View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
WHALER PURCHASD TODAY
aviator
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/09 - 5:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Ok Guys I am new to here and I just picked her up today (can't get any newer then that) 17 1988 Montauk with an 90 Evenrude... Not new to boating, last boat was a 23 pro-line many years ago... The boat is in good shape used only in fresh water and sitting for a season or two ... Has old electronics Sitex loran and I believe an Imperial fish finder

I'm a bay fisherman will be trailering to the South Jersey coast and some places in Virginia... I have looked at all the GPS/Plotter / Sounder combos. I am having a real problem with either the Garmin with their exclusive echarts or the navonics compatible systems. Also, do the GPS units with built in Antenna have a problem with the Canvas top? or is there a way to mount the external. Any recomendations with systems

I have so many questions I don't know where to start , The teak is all Varnished I would like to refinished back to Natural too glossy for me. I would like to get the bottom paint off as it is all faded.

Oh Well , A lot of fun work

Ron South Jersey

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/09 - 5:39 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Congratulations and welcome to WhalerCentral.

I can help with the wood. You will need to strip the varnish off and sand the wood.
Lots of articles on this and photos in the project album section.
After sanding, you can then use teak oil to protect the wood.

aviator
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/09 - 5:42 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe, i appreciate the welcom... I guess the Maintenance is more than the marine varnish however, I personally think it looks better... A project for the winter..

Mr T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/09 - 7:58 AM
Personal Page

Welcome!

WhalerDan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/09 - 8:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Congrats on new boat! I would leave the varnish until it needs to be redone and then sand down and use teak oil.

I would repaint bottom with a multi season ablative like Micron Extra (1 quart) that can be taken in and out of water. It's a lot less work, looks fine, and you can not worry if you ever need to leave in water.

I like Garmin GPS. The built in antenna should work fine through canvas. I think their pre-loaded maps on current models are good.

On Evinrude, if it has a VRO pump, I would replace with the new ethynol resistant ones. If your boat has a fiberglass gas tank, I would replace with aluminum tank.

Good luck.

whalersal
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/09 - 10:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I have a new to me 1994 Montauk. It is a great Barnegat Bay boat. I love being able to sit on the RPS, or stand, while I pilot. My boat had a stern seat, which I got rid of, because I love the room behind the RPS for fishing.

I have an old GPS on my boat that doesn't function anymore; I haven't replaced it. I have a handheld GPS , and the boat does so well in skinny water that I do not think I need a depth finder. On my prior boat though, I had the Garmin 540c. I would install it in a second on my Montauk if I felt I needed it personally. It was a great unit on my prior boat. The internal antenna always worked fine under the bimini on my prior 205 Conquest.

Welcome to Whalercentral.

GeorgiaWhaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/09 - 10:09 AM
Personal Page

Congrats on your new boat. I have a Garmin 540s unit that has the internal antenna. Its mounted inside of a teak box that sits on top of my center console and it tracks perfectly through the wood box and through the canvas bimini. Where I travel, finding a channel can be tricky and the maps in the Garmin haven't let me down yet.

ioptfm
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/09 - 10:21 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Welcome to a great site and congrats on your new purchase. I have a Garmin and have a small flat GPS antenna that is mounted on my Battery Box cover and it works great. You shouldn't have any problems though the canvas though. You might want to look into a combo unit for depth and GPS to save space on your console

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 8:17 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,432,344 unique visits