View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stern light for a 22 outrage
cdnwhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Before I go bite the bullet and buy a ridiculously tall stern light for my 1984 Outrage 22 so it can be seen over all the canvas...has anyone come across a better way to do it like maybe a folding stern light?

With out installing a radar arch.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 05/19/09 - 5:16 PM

cdnwhaler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 5:49 AM
Personal Page

Late last night my brother informed me both Perko and Attwood make a folding stern light in various lengths in case I'm not the only one looking.

RLwhaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 6:51 AM

Comments: 4

cdnwhaler,
I think i still have my Stern light for my 22 Outrage W/D (1989)
if your interested let me know and i'll take some pics. for ya.

Richard

cdnwhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 8:58 AM
Personal Page

Thanks RLwhaler. I appreciate the offer but I have my OEM stern light too. Although, I'm assuming you mean it's the original short stern light you still have?

Problem is that by todays reg's it's way too short. I don't like using the light on console at night and I quite often run with all my canvas up (see my personal page). This is Canada and while it's hot in the day it can be freezing at night with lots of dew so the canvas is needed. I need a light pole that's min 5 - 6 ft tall to clear the fly top and clear it when up on plane too. Not just sitting nice and level. 90% of my boating is remote and no one cares too much but I may be boating in a large busy harbour (Toronto) this summer where my current nav lights won't pass muster with the CG or local police.

Thanks again.
Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 05/20/09 - 9:03 AM

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 9:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I tried something similar, I was going to use a folding Ant. Bracket but, I could NOT find "Hardware" anywhere in the boating world that would adapt the threads on the ant. bracket to the tubing for the stern light assembly that I was going to bend up.

Matt

RLwhaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 2:37 PM

Comments: 4

Gotcha...You're most welcome.I just took a peak at your personal page,and i've gotta say you have some beautiful water to boat in.
Btw, GREAT looking boat too!Bad to the bone canvas.

Best Regards,
Richard

cdnwhaler wrote:
Thanks RLwhaler. I appreciate the offer but I have my OEM stern light too. Although, I'm assuming you mean it's the original short stern light you still have?

Problem is that by todays reg's it's way too short. I don't like using the light on console at night and I quite often run with all my canvas up (see my personal page). This is Canada and while it's hot in the day it can be freezing at night with lots of dew so the canvas is needed. I need a light pole that's min 5 - 6 ft tall to clear the fly top and clear it when up on plane too. Not just sitting nice and level. 90% of my boating is remote and no one cares too much but I may be boating in a large busy harbour (Toronto) this summer where my current nav lights won't pass muster with the CG or local police.

Thanks again.
Peter

Tom W Clark
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 5:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Peter,

The regs have not changed since the boat was built. You have to use the masthead light in the console along with the OE short stern light to be in compliance. I agree it's a lousy set up.

The other thing to bear in mind is that unless the tall all-around white light you propose using in lieu of the OE lights, is mounted on the centerline of the boat, it will not be legal regardless of how tall it is.

cdnwhaler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/09 - 5:52 AM
Personal Page

Tom, you threw me off with the centerline comment for a stern all round light so I looked up our regs. On pleasure craft less than 12 meters it's not a requirement an all round stern light be center mounted. When using two white lights, a mast head and a stern light, both with the appropriate degrees visible of course, then the masthead light should be center aligned. They seem to take into account it may not be practical on some small vessels to mount a stern light on centerline, whether it be an all round or not.

Back to a folding / sleeved stern light.
Both those two "little" kids, my boating-camping buddies, went over 6 ft tall this winter. That's 2 of us at 6ft 2in, one at 6ft, and a Lab living on a 22 Outrage. The boat is parked in my yard to be stripped then re-packed. I'm on a mission to find more space and carrying a 6+ft stern light seems ridiculous for the amount it'll used. I'm removing the rod holders under the gunwale so a 6+ft person can easily sleep across the boat so that storage will be gone. If could get it to fold down to a size where it could be stored either in the forward hatch or even the live well I'd be happy.

They make extending boat hooks that are sleeved (not folding) nowadays. Maybe this might work. They're not very strong but...

Thanks for the input.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 05/21/09 - 6:13 AM

Tom W Clark
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/09 - 7:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Peter,

If your port and starboard bow lights are combined, the stern light may be off center. If the port and starboard lights are side mounted and separate, the stern light must be on center. This is why the Revenge Walk Throughs got stuck with the bow pulpit mounted bow light in the 1980s.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 3:10 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,437,255 unique visits