View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Air Compressors
RobG
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 10:08 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 0

I'm looking for opinions/recommendations as to what would the be the smallest size air compressor suitable for spraying.

Thanks.

Rob

Tharsheblows
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:51 PM
Personal Page

Rob What type material are you wanting to spray? Compressor size will be determined by material viscosity, aircap size. To give an example a t-shirt artist can use a 12volt tire pump compressor on a air brush. But a gunite rig (gunite is a cementisous material sprayed on commerical building walls to give different stucco type patterns) will require a trailered commpressor 800 scfm or more.
To spray gel coat one would need greater pressure and cubic feet per minute compressor than you would need to spray varnish.
I use a electric 5 hp 20 gallon tank compressor which is on wheels to roll around the shop. It provides 7 scfm at 45 psi all day long. and I have a old Cambell Hausefeild cup gun that only requires 5 scfm at 45 psi. But recently I sprayed some small gel coat patches with it. I had to thin out with acetone the gel coat to the maxium allowed and push pressure allowed on my gun to just over rated specs and spray in bursts to let compressor tank fill up to max air pressure to move on to next patch. If patches were any larger I would have had to rent a larger compressor.
The standard old type cup gun sprayers are getting hard to find. The E P A would like you to only use HVLP units which when first came out looked like a oversize cup gun connected to the exaust port of a vacume cleaner. I found them not very good at atomising the material. I have noticed thay there are new cup and pot guns on the market that look to be the old type guns and claim to be HVLP but when reading the specs they are no different than the old ones. I assume HVLP can be relative.

But to give you an idea to start with, I can spray varnish all day with 45 psi @ 5 scfm. Just be sure your sprayer or air tool does not require more cubic feet per minute at working pressure than your compressor can deliver then adjust viscosity and air cap supply to reach desired mist particulate size. Bob

RobG
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/09 - 5:12 PM
Project Albums

Thanks, Bob

I will be painting my boat with Interlux Primekote and Perfection. I would like to spray it rather than roll and tip.

Rob

moose
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 7:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Your spray gun should have a recommended minimum cfm.
Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 5:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,421,806 unique visits