View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Ideas for draining my 83 outrage 18
In2Deep
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/09 - 6:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Well Ive done my best getting her ready for the season and the same issue continues to trouble We,there is a small amount of water constantly driping from the hull,an old repair under the bow on the keel and a few old screw holes used for mounting transducers ,etc to the stern.I am concerned that while the boat sits in the water at the dock this season she will take on more water, since if water can get ont it can also get in. My plan is to drain it at the end of the season. Question is has anyone drilled the stern and put a permanent drain in? This way at the end of every season I could pull the plug and drain out anything that got in during the year. If noone has done it,why not? and what would you recommend?

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/09 - 6:47 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

No one has done that because it won't work. You have foam between the outer hull and the liner, think of it as a really big sponge. You can't simply drain the water out. The only way to find out how much water is in the hull is to weigh it, and even then you will never be 100% sure. If it were my boat, I would open up the old repair and let the foam dry as much as possible. then redo the repair according to whaler's instruction. As for the transom, fill the old screw holes and always use caulk under any new ones you make. I assume that you have bottom paint on the boat, if your planning on leaving it in a slip. Once all that is done, go boating and enjoy the boat.

jollyrog305
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/09 - 6:57 PM
Personal Page

Possible option ???? - http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/016514.html

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 2:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Take a look at what has to be done, you might as well fix it, it's probably not as bad as you think, I had those problem's and repaired them (ay, I'm no jean-yus, so you can fix it too). Many older Hull's have some water in them, they just keep going. Good Luck !

Matt

Turpin
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 4:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

From my experience of wet foam, I drilled holes in the bottom, not to the swiss cheese amount but a lot. Some holes I would get a little water other holes maybe more maybe less so I thought it was fairly dry. Later (4 months) I had to cut a section that was very near the holes drilled and I found that the foam was still wet, really wet. My point is that in theory it should work but from mine and others experience here it has not because of the foams ability to trap the water. You may get water out but probably only in the area associated to the hole.

Edited by Turpin on 04/27/09 - 5:00 AM
1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 5:42 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

While Jeff installed a drain in his Dad's Guardian, I would take the boat and weigh it to identify how heavy it really is.

As many have reported, if the boat has a small amount of water, the effort to remove it is not worth it.

If you do have significant water intrusion, a single hole will do it. Water permeates the foam but does not travel much. Using a vacuum with a vent hole has been debated with the consensus being it has marginal results.

Once again, get the boat weighed.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

In2Deep
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 9:40 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for all the informative responses. I would weigh the boat in a heartbeat but believe it or not the closest weigh station is 60 miles away!! I did a semi restoration over the winter after recieving her last fall, and am concerned about sinking too much money into her just(new Mills canvas) to find out its waterlogged . Trying to avoid making a poor investment.
Thanks,Jerry
Thanks.

Eri
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 10:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

My 1982 18 Newport had the same dripping issue. I had mine upside down for a few weeks while restoring it this winter in a basically enclosed plastic bag with a dehumidifier runniing. While it did pull out water for the first few days it was not a significant amount. I am sure the foam is still wet. One problem though is trying to fix the holes while the water is still dripping out. To that end maybe you could attach a dehumidifier with a smaller 3 or 4 inch vent hose to the specific area of the leak and maybe it would dry that area enough to repair it. I tried some stuff to stop the drips initially but nothing worked even the stuff that is supposed to work when wet.

Eric

Derwd24
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 10:53 AM

Comments: 9

I had the same issue in trying to seal up a test hole that I'd drilled which was still wet. I used a hairdryer to get the foam in the immediate area to dry enough so that the West System epoxy would set properly. Got the job done.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

In2Deep
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page

Yes that is one of the issues,I cant get the repair to take with the water dripping out.

MW
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 2:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

When I repaired my drain tube I used a rolled up Diaper (high wicking effect) in the drain hole to absorb moisture for a few day's, result's were marginal, I really didn't want to use "Marine Tex" but, I knew that it would cure wet, it did.

There's a weigh sta. in "Inwood", it's owned by the "Town Of Hempstead" so I don't know how we can get access.

Edited by MW on 04/27/09 - 2:25 PM
Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 12:42 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,435,508 unique visits