View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Tachometer Connection for 1986 Yamaha 40hp
Toyon
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 3:50 PM

Comments: 0

I have a question regarding which Yamaha tachometer I need for my boat. I just bought a used 1987 Boston Whaler super sport with a Yamaha 40 ETLJ on it (2 stroke, oil injection). The remote control (No. 703) has two sets of wire connections coming from it, which appear to be for a tachometer: (1) one set is comprised of two yellow wires (combined into one connector), one black wire and one pink wire; and (2) a second set comprised of one yellow, one black and one green wire. Thus, there are a total of 7 wires and 6 connectors. Based on my research, I believe the green wire is the tach signal wire and the pink is a temp or oil level warning wire. I have looked up the types of Yamaha tachometers available and it appears that there is a tachometer without oil indicator (6Y5-83540-14-00) and a tachometer with oil indicator (6Y5-83540-05-00). I just can't tell, with the set up that I have, whether I should get the one with the oil indicator or not. Does the pink wire indicate that the oil indicator works for this set up?

I would appreciate any guidance.

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 7:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Both will probably work, but I would call a Yamaha Dealer and ask them whcih one would be best for your setup. There may be a wiring harness that will plug directly into your connections

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 7:29 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

This is something I am interested in as well as I have the same setup too.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 7:34 PM

Comments: 16

I think all engines use a standard color code. The yellow should actually be a yellow/red stripe wire, which always come from a control as a set. They are the start-in-neutral protection wires, and connect to the same color leads from the ignition harness or control box.

My experience is only with Mercury, and Mercury binnacle controls have no other wires comping from them. But, black and pink are the color codes for a fuel gauge, with pink being the sender, and black always as neg. Green is the standard color for fuel tank ground.

So it sounds to me like the Yamaha control must be wired to somehow handle a fuel gauge. It's a mystery to me, as Mercury has no such combo gauge.

To the best of my knowledge, a tachometer is never wired off the control, but rather the ignition harness, or a 3 or 5 pin gauge harness plug off the side mount control.
Tach sender is always grey, and it also includes a purple ignition, and black neg. Tan/blue is temp gauge, tan is temp warning horn, and brown/white is trim sender.

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 8:10 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The tachometer gauge on my 1987 90 and 2003 F115 is fed from the ignition harness wiring.

Partial Color Code List:

BLACK = Ground
RED = Battery Positive;
YELLOW = Ignition ON 12-volts;
BLUE = Instrument lights, choke, choke circuit,
Ground potential oil transfer, High speed Charge Coil
GREEN = Tachometer signal, lighting coil lead, knock sensor
ORANGE = Trim position sensor
PINK = Oil and overheat signal ground
WHITE = Ignition stop circuit, SW1 oil transfer off position V4
BROWN = Start circuit Low speed charge coil; Positive "+" potential
to oil transfer pump; SW2 transfer on position V4
GRAY = Warning circuit lead; Over-rev. control; Four-stroke tachometer
SKY BLUE = Trim up
LIGHT GREEN = Trim down
YELLOW/Red = Diagnostic lead from ECU
PURPLE = ECU groud to enrichment solenoid V76
BLACK/Yellow = Thermo sensor
BLACK/Red = Remote oil tank ground return, PBS to tachometer,Low speed charge coil
BLACK/White = Ignition coil primary lead
GREEN/Blue = Crank position sensor
GREEN/Red = Red oil warning light ground through SW3 in main tank oil sensor to tachometer
GREEN/White = Crank position sender; Lighting coil lead to rectifier
RED/Yellow = Key on power through fuel relay pump; power to ECU; Fuel pump and fuel injectors

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 8:23 PM

Comments: 16

Leave it to the Japanese to come up with their own color coding! There goes my theory that this segment of the outboard industry was standardized. I do think OMC/BRP uses the US industry standard codes, however.

Toyon
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/09 - 2:35 PM

Comments: 0

Does anyone use a Yamaha tach with oil level indicator out there, using a late 80's or early 90's Yamaha 703 remote control. If so, can you tell me how the wires coming out of the remote control connect to such a tachometer. Specifically, which colored wires are connected to the tachometer? Are there any wires or pin connectors that are left unused? I would also be interested in knowing how the connections are made to a tachometer without the oil level indicator. It looks like the prior owner of my boat installed two guages. I figure one was a tach, but given the wiring that I have (described above), I can't tell what the other gauge may have been.

Thanks

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 6:26 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,431,170 unique visits