this past year but everyone sure seems to talk about them AND use them. I've even seen them on I/O's now.

Like you did, I've noticed people comment about the load carried in regards to all this and well...I think my typical load could be quite different from the norm and positioned differently too.

I think I'll take a step back and remove both, the tabs and the fin. Then see where the rpms are at and what the ride is like in different conditions.

Start over again with a bare, clean hull & motor shape.

Regards,

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

Joe Kriz
#23 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/05 - 12:43 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Peter,

Another suggestion on props... Don't go buying any if you can avoid it... Borrow them first to see if it will work for you. Many people use the Stainless Steel props too. They don't have as much flex as aluminum but they are expensive.

I boat and fish in shallow water most of the time so I am not going to buy a stainless prop. I can buy about 3 aluminum props for the same price as one stainless.

Let us know what prop works for you when you find the right one.

cdnwhaler
#24 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/05 - 10:19 AM
Personal Page

Removed the smart tabs and doel fin yesterday. I actually like it like this for now, I don't find the bow raises too much when coming out of the hole.

But the point is...after all this I've discovered my AV plate is at least 1.5 inches below the the keel. So this may be part of the problem.

I'll be in touch... after I figure out how to raise a V6 225 a few notches.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 06/21/05 - 10:20 AM
1984 Outrage 22

cdnwhaler
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/05 - 6:33 AM
Personal Page

I'm running out of time these days to move the boat north for the summer and this may be a stupid question but...

So what if the AV plate is 1.5 inches below the keel?

I've read lots of stories that it shouldn't be but I don't recall reading about why. Afterall, it's been like this for the last 15 years I didn't own own it.

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

cdnwhaler
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/05 - 6:56 AM
Personal Page

It was a stupid question. Apologies.
I just wasn't using the appropriate search parameters.:

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

Joe Kriz
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/05 - 8:17 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Peter,

My engine was mounted all the way down on my 1978 Montauk for it's entire life.
The only thing that happens is that you lose a little top end speed and you may be throwing a Rooster Tail off the cavitation plate. If your not throwing a rooster tail, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are not interested in gaining another mile or two faster at top speed.

My Outrage 18 was mounted all the way down and I hated the rooster tail so I moved the engine up one hole. What a difference. I am not concerned about top speed that much but did want to get rid of the rooster tail...

cdnwhaler
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/05 - 9:14 AM
Personal Page

Well that's interesting. I do have the rooster tail but it's much less now that I've removed the doel fin.

I haven't had time this morning to read all the threads I finally found on CW, but I was getting the initial feeling this could be effecting the extra 500 rpm I'm looking for, therefore performance, therefore the gas mileage effiency which is really why I started this thread.

WOT is still just 5000 but I've noted that 3000 - 3200 is a very comfortable cruising speed for the Great Lake water I'll be on.

Good to know I needn't worry quite so much.
This outboard leaning curve is getting tiring.
Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 06/24/05 - 9:17 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Jeff
#29 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/05 - 2:12 PM

Comments: 34

So here is a question guys. I have a large V spray coming from my outboard when up on plane and trmmed all the way in. Though it never goes away it does get a little smaller when trimming the bow up. I know this is a sign of it being to low in the water and should be raised however if I take a straight edge off my hull it hits perfectly right at the cavatation plate. my WOT top speed per GPS was 43-45mph. What do you think?

It is mounted in the middle hole BTW.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

cdnwhaler
#30 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/05 - 6:50 AM
Personal Page

Jeff,
You're getting exactly what's happening with my boat.
To recap:
I removed the smart tabs
Removed the doel fin.
Raised the motor one notch to the middle one.

I still couldn't get over 5,000 rpms.

So a 15 x 17 prop was finally tested last week. It only increased the rpms to 5200. Seems hardly worth investing in a new prop for an extra 200 rpms. And is it helping the fuel mileage I'm looking for anyway?

Best fuel mileage is the concern so I think a Navman 2100 fuel meter is the next improvement. At least I'll be able to find the best cruiseing speed and what speeds to avoid.

Thanks for the responses and thanks for the patient lesson Joe.

Peter

I should add that I have a new set of Lenco 12 X12 E's sitting here to be installed. I don't know if these will enhance my engine performance but they are certainly needed up here on the Great Lakes to enhance boat performance.

Edited by cdnwhaler on 08/24/05 - 6:53 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
September 20, 2024 - 7:54 PM
Visit our Sponsors
Nauset Marine - Whaler Parts and Accessories

Wm. J. Mills and Co. - Boston Whaler Canvas

Carver Covers - The Best Covers Under The Sun

Specialty Marine - Parts and Accessories

Click on logo to visit site
View all Sponsors Here
Users Online
Welcome
Thorney70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,375
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,637
· Sport 13 1,366
· Outrage 18 555
· Nauset 16 402
· Sport 15 365

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 86,394,363 unique visits