View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler bow light
SeaLevel
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/09 - 3:06 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Can anyone tell me where the other end of the bow light wire exits the hull for wiring access? I have a 70 Sakonnet and someone drilled a hole right through the side of the boat near the console and screwed a wire along the outside edge under the gunwale to the bow light. Not acceptable! I got the bow light apart and the end of the original wire is still there but I don't know where the other end comes out. I would like to find out if the wire is still accessable and try to use it.

"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

nvaccaro
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/09 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page

I have an '81 Montauk. The light wire for the bow runs in the rub rail and exits near the stern but out of the side into a housing with a bus bar. The stern light also ties in at this bus bar. Hope this helps.

SeaLevel
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 4:36 AM
Personal Page

Not really, That route will be my alternative if I can't use the original wire. I believe it was foamed into the hull and exits somewhere in the transom. . Theres a kicker bracket mounted on the transom with a stainless steel backing plate inside. The wire might exit there but I don't want to tear it apart unless I know for sure. Does anyone out there know????

Joseph R Palmieri

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 6:33 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Actually the way your wires are run is one of the options to replacing foamed in wires that no longer work. The better option is to run them under the rubrail to the bow. If your boat had original foamed in wires, I am sure they no longer work, and why a previous owner took an alternate path to getting bow lights.

If the way the wires are currently run is unacceptable to you, then rerun the wires under the rubrail. Makes for a cleaner install and easier replacement.

Tharsheblows
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 2:13 PM
Personal Page

Sealevel I have a 1970 Eastport and have been luckly in that I still have the white rubber rub rail and my foamed in wires still work. To answer your question my wires come up from the floor area in what I can best describe as looking like a vein under the skin. in this case the skin would be the gelcoat. It does not travel straight but with a meandering direction to the buss bar below the anchor light on the port stern. The buss bar is mounted to cover the hole in horizional ledge. I have just replaced my bussbar and had to soldier some extensoins on wires to reach the buss terminals. That was tricky but I managed to get it done. Insulated with shrink tube. I had planned to dig into the vein and capture the wire and rework gelcoat but luckly that was not necessary.

SeaLevel
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/09 - 4:48 AM
Personal Page

I found it. There was a Radio Shack style buss bar on the port stern and the exit hole was under it. the wires were useless so I guess I will have to take the rub rail route. Thanks for the input guys.

Joseph R Palmieri

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 4:41 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,438,325 unique visits