View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Combining Businesses
nvaccaro
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/10 - 5:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this. It isn't Whaler related, but I think it makes for a hell of a story.

The following is true:

I am a contractor and have been looking for a box van to put one of my crew in. I finally found one in South Carolina. I negotiated with the seller and we agreed on a price. He sent a great deal of pics and everything seemed to check out.

Now I have never bought a vehicle from a private seller, nor have I ever purchased out of state. I was going to fly to South Carolina where the seller was going to meet me with the box van. I was going to pay him and drive the van back home (9 hrs). I know you are asking, but the answer is no. I have been looking locally and have been unable to find one in good shape and at a price I could afford.

So, I booked my flight Friday afternoon and was preparing to fly to Greenville, SC this morning. I was talking to my friend Friday night and he told me I couldn't drive the truck back to Louisiana legally.

So I called the local state troopers station and found out that I would have to buy the vehicle in South Carolina, register it at the DMV and get a plate and then drive it back to Louisiana where I would then have to transfer the title and have it registered in state. This seemed way too complicated and not worth while, so I called the seller and told him we would have to ax the deal. Here is where it gets interesting.

He said that since he was retired, he would drive it to Biloxi, Mississippi and meet me. Biloxi is about an hour from my home. I figured I would chance it and drive it back to Louisiana from there. The seller had a brother in law who was visiting his relatives in Biloxi and was planning on driving back to the Carolinas on Monday morning. Seller said he would grab a ride back to the Carolinas with him. So now the wheels were in motion.

Upon further review, I found that I needed the Bill of Sale and the title notarized. I started making some calls Friday night and a notary in the Biloxi area answered. He said he was more than willing to notarize our documents on Sunday.

He gave me directions and said to walk up to the counter and tell them we did not want a snowball, but we were there for notary work. I just let it go at that point.

Right around lunch time today, the seller and I met at a coffee shop. The truck looked great. Everything worked. IT was going to be the perfect additon to my company fleet. The seller followed me (I was using gps) to the notary's office. We pulled up to a snowball stand. There on the side door was a "Notary Public" sign. We were killing ourselves laughing, but sure enough, there in the covered patio area sat an honest to God notary. She was very nice and for $9, she notarized our documents.

My seller left with his brother in law, and after ordering 4 snowballs, my wife and I and two kids headed home, I in the van and the family in our tahoe.

You know, I know the economy is struggling and it has caused businesses to re-think existence. You see Taco Bells and Pizza Huts sharing space. You see fast food joints being run out of gas stations. Fed Ex and Kinkos share space. This being the case, why can't a notary and a snowball vendor share space?

Funny thing was we figured nobody would believe this so my wife took a picture of the sign on the door. One of the employees asked if we were photographing their pink flamingo as it was a very special statue!!

I assure you this is a true story!

joninnj
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/10 - 8:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

God Bless America... Great story!!!

Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 3:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

That's a funny story, can we see the pic ? LOL, maybe "Pepsi" (own's Taco Bell & Pizza Hut) now owns "Sno-Ball" and "Notary's".

Matt

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 5:39 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Funny Story Nick. Wow, I can't believe the guy delivered the van to you........

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

nvaccaro
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 9:57 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I'll get my wife to email the pic to me and then I'll post it. It sure was funny.

CES: the seller was a real nice guy, but not stupid. I had to pay him a delivery fee. It was cheaper than me jumping on a plane.

Funny, the snowballs cost more than the notary work!!

CES
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 11:15 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Even with a delivery fee, you still came out WAY ahead cost wise because of what your time is worth too.

Good score!!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 5:11 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

On the route I take to and from my summer home, there is a notary sign outside a crab shack. Made sense to me anyway, who knows when your going to get documents notarized and need a snack.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 10:16 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,513,383 unique visits