View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rubrail install
rwhitejr
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 12:33 PM

Comments: 0

Hi All,
I have read a few instructions on installing rub rail on my Katama, but they pretty much just talk about installing the L trim and rigid channel. My question is what is the best way to put the black insert into the channel, do you thread it starting a one end and try and push it around or is it best to put in an edge all the way around and pry it into place? Anyway if anyone has experience with this I would love to hear the best or more so the easiest method.
Thanks

Also, I can save some of the old rigid channel(white) for anyone that needs some peices or maybe for a smaller whaler.

Paul B
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 12:51 PM
Personal Page

Lay it out in the sun to get it as hot as you can. After it is hot lay it on the gunwal of the boat all the way around. Start at one end on the stern. Depending on your stops at the transom leave overhang to secure later. Standing outside the boat. Hold the open side of the insert toward your rubrail bracket. Pinch top and bottom of insert together. put insert into bracket and release. Now move forward inserting as you go. After you have about o foot inserted start using a soft rubber mallet and follow your path evenly tapping to spread insert. You can see what a rubrail installed in this manner looks like on my personnel page. Good Luck. Paul B

rwhitejr
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 12:55 PM

Thanks Paul, that sounds like an easy method. Rich

duf
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

the only thing i would add to that would be to put both stern pieces on, pull the center to the bow and insert. The reason i say this is my method is i just pulled mine off from the starboard stern, around the bow to the port bow light while replacing my light wires. When i reinstalled it, i was short about a foot. I pulled it off again, secured the stern with the L bracket and screws, stretched it to the bow, and worked my way from port, secured the bow cleat, and worked my way back to the stern working it as i went with a rubber hammer. It reinstalled perfectlly. Now mine was the original and i was just putting it back. If a new ones is expected to be longer and cut the fit, then the method described in the earlier post sounds like a winner. Wink

duf Cool

Paul B
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/09 - 12:38 PM
Personal Page

Your absolutely right on a re-install duf. I did that with a 17' one time. However all new rubrails from Whaler are sent long with the intention of cutting off the extra.

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/21/09 - 6:06 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I was a foot short on my 1st re-install too (Sport 15), I then used two people, I stretched it all the way around while the other person guided it into the channel, when I released it slightly, it locked in. Then I screwed it to the transom corner.

Edited by MW on 05/21/09 - 6:07 PM
Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 9:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,415,744 unique visits