View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Starting a Tradition
nvaccaro
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 5:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I bought my '81 Montauk in December '08. I posted the tale of the road trip my son and I took to go pick her up. A good deal of you guys commented on the story. IT was really a great experience taking that trip with my son. I remember the trip vividly and have enjoyed going back to that post this year and just reviewing it, the whole time reliving the trip.

I have wanted to take another trip with my son. After all of the work we put into the Montauk this year, both my son and I felt we needed another trip to hang out together and spend quality time together. I also felt that the Montauk deserved a change of water and scenery, a crowning cruise if you will.

My son and I, as well as our Chocolate Lab, Bella, left Friday morning for Toledo Bend Reservoir. It a section of the border between Texas and Louisiana, fed by the Sabine River. The place is mind blowing. The water is fantastic, the bass fishing is the best I've ever seen and the locals are really friendly.

My son is 7 and has to return to school on Monday, so we knew it would be a short trip, but we still wanted to go. We stayed at Fin and Feather Resort in Hemphill, Texas. We got there at about 2pm on Friday. It's a 4 1/2 hour trip from where we live. We checked in to our 1 bedroom cabin (pet friendly) and then quickly launched the Montauk. As she glided off the trailer, the heads started to turn. Her newly varnished teak was gleaming in the sunlight. People started giving me knods, the same I give when a Harley or Corvette passes me on the interstate. In a bass boat haven, I was surprised at the attention the Montauk got.

My son and I had no reservations of telling about this year's work list on the Montauk. We're very proud and love to share the stories. She has brought nothing but joy to us.

I started her up and she performed flawlessly on the water. We had no reservations about crossing the massive reservoir. We fished and had a great time. I would also like to add that we had no electrical problems as we seem to do quite often. I think I have those problems ironed out. You can't see me, but I'm knocking on wood right now.

We barbequed steaks Friday night and sat outside on the back porch, I with a cigar and cup of coffee, the boy with a hot chocolate and a couple of cookies. I'll admit, a scotch or brandy, even a cold beer would have been nice, but the company wasn't right for that type of beverage if you know what I mean.

We talked about school and his friends. We talked about sports. We talked about the New Orleans Saints winning the Superbowl this year (I believe...). But as it does when its just the two fo us, all conversations lead to the Montauk. The love for that boat is crystal clear in his eyes when he talks about it. It amazes me that he is only 7 and shares such a great passion for the water and Whaler like myself. Maybe my son will join the Navy one day. Right now he wants to be an architect and come work with me "when he grows up."

We woke up Saturday morning and hit the water at daybreak. It was cold, but we didn't care. Of course, Bella took a morning dip at the pier and I shook my head at her while she trembled when we dropped the trolling motor to fish. The morning son dried her out quickly.

We caught some fish and made a lunch run back to the pier. I let the boy take the controls. I taught him how to read the boat lanes and adjust the trim. He did great. I'm really proud of him.

After lunch, we went back out. Toledo Bend is a huge reservoir with coves and inlets all over. We wished a cove that just kept going and going so to speak. We were bordered by trees displaying a beautiful burnt orange color, proving that fall was present.

That peaceful feeling I had quickly fled when we motored out to the main reservoir. I was shocked at how things had changed. The wind had kicked up, as did the swells. It resembled the waters of a local lake by my house, waters that we normally stay away from when its angry.

As I mentioned in a post earlier tonight, it was like playing a game of peek-a-boo with the lane markers. Now you see it, now you don't. That was the name of the game. Needless to say, I got turned around. It was late in the day, and we were losing daylight. Now things were getting challenging.

We stowed the gear. I made sure the boy's life jacket was good and tight. I then pointed the Montauk into the swells. She performed like a champ. It was a rough ride. And it was a wet ride. Man, it was wet ride! I have to admit, I was nervous. I was really concerned about getting outside the boat lanes and running over a stump or treetop. I have heard the horror stories about getting outside the boat lanes there--nothing I wanted to experience.

I couldn't get the boat lanes to come up on my newly purchased Garmin 440s (I know it is my fault and not the unit). I'm telling you, I was so turned around, I didn't know which way to go. I just followed the course I had made on the Garmin and back tracked and finally made it back. I must say, I'm glad I installed a bilge pump. It got a workout!

When we returned to the pier, I was drenched, as were the boy and dog. I think a lot of mine was sweat though. I asked my son if he was nervous, and I'm not making this up, he looked up at me and said no. "You can't sink a whaler, dad." Maybe Boston Whaler would like to make him an offer for a commercial. Smile

I could have used an adult beverage Saturday night, especially after that afternoon's run. Instead, I stuck to my coffee and cigar and watched my son play with the dog. We sat up that night and studied the map of the reservoir. We planned our tour for this morning. He kept picking spots far from our location, saying, "The boat will take us there. It will make it, dad."

