View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
aqua blue / turquoise
longhorizon
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/09 - 8:49 PM

Comments: 0

I am rehabbing an early 70's vintage 13'3". I would like to paint the interior in as close to original color as possible. I want to use a polyurethane (single or two part) but nothing exotic like Awlgrip or Imron. The closest match I could find on the popular color charts is something called 'bikini blue' by Petit. Does anyone know whether this comes close, or does anyone have a different suggestion?

Many thanks!

longhorizon

Dannis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/09 - 4:06 AM

Hi there!

There are probably many great options and other members may have other and better suggestions. I just restored my 13`and used a Hempel two - part product called "Pacific Blue" I think it looks the part. Here are some images of the boats before and after.

http://picasaweb.google.com/belugadan...#slideshow

Best,

Dannis

drandlett
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/09 - 4:35 AM
Personal Page

A couple years ago I repainted my whaler with Petit Easypoxy bikini blue. See my personal page for pictures of it freshly painted.

The color is not bad, however not spot on. My biggest issue with the paint is durability. There is not a day that goes by that I do not regret my decision to use easypoxy over gelcoat. In fact I am getting close to have the interior soda blasted and regelcoated (couple years away).

The two part paints may be much more durable, I can't speak to that. If I were you I'd at the very least use a two part and avoid the easypoxy if at all possible.

Good luck and have fun.

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/09 - 6:19 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

To you question I used the easypoxy bikini blue on a little Mckee a several years ago. It is close enough to the correct color that you would be happy with it.

I have to ask though, if you are going to paint why not spend the money on the two part paints. I used the easypoxy on my first project the I used Awl grip on my 15 whaler. I sprayed both with the same gun. If you read and follow the instructions with awl grip it is very easy to get a great finish. You will have to do the same prep work for single or two part paint I would really lean toward a two part paint. You will never be sorry you did.

LabCab
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/09 - 7:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Try www.softsandrubber.com and look for Bluewater Paint's Mega-Gloss. I think the turquoise is closer to the color on my '72. It's a one part polyurethane paint similar to Brightside. There is a white primer for it and some mix in rubber granules to make a non-skid surface. If anyone has used this product I'd like to hear about it. It had good reviews on another boat forum. Jamestown Distributors has it cheaper but their paint swatch on line is off color. It's about $15.00 a quart there. I ordered it/ have it and I might get a quart of white or sky blue to tone it down a bit. Bikini Blue (Petit) is a bit too electric to my eye. In some very old posts a guy recommended mixing in a little white. According to this site the gel coat blues were hand mixed and the earlier blues are more sky blue and the later blues had more aqua. I have not found a two part paint, other than Awlgrip that I like. Jamestown has quarts of Whaler Blue Awlgrip but the whole system costs more than I have in my boat so far. Let us know what you use as I will likely be prepping and repairing my project for several more weekends,

longhorizon
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/09 - 8:36 PM

Thanks all. My original reason for the one part paint was that it was the closest color match I could find. Bake, now that you mentioned Awlgrip, of course you've got me thinking. I used it on a sail boat deck (applied by brush) and it looked great and lasted forever. I didn't know it came in a BW color match. I will speak with Jamestown D when I place an order tomorrow. Don't think I'll spray because I'll be doing it inside the Family Room!!

Bake
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/09 - 5:02 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I have never rolled on awl grip but If it levels itself out the way it did on a couple of places I had to touch up I think you will be very satisfied.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 10:42 AM
Users Online
Welcome
swtruluck
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,089
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,443,245 unique visits