View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Setting up a trailer
fstbttms
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/06 - 8:16 AM

Comments: 0

I recently bought a '78 Outrage 21. I also bought a tandem axel, galvanized Pacific trailer to tow the boat. My question is; since the trailer is not configured for this particular boat, what's the drill for setting it up to fit the Whaler? The trailer has one long bunk and one short bunk on each side and guide bunks as well. I have added keel rollers on all crossmembers. All the bunks and rollers are adjustable.

My initial thought is to put the boat on the trailer and using two floor jacks under the keel, raise the boat enough to clear the wheel fenders and adjust the rollers and bunks with the boat up on the jacks. Is this a stupid idea? Is there a better way to get the trailer configured for my new (to me) Outrage? Thanks.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/06 - 10:31 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

fst,

Sounds good to me.
Boston Whaler recommended to have all of the weight on the keel rollers for the Classic models.
I however, like most of the weight on the keel rollers and some on the bunks because I do not like the idea of my boat being able to roll off of the keel rollers all by itself....

I just redid one of my trailers. I put all of the weight on the keel rollers and then using a small hydraulic jack, I jack up the bunks slightly so they bear some of the weight. This does not take much jacking so don't overdo it... Make sure you get the boat level when adjusting the bunks.
You can always fine tune later by lowering one bunk or another.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 7:21 AM
Users Online
Welcome
futuredauntless
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,110
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,562,023 unique visits