View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Attaching Seat Pedestal
Gabiahn
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/09 - 10:02 AM

Comments: 0

1961-63 13-foot classic - After spending 10 hours hunkered down on a 1" x 12" plank, I decided that when I get my own boat, I and my guests will sit in comfort. I'm thinking of going with two centerline-mounted, pedestal swivel chairs. What is the best way to attach them to the floor? Thanks,

Gabiahn

Edited by Tom W Clark on 05/15/09 - 6:49 AM

jorders
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/09 - 11:18 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

screw them down with as large stainless steel screws as the holes will allow. they don't need to be any more than 1-1 1/4" long. predrill the hole to a smaller size first. caulk under the base of your chair base before putting it down and the best thing would be to put some epoxy in the hole before you screw in the screw.

jorders
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/09 - 11:20 AM
Personal Page

are you putting in captains chairs that swivel?

Turpin
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/09 - 6:25 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I would not attach them to the floor. If you are limited on expense, I would attach them to the rear bench and to the front locker cover.
On the rear bench, I would put the pedistal center of the bench and maybe put a brace between the bench and the floor. If you do the brace attach it to the bench but not the floor (less holes the better).
On the front locker, I would hinge the front side of the cover and put the mount in the center.
If the wood is not the original or some type of hardwood, I would concider replacing the locker cover and bench with something stout.
If you are handy, not on a budget per say and have the tools, you might concider what I did for my 13' that way nothing is perminant.
check out my personal page towards the middle.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 3:42 AM
Personal Page

I would look to other ways to make the existing 1x12 boards more comfortable. Screwing pedestal seats to the floor is not a good idea. The glass shell is very thin, and there is no wood backing at those points, and the floor is not even flat at those points. The normal way of screwing down things when there is no wood backing ( reaming out the foam under the hole with a bent nail or a allan wrench chucked in a drill, and injecting epoxy into the hole created in the foam,) I don`t believe is strong enough to stand up to the weight and lateral movement of a seat. I think it will tear loose very quickly.

Rich

jorders
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 5:51 AM
Personal Page

good looking boat binkie

jorders
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:11 AM
Personal Page

i have two pedestal captains chairs that you are welcome to have, but i am not sure that they will fit well in your 13.

Bruce Clarke
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:46 AM

Comments: 1

I just got a 1977 15 sport for my birthday and it has 7-8 holes each chair (x2) that were drilled in the floor for seats you are describing. The chairs were removed before my wife boat the boat. Every time I look down at the floor and see them it bothers me. I would listen to previous replies and mount to the wooded seats or make better custom seats. Some cushions from Specialty Marine would help. I just purchased some from Eric there and couldn't be happier.

It's a lot easier to replace a 1" x 12" mahogany board then fill nasty holes in your floor. Especially if you ever want to sell the boat. I feel this would only hurt its original value. I still don't know how to deal with mine. It looks like someone put some type of plastic anchor in the hole first. 3/8 - 1/2 plug in my floor. Couldn't even complain to my wife about it or I'd get thrown in the penalty box. LOL

Enjoy the summer,
Bruce

Tom W Clark
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Early 13 foot Whalers had almost no wood backing in the floor. It is all but impossible to mount pedestals in these boats unless you 'glass a base of plywood to the floor as a foundation. I've seen this done and it is not pretty.

jorders
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:53 AM
Personal Page

Bruce, i am dealing with the exact same thing but mine was self inflicted. i pulled my captains chairs out and put in a leaning post from Specialty Marine. now i am working on the holes in my floor. i have been doing some research on what to fill these will and have found a great product called Aqua Mend. it is an epoxy putty that can be applied wet, dry or even underwater. i found it at...get this... Home Depot. it works well and dried to the color of my gel coat. i am in the process of sanding now. will finish this weekend if the weather permits.

Bruce Clarke
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 9:58 AM

Please let me know how this work out for you. I have access to FREE West System Epoxy so..... I have read this works equally as well. My only issue is what to tint it with or top coat it with to get as close as the original gel coat color.
Others have posted/written to put SS flat head screws in old holes, which I can see from photos does look nice (almost factory) except I'd need a #16 flat head screw. LOL I'm thinking about re-drilling the plastic insert down about an 1/4 so I have a nice clean looking hole and then pouring in the west system. We use it a lot on furniture and tint it with powders, which works great but....never did it on a boat. Post some pics of your final project when it's completed.
Thanks,
B

Turpin
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 1:50 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

when you drill the hole, put tape down and drill through tape, this will make clean up a lot easier. Sorry if you had already known this but I keep stumbling on tricks and they seem so stupidly simple that I couldn't believe I did realize them sooner.

Edited by Turpin on 05/15/09 - 1:51 PM
1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Finnegan
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 2:21 PM

Comments: 16

As mentioned, all equipment mounted to the floor of an early Whaler had to be where there was plywood blocking under the glass.

For seat pedestals, BW designed a special aluminum casting that held the standardized round base. This spanned to where the boats had blocking or plywood in the fuel tank covering panel. This component is now extremely rare and hard to find.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v42...=R1-24.jpg.

Bruce and jorders: In the photo you can see where these pedestal bases were moved forward. Old screw holes in floor were filled with same size flat heat screw, countersunk flush. 3/4" #14 screw installed with almond silicone caulking.

Edited by Finnegan on 05/15/09 - 2:25 PM

Dogface
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/09 - 6:03 PM
Personal Page

There is another alternative for at least one seat. You can get a vertically mounted seat ped. mount which you can thru bolt to the front of the anchor well. Try Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland Ca. They either make them or have them made.

Gabiahn
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/09 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the informative answers, and the thought and time you put into them. Turpin, your treatment is very interesting. But if anyody sits in the swivel captain's chair, it will be me, not the guy in front. If I wanted to make a rigid cabin sole to attach the pedastals to, I could anchor it 4 places under the bases of the railing mounts. Your tie-down of the troller mount comes to mind, but with 1/8" steel strap.

Binkie, I've got a similar seating arrangement now, but it'll have to be replaced one way or the other. I agree that you can't just glue 'em to the floor.

Thanks Jorders, I have something in mind. I appreciate the offer. That's an impressive Outrage. What a classic Whaler look.

Bruce Clark, stay out of the penalty box. When two people come together in joyous matrimonial union, there comes a cooling-off period. One starts noticing little imperfections...in himself. A wise man quietly covers them over, sands them down, and never mentions it. A wise boat-recipient quietly covers the holes over, sands them down and never mentions it.

Tom Clark, I need the lofter's term for a latticework deck overlay. A simple framework that conforms to the conturs of the interior of the hull and covered with hardwood slats running lengthwise. Anchor it with four 1/8" stainless steel strips to the railing bases as mentioned above. A little less ugly?

Dogface, thanks for the info. I've contacted them and am awaiting reply.

Also, my rig is tiller-steered, which may or may not do well with a center-mounted seat. Oh well, I could always sit on the porta-potti.

Gabiahn

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 3:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,429,380 unique visits