View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13' Restoration assistance needed?
e_digg
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 11:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I purchased our neighbors' 1966 13' sport for a nominal price. The body has crazing everywhere but I was just going to let it be. The wood is rotten and I was going to replace it. After reading a few articles over a week or so I decided to weigh the boat. I used 2 scales, one in the front and one in the back. She came in at 400 pounds. I know that is a little over but the boat has been sitting outside uncovered for over 15 years. My major concern is that it appears that one side of the rear is much heavier than the other. With the boat on the trailer, the front was resting on the roller and I put a scale under each fin in the back. One side weighed in at 60 pounds and the other at 130. It appears to me that one side of the boat is water logged. The boat was tilted on the heavier side all that time sitting on the trailer since the trailer was broken. What should or can I do. Is it fixable or is it a junkyard item?

Thanks
Ed

Edited by e_digg on 06/09/09 - 11:52 AM

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 12:14 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I'd float it first and see how far it lists to the heavier side.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

moose
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 1:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Definitely NOT a candidate for the junk yard. It seems to have about 100 lbs of water in it if the scales weighed it correctly. If you drill a few 1/4" holes in the bottom near the transom and tilt the front up it should drain out quite a bit. It will take a while, but it will come out. Water weighs about 8 1/3 lbs per gallon so I think you would be good getting 10 or so gallons out. You will never get it all dry, but that's ok. You have an area on the inner hull that is allowing water to penetrate and get inside. After you drain it, find that and seal it up and you should be good to go. On mine, the bottom drain in the anchor locker did not connect to the drain into the cockpit. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mike

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 1:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I say give it a shot first, "float it" like "CES" said. Many older hull's have "some" water in them due to many owners adding thing's to the hull (drilling holes topside). Check it out first, you might be surprised, those 13's are pretty "Tough", and bounce back well, there's a reason that they've lasted so long.

Matt

TechTeach
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 5:04 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Drain it!!!

We got 6 gallons out of our old 15 years ago, the sealer her up.
Tilt the boat up at least 45 degrees.

Turpin
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 6:10 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

Though drilling has worked for some, in my case I wished I had just went ahead with cutting a large patch from the interior removed all reachable wet foam and poured new foam back in reinstalled patch. I drilled a bunch of holes (3/8in.) in mine and yes water did come out. Later I had to fix a crack in the bottom and found that I still had alot of water in the hull. It would have been far quicker for me to fix the one patch plus the hull would be much drier rather I had to fix 2 dozen holes and the hull is still wet (wow didn't mean to cry). Be careful on taking the scales weight, I too would recommend floating the boat and see how or if it sets heavy on one side. If you think it is heavy and want to drill holes, I would'nt get carried away. If you have time to wait let it drip but be warned I did the same thing as recommended (steep angle drip for 7 months) only wished that I had done things different.
As far as the Dump.
My Whaler was in terrible shape when I got it 14 yrs ago. Many friends suggested that I take it to the dump. Now they can appreciate that they were just being materialistic and short minded. Theres not much you can't do with fiberglass it just takes time and patience sometimes alot of both.

Edited by Turpin on 06/09/09 - 6:15 PM
1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

e_digg
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 6:38 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the replies. I sure didn't want to ditch the boat. Where exactly should I drill the holes and how many. Also how deep? Can somebody post a picture or something? I don't want to drill in the wrong spot that would affect the hull in any way.

Now what about the crazing. Is that only cosmetic? Will water get through it? Like I said it doesn't really bother me and I would keep it the way it is.

Thanks
Ed

kamie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 6:52 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Ed,
I have an 18 and a 13 project boat not two steps from you in Hague. First, I would get a real weight on the boat. Assuming you have a trailer that now is road worthy tow the trailer and boat to Warsaw to the lumber yard and run it over their scale. Then dump the boat off the trailer, go back and re-weight. The weight shows on the LED readout over the building. I get funny looks from the guard, but just wave a lot, never had an issue.

Once you get a good weight, I would float the boat, before you drill. If she really lists to one side, spend some time looking for entrance holes where water could get in. depending on how deep you want to get into the repair, or how bad the list you may choose to open up the boat and refoam or close up the holes and go fishing. If you choose the latter option, just know you probably can't enter a speed run without over powering.
Also, take so photo's and create a personal page here so we can see the boat and any progress you make.

Turpin
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 7:05 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

The spider cracks are for the most parts costmetic take a good at cracks it corners such as around the bow and back at the transom. I had a few in both areas even when ground I them down it was questionable what they really were. If you decide to fix the worst cracks you'll need to grind down to the finerglass, you may see a light colored line in the glass do not be alarmed as I found it came from sun bleaching the line into the glass.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

LabCab
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 9:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

FWIW a typical Shorland'r trailer for a 13' weighs 171 lbs. You could subtract that amount from your total weight and save the ordeal at the lumber yard scales.

If the boat is terribly over weight I would cut a big rectangle out of the non skid, remove the foam and flip the boat and let it drain for a few weeks. You could work on the bottom during this period. www.metanmarine.com click on "restorations" shows pulling foam from an old hull. One big square will be a lot easier to repair than a lot of small holes.

los is 7
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 7:31 AM

Something else you could do... I do composite repairs, and vacum repairs are our bread and butter. I use a vacum transducer to dry out all our parts before repair.
I have done this on a couple of boats with success it just takes a little while to find all the air leaks.

e_digg
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 8:01 AM
Personal Page

I have updated my profile with some pictures so you can see the affects of leaving a boat outdoors in the elements and what I have to start with.

kamie - I am off of Nomini Creek. Were you at Sharks Tooth Island 2 weeks ago with a mid 80's BW that I was talking to? I currently have the boat in No. VA and there is a scale nearby that I can use. I will also drop it off in the water to see how bad it lists.
LabCab - the scales were between the trailer and the boat.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 11:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,498,794 unique visits