View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Help With Buying Boat
dnguyen924
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 2:46 PM

Comments: 0

Hi guys thank you for looking. I am really new to boating. I've been fishing the fresh and salt for awhile now and was looking for my very own boat but i do not know what to look for. I found this boat on craigs list and was wondering what you guys thought about it. It is a 1978 original classic montauk and the motor is a 1997 Johnson 90hp with less then 200hp that runs excellent. It comes with digital fishfinder/gps, Raymarine DS-500, VHF radio, and two high power compact batteries with on/off switch with built in battery charge indicator. here are some pictures of it. Is it worth 8K?

dnguyen924 attached the following image:

[52.19Kb]

dnguyen924
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 2:47 PM

here is another

[53.8Kb]

dnguyen924
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 2:48 PM

[52.59Kb]

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 3:12 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

dnguyen,

Welcome to WhalerCentral.

A few photos is OK to upload to the forums. That's about it as the forums are not designed to host more than a couple of photos.

The boat seems to be in good shape.

I sold my 1978 Montauk with a 1985 70 hp Evinrude on it for $7500

The 1997 90 hp engine with less than 200 hours (I think you meant to say) is a great engine.

Here is my prior Montauk.
The kicker did NOT go with the sale...
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Montau...ntauk.html

dnguyen924
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 3:58 PM

Sorry about that Joe, I will keep that in mind for future posts. I will surely delete my photos as soon as I make my decision on the purchase. Yes, sorry I did make a mistake I meant 200 hours. Thank you for the quick reply, i'm just really new to boats and do not know much. I wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing a lot of money into a boat that was not worth it.

P.S. I remember seeing pictures of your old Montauk and that was the original inspiration for me wanting to put a kicker on a montauk.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 4:08 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

No problem about deleting photos... Keep them here...

You can start a personal page and have 20 photos there that you can change, delete, rearrange or whatever you want to do.

As with many older boats, the updated motor can be more than half the cost of the boat.

I paid 10k for my Montauk back in 1988. At that time it had a the brand new (Old Stock) 1985 70 hp Evinrude with 14 hours on it... The hull was still under warranty at that time also so the first thing I did was take the boat to a dealer and have him inspect the entire hull for integrity. Other than normal wavy sides, the hull passed inspection.

I was actually looking for an Outrage 18' but just could not find one at that time.

bottomfish
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 4:28 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

The boat looks nice. I got mine for 8K as well. It had some hull issues but no motor issues that is what sealed the deal for me. I did not see any pics of the motor with the cowling off do you have some. If the hull is sound then the #1 issue is the motor and the electrical. The electrical is an easy fix just some time. The motor is 80% of that boat. I would inspect it fanatictly. If the owner will let you take a compression guage over and check what % of original compression is left I would. (If you know a mechanic he may let you borrow one). If not ask to have it professionally inspected. Just my 2 cents. I am kind of a motor freak. Reliability = safety and fun...

Derwd24
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 7:04 PM

Comments: 9

It's kind of hard to tell from that angle, and the side bunk is in the way a bit, but if the bottom paint line is the same as the water line, doesn't she look to sit a little heavy?

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

dnguyen924
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 11:54 PM

bottomfish wrote:
The boat looks nice. I got mine for 8K as well. It had some hull issues but no motor issues that is what sealed the deal for me. I did not see any pics of the motor with the cowling off do you have some. If the hull is sound then the #1 issue is the motor and the electrical. The electrical is an easy fix just some time. The motor is 80% of that boat. I would inspect it fanatictly. If the owner will let you take a compression guage over and check what % of original compression is left I would. (If you know a mechanic he may let you borrow one). If not ask to have it professionally inspected. Just my 2 cents. I am kind of a motor freak. Reliability = safety and fun...

Thanks for the 2 cents. Is this compression guage something i can just pick up from a store or is it a special one designed for boat motors? Between what numbers should be considered good compression? I will ask the seller for some pictures of the cowling so you guys can let me know what you think.

dnguyen924
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/09 - 11:57 PM

Derwd24 wrote:
It's kind of hard to tell from that angle, and the side bunk is in the way a bit, but if the bottom paint line is the same as the water line, doesn't she look to sit a little heavy?

What should i be looking for behind the side bunk? So the paint is supposed to correspond to the water line?

Sorry guys i do not know much about boats and I just really want something i can invest in for my fishing. I really appreciate everyone's help!

dnguyen924
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 2:27 AM

Well this is the picture of the motor with the cowling off. Does it look okay? What kind of maintenance would I have to do to this motor with about 200 hrs?

I'm sorry Joe Kriz I hope it was okay to post another picture as another member requested a picture of the motor with the cowling off.

[58.79Kb]

MW
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 3:43 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I'd REALLY go over that motor, or have a professional look at it, it's in the "10 years +" range (Golden years), and 200 hrs sound's VERY LOW to me for an engine that old, anything can be "Steam Cleaned" to within an inch of it's life. Just make "sure" beside's somebody's "Good" word. Every boat that I've EVER looked at, I was told "The motor was well maintained, and not abused", yet when I'm out on the water, everyone is beating the "Snot" out of their outboards. Just Make Sure.

Matt

bottomfish
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 8:42 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

It looks pretty clean but as was said earlier they can be cleaned to impress the non wary buyer. The compression set is the standard automotive type. It will fit multiple spark plug threads with included attachments. What you need to do is find out the original compression specs by calling the manufacturer with the model and serial #. Then put the guage in the spark plug holes 1 at a time and turn over the motor to see what the compression is in each cylinder. Really easy to do and will tell alot about the condition if the rings. Be sure to disconnect the spark plug wires from the other cylinders and keep them away from anything metal or you might get a little wake me up. Also look around under the edge of the block and behind things for corrosion as most do not take the time to get in there deep. Good luck..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 9:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,416,153 unique visits