View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Transducer Location on a 13
burtim
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/09 - 6:44 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Got a Humminbird 700 series sonar with side imaging. Does anybody have experience with mounting a transducer on a 13? I only want to drill two holes. I don't want to do it twice!

I understand most people agree that Port is better side. Any ideas or pictures of what spot works well?

Edited by Tom W Clark on 04/22/09 - 1:33 PM

Turpin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/09 - 8:21 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I was gettting ready to make the same post. I have a 63 13' and have the same question, if you move to far from center there is a stablizer to deal with so it is hard for me to imagine a good clean spot.

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/09 - 1:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I used "Joe K.'s" suggestion of a small block of "Starboard" epoxied to the transom, mount the transducer to that, then you don't have to drill any holes in your boat, transducer "change out's" are a snap.

Matt

burtim
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/09 - 5:59 AM
Personal Page

Well, I have the transducer mounting block. The bigger question is, how far left of the motor to mount it. If anyone has a photo, that would be great!

jquigley
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/09 - 6:38 AM

Comments: 1

Hey Burtim, manufacturers usually suggest at least 1 foot from the lower unit of your motor, but not on a strake or other area that will cause turbulence or be in the way when it goes on the trailer.

They also suggest that you run your transducer wiring away from other electrical wiring, like your lights, etc. due to possible interference.

(oh yea, forgot to mention, after hyping the 'bird, I bought a Lowrance HDS unit. I heard they have a new upgrade for the current units to be introduced later in 2009 that allows side imaging capability.) This allowed me to also get a new Minn Kota Traxxis, with variable speed. Its a transom mount, I didn't want to horse around cramming a bow mount in my boat.

Its been a while since I updated my project. I will try to get to that next week. My anniversary is this weekend so I don't think I'll be allowed to work on the boat.

burtim
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/09 - 11:31 AM
Personal Page

Just an update.

Port side is not always best on a Whaler. I don't know where that originated.

Took the boat out last week with the transducer mounted on a 1x4 so it could be moved around the transom and clamped down. It looked silly cruising with a pipe clamp and boards hanging off the back but it proved interesting findings. Kind of like my own version of "Myth Busters".

According to Humminbird, if your screw turns clockwise, go strarboard. Counterclockwise (viewed from behind) go port side. Hold the jokes please. With the Mercury 40, screw goes clockwise, starboard is correct. They want the transducer on the side the prop enters the water to minimize turbulence around the sensor. I moved mine all over. The best spot was just left of the starboard edge at the highest spot of the hull bottom. I was able to maintain imaging with all modes on the 798ci SI at every speed. That wasn't true in any other location. I ended up mounting the tranducer higher than I would have guessed as well. Once the final mounting is done, I'm waiting for the weather to clear for a confirmation test.

On a newer 13', if you want it to read right, mount it right (as in on the starboard side).

moose
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/09 - 2:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I used 5200 to adhere a piece of aluminum to the transom and mounted the transducer to it. No holes in the transom. It's been on there for quite a while with lots of hours and shallow water.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 9:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
swtruluck
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,089
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,442,702 unique visits