View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cetol question
kikibee
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/09 - 2:42 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 2

My husband and I have been finishing a mahogany console for my 61 Nauset with Cetol. It's a two part deal with the wood finish and then the gloss. Here is my problem. We've followed all of the directions, but it never seems to cure. This is after months. If I lay a dried piece on top of another dried piece, it makes a sound like velcro when I pull them apart.

A lot of work has gone into it and I am really freaking out. Any suggestions? Can I put something else on top of it? I don't want to leave a print of my backside on the seat when I sit down...

-Kirstin

Turpin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/09 - 6:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I ran into a similar problem with an epoxy sealer once, I figured that I had put coats on to frequently. I started scraping it down with a razor took a break and to my surprise it had started to dry (this all being several months of waiting before scraping). Unfortunitly for you I don't believe I would try mixing different top finishes at this point if it is not dry and it did not require hardner during mix, adding something else will only make a bigger mess. If it is humid and has been, that could be an issue but having been a month doutful. you might try laying it over something black out doors in direct sun light, this may help couldn't hurt. But the quickest thing is to carfully start removing clear as to not get into the stain if used. If you did not use stain I say strip it.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Tim Erwin
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/09 - 7:22 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have a 1966 Alberg 30 sailboat with a great deal of wood to keep beautiful. I am located on the Texas coast, Rockport. The damage done by the intense sun here is as bad as you can imagine, plus some. I recently changed over from a varnish slave to Cetol.

A year ago I would have never dreamed of putting that stuff on all of my beautiful wood only to have it turn orange. The new Natural Teak has zero orange in it. As a matter of fact, it looks as good as varnish. I used 3 base coats and 3 clear coats. The temp was in the mid 80"s and humidity 60%. I let it dry a day between coats and between the clear coats used a 3m scuff pad.

You must be dealing with a temp, humidity, of lack of air movement. I would be in communication with Sikkens/Interlux pronto.

You are correct, the preparation of the wood is where all of the work is. Comparitively speaking, the application of the product is supposed to be the rewarding part.

my$.02

Tim

Tim Erwin -1975 Montauk II, Yamaha 70 2cycle

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 12:04 AM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,499,254 unique visits