We made our tour this morning and then loaded the Montauk up for the trip home. I go the biggest kick out of watching my son come behind me and tug on all the straps to make sure I had secured her correctly. We got home and cleaned her up. The boy put his usual elbow grease into action and helped clean the girl up. When we were finished, he licked his thumb and took care of one last speck of dirt on her hull. "Ok, dad, you can put the boat away now." All I could do was answer, "Thank you, son."

I have a close relationship wuth my son, as do I with my wife and daughter. My wife and 5 year old daughter don't really appreciate the Montauk, but my wife respects it for the bond it has helped create between my son and me. I don't know what the future will bring. I hope the high school years will be easy to get through, but I think the Montauk will always be a common ground that my son and I will always have. Their is nothing like the bond formed between 2 people and something they love. For me, it is my son and me and the Boston Whaler that has brought a greater love and respect to our relationship.

We are going to make it a tradition to go to Toledo Bend every Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe I'll figure out how to use my Garmin before the next trip...

Tharsheblows
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 7:05 PM
Personal Page

Great story Nick and a good start to a tradition. My dads side of the family would have their family reunion at Ft Jessup at Many La. Once not long after the lake was formed my grand father and I was fishing the lake and he told me that the spot we where fishing was above the old home place that he once lived in. He had one of those old bathtub bass boats from the sixties with the stick steering. Once we were out, and at the time the dead pine trees were still standing in the water. Grand Dad was having a hard time navigating through the trees I beleve he bumped every one. But he was one that never showed any fustration or anger. So we managed to get back to the landing. Later I asked my dad what was wrong with Grand Dad he told me Grand dad had the week before hooked the steering backwards by mistake.

I returned to a tradition this Thanksgiving that my parents did up till mid 80,s. Which is to fish the Delacroix and Pointe A La Hache area on black friday. I gathered my parents in Amite and we drove down. We fished all day and brought home three limits of redfish. My mom loves to fish and has a hard time when I throw back a fish that is too small for the slot. She last fished before the game fish status and slot rules. She says every thing was much simpler back in the day.

Edited by Tharsheblows on 11/29/09 - 7:05 PM

nvaccaro
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 10:40 PM
Personal Page

Bob:

My dad had one of those stick steer bass boats. It was a pea green Terry bass boat with the suicide stick. I can remember sitting in the back seat watching in amazement at my dad steer that thing down the river. It felt like at the time we were going about 55mph. In retrospect, we probably didn't even break 25.

The Toledo Bend stories are great in number. I was told by a local that a few years ago, 2 guys got out of the boat lanes and ran over a tree stump or tip and cracked their hull. Their boat sank and they died from hypothermia before they could be rescued.

I have heard many stories of lower units being destroyed and cracked hulls, minus the death part though. Saturday evening when I was all turned around, I was in a boat lane that didn't look wide enough to fit 2 boats in it. You could see tree tips sticking out, but like I said, they would disappear in the swells. I just hugged the markers. The interesting think about Toledo Bend is that the Texas side is marked with boat lanes that have a center line of markers. The Louisiana side marks its lanes with left and right sides, creating a road if you will. The downfall is I didn't see any names on them, where the center line markers of Texas are labeled at every intersection. Crazy stuff!

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/09 - 1:10 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Don't forget to get him a "Whaler Kid" t-shirt for Christmas ! I have a 7 yr old son too, he LOVES our little Whaler, he likes to fish, and explore the nature/marine life on the small sand bars around here, he know's how important the "Bay" is to the ocean (nursery). Last summer I showed him a really bright red Cardinal jumping around a bush on an island, I asked "Do you see him, he's the "Male", he responded "Yea, and he keep's his hair in a MOHAWK too"

Matt

nvaccaro
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/09 - 7:01 AM
Personal Page

MW, Kids come up with some stuff, don't they!

I have purchased several whaler hats and they all seem to make their way to my son's bedroom. He likes to display them on his shelf above his bed. My boy is into the outdoors and my wife and I try to teach the importance of the environment. You wouldn't think he was interested by his picture on my personal page. He didn't like holding that bass for the picture!

moose
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/08/09 - 7:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Nick,
Great story. I try to go there a couple of times a year. We stay at one of the state parks in the camper or at Cypress Bend campground. I've been out there in some real snot in the 13. BIG bass boats were coming in saying, "Don't go out there!", but you know I had to go. The little whaler just bobbed up and down like a cork. It was rough and slow going but we had fun. Last time I went I forgot the hand held gps. We got out on the lake and made a run to the bridge, which was quite a long trip. On the way back I got confused as to which finger we came out of and it took a while to figure it out. It was a beautiful day that day so there was no threat. It's a great place.
Mike

nvaccaro
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/08/09 - 4:46 PM
Personal Page

Moose: I hear you. The place is so big it gets confusing. For a minute there I thought I was in the main body, but I was still in a prong. I just tried to get a cabin at North Toledo Bend State Park but they are booked up. You can't beat $90 per night and be on the water. I'll probably just go back where I normally stay. I was trying to get closer to San Miguel Pass. You familiar with any places to stay around there?

