View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
PVC Drain Tube Replacement 13 Sport
LabCab
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/09 - 8:07 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I've done a search here and the other site. I'm still confused. I've removed the old thru hulls and sanded down some 3/4" Schedule 40 white PVC pipe until it fits nicely in the the transom drain holes> BUT the drain plugs are 1". Stores and catalogs only sell 1/2" plugs for live wells and 1" and larger for transom drains. How have others made them fit? Have you whittled the rubber on the drain plugs or should I ream the pipe with a Dremel tool? Sorry to revive a topic which has been discussed but I DID already look for an answer.

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/09 - 10:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Schedule 40 is not the pipe to use. You need to use 3/4" THIN WALL PVC pipe. Your plug will fit perfectly. While there pick up a tube of 5200 Fast Cure. (24 hours) cut the tube square about 1/4" long, Coat the tube, stick, it in the cleaned out hole in the boat, and clean up the excess caulk with a wet finger, and then some acetone, and it will be there forever.

Rich

LabCab
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/09 - 12:44 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the reply. Ace and Home Depot only seem to have Schedule 40. It's plumbing pipe right? Or should I have looked at electrical conduit? Maybe because I live in an area where frozen pipes could be a concern they don't stock it? Who would use a thin wall pipe on their plumbing? Would white PEX pipe work?I did get the Fast Cure and got the old tubes out and had hoped to complete this project today. I did start thinking about replacing the rubber stopper part of the drain plug with a 3/4" one from a labratory supply place. A #3 1 hole stopper would work. Not that I have any idea where to get lab supplies locally.

Turpin
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/09 - 5:50 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I found the thin wall PVC at Lowes in the plumbing section. Once upon a time I had to make a drain plug fit a hole what I did was: take the drain plug apart (you have to force the issue because the retaining washer does not want come off reshape end of the stud and it will), I then threaded the drain plug onto a long bolt added a washer and a nut ( the bolt acted as a mandrel), I put that into a drill press and turn the plug down to size with a rasp, file and finished with sand paper, I cut the grooves back in the plug with a red hot steal comb. It was unnecessary work but it got the job done.
I know this is not what you are wanting to do nor would I suggest it since you have the opportunity to find the right tube, just useless info I like to throw out every now and then.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 3:19 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I had the same problem when I did my drain tubes this year, the problem is that the PVC is 1' in "O.D." (Outside Diameter) but, 3/4" I.D., I searched "High" and "Low", did extensive web searches and they do NOT make a "Drain plug" that fit's a 3/4" "I.D." drain tube, it does'nt exist in this part of the world. What DOES exist though is a 3/4" "LIVE BAIT WELL PLUG" (Marine store), it fit's perfectly (adjustable too), and it takes up "LESS" room, making it easier to work on the "Bilge Pump" (if you have one). Might even fit the sched. 40 PVC Wink
They are sold in a 2 pack, so I have an extra one if you need it, lemme know, I'll get it out to you.

Just did a search: West Marine has them, part number (wm9531021) 3/4" live bait well plug by "Moeller", $13.99, 3/4" I.D.

Edited by MW on 06/07/09 - 3:54 AM
Matt

Binkie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 4:13 AM
Personal Page

Don`t understand the problem. Thin wall PVC ia sold everywhere they sell PVC. Its main purpose is for irrigation, because pressure inside a pipe is non existent in irrigation lines, so the pipe does not have to be as thick as schedule 40. Normal size marine drain plugs fit perfect. I have two different types and they both fit perfectly. I have the lever handle type and the screw in type with the T handle. If this is a problem send me your mailing info, and I`ll send you a piece. For about $4 I can buy 5 ft. of pipe, enough for many drain tubes.

Rich

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 4:20 AM
Personal Page

These plogs will fit inside 3/4" thin wall PVC pipe perfectly. You can buy goth types , the lever type and the screw in type shown locally cheaper than from this site.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/...iler+Plugs

Rich

MW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 6:21 AM
Personal Page

I Dunno "Bink", I got the thin wall PVC and ran into the same problem as "LabCab", I too was scratchin my head, and had the "Caliper" out. Maybe a different manufacturer of the "PVC" pipe ? I think the PVC stock that I used was rated for "Electrical". I'm just glad those "Rotted" drain tubes are replaced, they were really starting to bug me, I hope they don't crack if they get clogged and water freezes in them during "Off season" winter storage, you know how rain water likes to get under the tarp.

Edited by MW on 06/07/09 - 6:21 AM
Matt

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 9:23 AM
Personal Page

PLUMBING PVC, not electrical conduit. I didn`t mention electrical conduit, besides electrical conduit is not thin wall.
AGAIN:
USE 3/4" PVC THINWALL PIPE. IT IS NOMALLY USED FOR UNDERGROUND IRRIGATION SYSTEMS (SPRINKLER SYSTEMS) IN YOUR LAWN. THE REASON IT IS THINWALL IS BECAUSE IT NEVER HOLDS PRESSURE, AND IT IS MORE FLEXABLE THAN SCHEDULE 40, SO IT CAN BE LAID IN CURVED TRENCHES TO ACCOMATE YOUR SPRINLER SYSTEM.
THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!

iT WORKS GREAT FOR DRAIN TUBES. i JUST DID THIS LAST MONTH ON ONE BOAT AND TWO YEARS AGO ON MY 13 FOOT WHALER.

Rich

MW
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 10:11 AM
Personal Page

When you say "Rocket Science", are you refering to "Trajectory", or "Propulsion" ?

Matt

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 10:51 AM
Personal Page

My Ex-son-in-law who is a rocket scientist for Marten-Marietta, explained the concept to me, in layman's terms. The pointy end goes up, the finned end goes down, and you light off the little thing under the fins. Simple enough when you understand it. Not so with drain tubes apparently LOL

Rich

MW
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 3:34 PM
Personal Page

LOL !

Matt

LabCab
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 8:20 PM
Personal Page

NOW you tell me. Went back to Big Orange and they had no idea what thin wall pipe was. So I Dremelled the Schedule 40 carefully until I could get the drain plug in. It's now cut and glued in. Thanks everyone. At least the next confused person doing a search will see it's pvc pipe for sprinklers. I am happy I completed a project this weekend and the boat can now get wet. BTW let me mention that every spot of foam peeking through and inside the transom the boat is DRY. It's been out of water under cover for at least three months now.

Joe Kriz
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 8:38 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

PVC pipe is usually rated in P.S.I....

The thicker the wall, the more P.S.I it will handle.

I use 200 P.S.I. white pvc pipe for the console rod holders. It has a much thinner wall than the schedule 40.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,498,224 unique visits