View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Maiden Voyage
tampamontauk
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/10 - 4:50 PM

Comments: 0

I bought a 2004 170 Montauk a few months ago. I still have not received the paperwork from the bank to properly register the boat. I spent the last month getting the 90 HP outboard serviced and adding a Garmin 441 GPS along with a Raymarine depth finder. I live near Tampa Bay and today was the first day since I purchased the boat that it actually reached 70 degrees. The seas were a slightly choppy 2-3 feet and the wind was 10 mph. The idea was to get some practice in as a novice boater, practice with the GPS and possibly catch some fish. At the boat ramp there was a marine patrol officer standing on the dock. He quickly pointed out that my registration was expired. I should have just loaded the boat up on the trailer and went home. As I started making my way out to the bay I noticed the depth finder reporting the depth at 4...3...2...1 and although I was between the markers I was nearly bottoming out. After finally getting the coordinates in the GPS I successfully made my way out to the artificial reef. I trolled around the other boats looking for some structure on the finder. I also noted how the other boats were positioned. After finding structure I thought I made it far enough up current before anchor was dropped. I never made it back over the structure I had seen. When I decided to reposition the anchor was stuck. Really stuck. I tried to pull it from several angles and tried to use the boats power. It was not budging so I cut the rope.

On my way back to the ramp I passed the marine patrol officer who waved and asked how I did. I loaded the boat and went straight to West Marine to price a new 8 pound anchor and 150 foot of anchor line. $100. Man I hope my next trip is better.

mlw316
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/10 - 5:16 PM
Personal Page

I had a very similar experience with my 220 Dauntless! Launched in not the best conditions, low tide and very windy. Got pushed back onto the ramp, got stuck in mud, coming back in I put the trailer to far in the water and with the wind at my stern hit the winch roller up front! Pretty depressed after that I thought maybe I had bought too much boat. But I haven't had a day as bad as that one since.

WhalerDan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/10 - 6:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I hope you attached a fender or float to the anchor line so you could retrieve it later by dropping a line down to the anchor.

At least you launched, motored, and retrieved. That's success.

Harvey Boysen
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/10 - 9:17 PM
Personal Page

Hello Tampa
The first time is the toughest. It gets easier every time.
I have a 2003 170. The first time I took it out I had trouble getting it off the trailer. My wife was in the Suburban and communication was difficult. A guy from the bar next to the ramp came over and helped me. Got in the water on a cold day and just said good luck. I couldn't even buy him a beer.
You will find the nicest people in the world on and around the water. They will help. Just ask.
Trust your depth finder. It's your best friend. Sirius radar is a close second.

JohnnyCW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/10 - 10:28 PM

Boating takes practice. Cant hit the ball unless you swing the bat. Its been windy and the Bay can be a real choppy mess.

A breakaway anchor rig might save your anchor next time... http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-f...-pics.html

There are also slip ring anchors available that accomplish the same thing without the modifications.

Above all, keep it safe and the fun will follow.

Edited by JohnnyCW on 03/07/10 - 10:35 PM

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/10 - 3:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

You got back to port, and nobody got hurt, that makes it a "GOOD" trip ! You'll get better with time, we all do. A "Safe Boating Course" help's a lot, keep your PFD "ON" at all times !

Matt

surfncnow
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/10 - 4:17 AM
Personal Page

Hey Tampa,

I would check out your local Power Squadrons chapter. They offer basic boating classes that are very useful. You get to meet other folks new to boating and learn the nav rules, tie knots, boat maintenance and many other aspects of boating. Among the Basic boating class. They offer many advance classes too. I was amazed of the wealth of knowledge I walked away with after the class.

Also, I would find a cheap "Wreck Anchor" if you are wreck fishing. I've lost a few anchors myself. Trust me, you will lose another anchor.

Tight lines.

awayland
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/10 - 7:51 AM
Personal Page

Never try to pull an anchor from the stern with the boats power. That's exactly how those two football players died last year. While pulling the boat flipped over!

JohnnyCW
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/10 - 7:59 AM

Another suggestion, don't fixate on your bottom finder too much. If its relatively sunny out its easy to see bottom in Tampa Bay especially in the clearer water of winter. The bottom is easy to avoid on all but the most cloudy days and of course at night in such a small vessel. Of course some of the launch sites up the rivers will have you in tannin stained water so visibility in those areas is tough. Get a decent pair of polarized sunglasses and leave the bottom machine to find the fishing structure.

I don't even use a bottom machine in my little 17' Outrage unless I'm headed to troll the main channel out by the Skyway or off the beach looking for structure and hard bottom to troll that might attract the King Mackerel.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 12:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,506,843 unique visits