moose
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/09 - 6:26 AM
Personal Page

We always take the 5th wheel and stay at the campground. Last time up we stopped by the south state park because we had never seen it. It has more cabins and seems to be nice. There are also cabins at the "cypress bend" park. It is run by the Sabine river authority. I had a link to it before my hard drive died. I'm sure I can find it again if needed. Also, there is a motel right across the bridge into Tx. It isn't a cabin on the water, but it is a place to stay. A friend of mine has a camp just passed it. You can at least see the water from there.
What really amazes me about the place is that a couple of years ago the water level was about 15' below normal. Only one launch on the lake was functional. After ONE pretty severe rain storm came thru the lake returned to normal levels. That's an incredible amount of water!
Mike

nvaccaro
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/09 - 3:10 PM
Personal Page

Yeah, they just recently passed a law that they can only draw the lake down to a certain level so that problem doesn't happen again. The folks at Six Mile said they had one of the few launches that were functional when that level drop happened. Crazy.

ritzyrags
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/09 - 10:11 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

I did enjoy reading your family boating tale.
The kind of story that will make your day into a better one;
When recalling the events.
Thanks for sharing it with us today.

Edited by ritzyrags on 12/09/09 - 10:12 PM
Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Mr T
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/09 - 6:26 AM
Personal Page

What a story. Great writeup and a great tale of father son bonding.

nvaccaro
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/09 - 2:59 PM
Personal Page

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

PaulBW
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/09 - 5:52 PM
Personal Page

It is a good story and the boat looks really good. Ive always heard about the great fishing in Toledo but have never been. I didnt realize all of the trees were still in the water and there were boat lanes. If ever I go Ill be sure to be carefull. I dont have a son but have a six year old girl whos excited to go on the boat. She keeps wanting me to put her in the boat when Im working on it. I havent taking her out yet because I wanted to make sure it was dependable and I think Ill wait till it warms up a bit to take her. Great story.

1966 custom 16ft with 1999 Yamaha 90HP

nvaccaro
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/09 - 6:13 PM
Personal Page

PaulBW: My daughter is five and tonight at the dinner table she said she wants to start going fishing with my son and myself. I'm thrilled. I'm going to hit Bass Pro in Denham Springs this weekend and look for a pink rod/reel and tackle box! Santa is going to bring it to her.

Good luck with your project.

MW
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/09 - 1:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I still remember my 1st ride in a "Boston Whaler", I was 8 yrs old, we stayed out all day and caught fish, we used to have a small boat shaped "Kiddie" pool in our back yard. I remember taking a "Magic Marker" and writing "BOSTON WHALER" on the back corner's of it when we got back home. I pleaded with my father to buy a Boston Whaler, pointing out that it was a LOT more FUN than being forced play "Golf" !

Matt

CES
#16 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/09 - 3:56 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Nvcarro, my daughter is six and has a pink rod and reel! Lol, I picked up a pink Shakesphere for her last year when she was five. She uses it but would rather play wiu the minnows.

It seems as if your enthusiasm is rubbing off on your family. If you keep this up, in no time you'll have a mighty fine crew to help you manage that fine vessel of yours.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

moose
#17 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/09 - 6:16 AM
Personal Page

Nick,
My daughter is 4 and This Sept. I upgraded her from her princess spincast to a pink spinning rig that lights up when you reel it in. I found it at Academy. She loves it along with the pink tackle box and every pink lure you can find. She caught a nice speck last month with a pink jug head and a pink jelly type tube skirt probably made for sac a lait. She loves to go out in the boat. When someone else would hook p she would be the first to "get the net" and bring it in. It's a blast. Enjoy.
Mike

nvaccaro
#18 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/09 - 2:31 PM
Personal Page

I stopped by a sporting goods store today just to browse before heading home. I saw a bucket of pink and black spinning reel combos. I thought it would be perfect for my daughter, so I started looking at it. I couldn't help but think the rod was way too long so I kept looking for a shorter combo. No luck. Then I realized it was a breast cancer awareness setup. Not that there is anything funny about breast cancer, I couldn't help but laugh. What a dummy I thought to myself. LOL

It does seem like everyone in the household is jumping on the whaler wagon. I'm totally addicted, first the boy and now the girl. The dog is hooked. The cat sleeps in it during the day. Now if only my wife could accept her destiny and join in the fun. Not going to happen, unless I add a whirlpool tub and a tivo box and tv. Just kidding!

PaulBW
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/09 - 4:57 AM
Personal Page

Haha. I forgot to add on my post that she likes to sort through my lures and choose the more colorful ones and asks me why I dont have any pink ones. I may have to get the reel that lights up. She'll love it!

1966 custom 16ft with 1999 Yamaha 90HP

WhalerDan
#20 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/09 - 6:56 AM
Personal Page

Nothing beats spending quality time with your kids on a Whaler. Thanks for sharing. My kids are 17 and 21 and I wish I had a time machine. I didn't get a boat until my youngest was 8.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 3:51 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,508,946 unique visits