View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
15' Super Sport Fuel Tank Pads?
Greg Leder
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 12:33 PM

Comments: 1

I'm new to this site and own a 1988 BW 15' Super Sport. Over the winter the rubber fuel tank pads in the rear of the boat (there are 2 - one for each 6 gal tank) have deteriorated. The boat was stroed inside, but it appears that there may have been water underneith the pads which had frozen and destroyed the pads. Does anyone know where to find replacement pads? Also, and on a related question, I would like to potentially replace the existing fuel tanks with a single unit that could be configured to take up less room - perhaps a long-tall-narrow tank that would mount behind the seat back? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. thanks!

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 12:40 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The fuel tank pads can be seen in our OEM Parts Photo section.

There is a link in there were you can purchase them.

zotcha
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 2:42 PM

Comments: 0

Hello Greg. Not sure if this aluminum tank will fit an SS or not, but do a search for zotcha, or 19 gal. 13/15 Sport fuel tank. Good Luck. zotcha.

Paul B
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 2:57 PM
Personal Page

Greg,

I used Dri-Dek all across the back of my 15' Sport. It looks good and protects the deck from averything.

Good Luck,
Paul

Greg Leder
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 5:06 PM

Excellent tips - thanks to everyone who has replied. I am not sure that the tank (photographed) will work since the seat-back on my 15' SS would have to be removed along with the storage compartment locker under the seat. That said, the idea is a good one and perhaps I could have a smaller upright tank configured to fit. The Dri-Deck material also looks to be a good option and I might decide to go that direction rather than replacing the original rubber pads. I absolutely LOVE this little boat, but the fuel tank configuration and the battery box render the entire aft end of the boat virtually un-usable; it's very difficult to navigate through all the hoses, cables, tanks, and the battery box. More comments, designs, and ideas are welcome - Thanks!

KeyRat
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 7:06 PM
Personal Page

Hi Greg,

I bought the dridek pads to go under my 14.5g plastic tank and battery box (15 sport) but returned them. I went to home depot and bought some clear plastic "feet" that are meant for furniture legs. The dridek would've worked fine but I am trying to be as minimalistic as possible. I like the look as it appears like the tank and battery are sitting on the deck but they are not. They are much cheaper too. I don't move my battery or tank (ever) but if I did, I'd use the dridek.

As for the mess of cables, I don't have the rigging tunnel so I bought some spiral wrap (again, home depot) and cleaned everything up nicely. My boat lives under a cover so I didn't need the wraps from WM that may be UV resistant.

Just my $0.02.

Gerrit

Edited by KeyRat on 05/04/09 - 7:06 PM

ioptfm
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/09 - 7:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Greg
Set up your personal page and post some photos so we can see your baby.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Greg Leder
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/09 - 5:48 AM

These are good ideas - keep them coming! My latest thought is to replace the under-seat plastic locker with a low profile and long custom tank. The configuration would allow access and filling of the tank by lifting the helm seat. I like the idea of using plastic furniture feet to mount it to the deck - this would allow any water to flow and without any messy fiberglass work.

Question: To mount something to the deck - like a fuel tank, would you use stainless wood screws and bedding compound to seal - is there adequate backing material to have secure holding? Wondering what size/length screws?

Thanks again to "Key Rat". "Tom": I will take some pictures and post. Thanks!

Paul B
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/09 - 6:03 AM
Personal Page

Greg,
Your 15' should have wood under the deck in all flat spots. There is a wood locating diagram for your boat on this website. For all screws on your Whaler, I would recomend stainless. On my restoration, I used 100% silicon for all screw placment. I pre-drilled where a screw would go, then inject the hole with silicon. Then I would verify I had enough silicon to complete fill the finish washer. As for your idea to remove your seat back. I believe you would be lossing valuable storage. You can look at my personal page to see the Dri-Dec and a 12 gal fuel tank. Good Luck, Paul

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 2:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,132,623 unique visits