View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Test Drive of My New (Lovingly Used) Dauntless 180
golf_champ
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/06 - 12:15 PM

Comments: 0

I took my family to test out a Dauntless 180 that had come on the market. The boat was at Twin Cities in Two Rivers, WI. As we traveled north on Highway 42 from Manitowoc to Two Rivers along Lake Michigan it was apparent that the lake was less than inviting. We had about a 15 - 20 mph easterly wind and the waves were 4' and building.

My oldest son (14), my youngest son (8) and my wife said "We're not going out in that!" I said, "Well, then you're not going to be able to go on the test drive, because I'm not coming back on a different day. This is what this boat is built for." My middle boy (11) said "I'm going." with more enthusiasm than I expected.

When I was younger we took my father's 21' Mako with twin Evinrude 70s from Blaney Park, MI to Mackinac Island in about the same conditions. I knew that the boat was gonna be great.

We got to Twin Cities and looked the boat over. Everyone was duly impressed. And, as the time neared to leave, everyone had changed their minds and decided to go. Well, we dumped in at Twin Cities and made our way to the pier heads and hit the lake. By that time, the waves had increased to 4' - 6' rollers. We traveled down the shore riding the troughs and although we could not attempt full speed testing, we were able to run it through its paces.

And, as expected, the boat "stayed on its feet" like a champ. My squeamish family members felt secure and at home on the boat in the most trying conditions I would ever attempt. In all of those waves, we never took one over the bow or side. The boat would climb and descend as smoothly as a light day. My oldest boy commented on how "...this boat doesn't pound."

As we made our way back down the river after a few mile ride down and back up the shore, my wife looked at me and said "This is a good thing. Let's get this boat." Inside all I could think was "YES!" as I had been hard-selling a utililty boat (particularly Whaler) since I started looking in April. Everyone in the family wanted a "cushy" ski or recreation boat. I however wanted a boat that was safe, stable, utilitarian, long-lasting, etc. Anyway, we're all happy with the purchase. We're just sad it was at the end of the season.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/06 - 1:59 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

champ,

Congratulations. The Dauntless 18 is a great choice.

Now you have all winter to add the things you want to the boat and you still have time to take it out a few more times before winter sets in, hopefully.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 10:43 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,456,176 unique visits