View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Photo Quality
JMcCorison
#21 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 3:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I too had a problem with images reducing to the correct size but being to large as to the file size. From our point and shoot, a 7 megapixel Canon, I use iPhoto for handling the images. If I use iPhoto to export an image, an original 3.4mb 2304 x 3072 image becomes 480 x 640 176kb image. Not small enough. But if I run the exported image through PhotoExpress, which is recommended in the FAQ, the resulting size is 60kb. It works, but the extra step is a hassle and PhotoExpress has several annoying bugs. I hate to use Lightroom for the pointing and shoot, so I'll stick with the present process.

Jim McCorison

Phil T
#22 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 5:59 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Jim -

I found when exporting from I-Photo, if I select a custom size, it helps reduce the file size. Then again, I am shooting photos on a 7 megapixel camera with the resolution set to one notch below super-high. By a lower setting, I don't worry about running out of room on the card.

len36709
#23 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/09 - 2:57 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Dear Joe,

I am happy that uploading photos for you is so easy. I have followed all your instructions - file size, name.jpg, etc, etc. and your web site will not take it. The problem, I suspect, is that you can not look at a member's photo(s) that fail to upload and troubleshoot the cause. You and everyone else with advise on the subject are just guessing at causes.

Suggestion: How about I send you at your personal email address (or a google or yahoo address, if you wish to keep your personal email address private) my BW photo that I have been trying to upload, so you can determine the problem. I will send you the original photo and the reduced photo (properly named per your instructions).

Frustrated new member, Len

Len Johnson

Phil T
#24 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/09 - 5:21 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Len -

An offer of assistance has been sent to your email mailbox.

kamie
#25 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/09 - 7:18 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

All,
Irfanview is lowering the quality of the image, basically it sets the resolution to 72ppi (standard screen resolution) and then resamples the file. From the Irfanview help "Note: the showed Resample filters are used for enlarging only. For shrinking, a special/fast resample filter is used" For the web and for viewing on a monitor it is fine. If you view the resulting file in Lightroom or Photoshop it looks really fuzzy at anything above 100% because the information is just gone. To get the same file size in Lightroom I had to export the file as jpeg with 72ppi for a resolution and jpeg quality set to 20%. At that rate, with lightroom not doing any resampling the image is pretty fuzzy at 2:1 where the same image out of Irfanview is not quite as fuzzy.

My guess is that programs like photoexpress also use some sort of sampling to drop the filesize down.

Jim,
For exporting photo's for WC you might want to switch to Irfanview as a single step process. It seems to have all the editing features and a compression algorithm to get filesizes that work here. It also has a batch conversion that I plan to try for my project album.

Len,
what software are you using to edit images? You can try Irfanview or send me your images and i can convert them for you.

All my testing was done on files that started as 4000 x 3000 from a 12.1 MP camera. If anyone wants the original and test files, let me know and I can email them too you.

If anyone needs photo help, Pm me or email me. Also Windows PC help.

Edited by kamie on 09/07/09 - 7:23 AM

len36709
#26 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/09 - 9:17 AM
Personal Page

Thanks! I was using Picasa. Finally worked using Microsoft Image Resizer.
Len

Len Johnson

Joe Kriz
#27 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/09 - 11:38 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Hi Len,

I see you got your photos working but the names are still not correct.
You have a double .jpg.jpg for all your photos.
Here is a name of one of your photos:
interior.jpg.jpg

You should only have one file name behind the photo like:
interior.jpg

Again, the photos are working but file name shouldn't have a double .jpg

len36709
#28 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/09 - 7:33 AM
Personal Page

Thanks, Joe. I don't know how the second jpg got added. It wasn't there when I uploaded the photos. This tech stuff is all a mystery to me. The one important thing i have learned about computers - if it doesn't work one way, try another, and don't ask why. I have decided to make the PC to MAC switch, since my wife started using a MacBook this Spring. She is definitely not tech savvy, so guess who is the problem solver? And I am not all that tech savvy, as you can see by my posts.
Have a great day! Len

Len Johnson

moose
#29 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/09 - 1:02 PM
Personal Page

Joe says, "I don't do Windows." That sent me away laughing. Way to go, Joe.
Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 5:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,518,128 unique visits