View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Disappointed in quality of 210 outrage
wishbonecg
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 7:21 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 2002 210 outrage and it never ceases to amaze me just how poor it's constructed. First, I had water in the hull, so took it back to the dealer They removed the swim platform screws, checked the thru hulls and tipped the boat bow-high for about a month to get all of the water to drain. When they reattached the thruhulls and the swim platform, they used 5200!! Obviously, that part was all dealer related but why water in a new hull? Then, the center console nearly departed the boat because it is only fastened with wood screws from the factory. After my terrible experience at the dealer, I choose to repair it myself. Now, my fuel gauge has quit. I troubleshot it and found it to be the sending unit in the tank. There's a nice round access cover just to the port side of the helm. I opened up the cover and there it was, the top of the fuel tank and not a sending unit in sight! I finally located the sending unit aft and to starboard from the access cover. With such a tight clearance between the deck and the tank, it is impossible to replace the sending unit unless I pull up the entire deck. I called Whaler about it and after one of them finally fessed up that they had mounted the fuel tank too far aft, their answer was to cut out the deck to access the sending unit and when done with the repair I should cut the now oblong whole to a rectangle and put a rectangular access cover. Not only would that look like heck, It would be entirely unsafe with my 230 lb body standing on it while underway in the Gulf of Mexico. I could go on and on but I think you get the point and I'm sure that many of you have had similar experiences. Never again.

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 8:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Sounds like you got the exception and not the rule. Other than the fuel tank mounting it appears that the majority of your problems are dealer related and not mfg related. I can understand your disappointment and frustration thought and it would tick me off also. You must have gotten a "Friday built boat" I did notice that the boat is 7 years old............Have these problems just begun to appear?

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

wishbonecg
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 11:36 AM

No Tom, the problems have been there all along. Monday built boat vs Friday built regardless, there is no way they should have attached the center console to the deck with wood screws. It should have been attached with bolts, self-locking nuts and washers. The hinges for the back seats are the same. Just small wood screws drilled thru the glass with no backing. They sure have nice lines but the craftsmanship is lacking terribly on my boat.

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 12:16 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Wishbonecg. Man, I wish you had a better experience with your boat. You're the first guy I have ever heard complain about the workmanship of their Whaler.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

wishbonecg
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 3:17 PM

I guess I'm glad I'm the only one whose had a boat put together with wood screws, but for the price we pay for these boats (not to mention the fact that I am an active duty Coast Guard Officer!) one would think Whaler would have made the sending unit situation right for me. I even offered to drag it over to the Whaler plant for them to fix it but they weren't interested. I could have bought an XYZ brand and known from the get go that it was a lesser boat AND kept about $25k in my pocket. Sorry guys, don't mean to complain. I'm just not impressed with my "unsinkable Legend".

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 3:57 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Wishbonecg,
why not cut another round access port in the deck above the sending unit? I was not a happy camper this past weekend, trying to swap out the gas line on a 2004 Nantucket when I realized the hose connection to the tank is about 18-20 inches in front of the access port and under the leaning post/live well.

HarleyFXDL
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 4:41 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

It goes with any brand. A neighbor of mine bought a Mercedes 20 yrs ago saying nothing even compares to it. Well his car is a complete mess with only 114,000 on it. He kept it maintained but the thing is rusted and needs some serious engine work.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

wishbonecg
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 5:30 PM

FXDL, you are right. I've got an FLHX and there is a lot of stuff on it that just doesn't add up for a $20k+ bike. What's the first thing all HD riders do to our bikes? Throw out the factory seat and exhaust!

davis422
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 6:36 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I recently traded for a 15' sport. The boat is mint, other than a problem with the motor and steering I think it is the best built fiberglass on the market. I would find out if the console was added after market by the dealer and how it came from the factory.

Phil T
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 7:19 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Typically the console is attached with screws into backing material (whaleboard) that is embedded in the fiberglass deck mold. It is likely the screws used were the incorrect size or over-torqued.

No boat is perfect, although the console coming loose is unfortunate.

As for dealer repairs, the skill of the hands doing the work determines the outcome.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

wishbonecg
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 7:56 AM

Davis, I'm glad to hear that you think your 15' was so well built. But my $60k boat is not. And yes, the console was certainly factory installed. Just like the deck that doesn't line up with the access cover.

DaveL
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/09 - 8:10 AM

I used to own a 1978 V-20 Outrage. One day I was outbound through the west passage of Narragansett Bay in RI after the RI Air Nat'l Guard air show. The wind was on shore and the tide was going out, resulting in 6-8' seas. Guess waht happened? The console tore loose from the deck. It had been secured with wood screws only. I leaned on the console all the way home. That and the control cables held the console in place enough for me to get home. I had a buddy aboard who happened to be a US Navy F-14 pilot. To say the least, I was quite embarassed. I through bolted the L brackets through the deck and never had another problem.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:50 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,498,554 unique visits