View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Raymarine A65 on a Nauset?
Mr T
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/09 - 7:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

The new electronics package comes with a GPS, fish finder and map chip. The installation instructions state to keep the display unit as far as possible from VHF; the antenna is on the starboard console side. Radio on the lower shelf.

It also states to keep the sounder module near the transducer, which would place it in near the stern in the open, which I do not want to do.

The console is not that big so kinda worried about interference.

anyone have any exeprience with this package?

Been a bunch of delays getting Ray to ship the stuff, finally got word it went out yesterday. I'm going for halibut Saturday so need to get on this.

Thanks all,

Fishmore
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/09 - 10:43 PM
Personal Page

Hey T,
I do not think you will have a problem with interference. I have my GPS antenea GPS, Fishfinder and VHF radio and antenea all within 2 feet of each other with no problems. Make sure everything has a good ground. Before mounting note your compass reading and after mounting and turning the unit on note any compass deviation. Make any necessary adjustments to your compass.

As far as your transducer module. You do not want to cut the transducer cable any shorter than it is as the transducer is tuned for that length cable. If the transducer cable is long enough to reach the console you should be good to go. Just mount the sounder module in the console.

Regards Tim

Almost forgot if you forget to note the compass deviation then the first time you have the boat on the water travel in a straight line (pick a bouy to go after) and note your heading on the GPS (make sure the GPS is set to give it's heading relative to magnetic north not true north) then check the compass heading and correct any compass deviation. If your electronics give out you want your compass to give a correct heading.

Edited by Fishmore on 04/15/09 - 10:48 PM

Fishmore
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/09 - 11:16 PM
Personal Page

I was thinking about my previous post and thought I would share a story about the compass.

Many years ago before GPS and Loran was around you steered by using charts and a compass. My friend was a commercial Salmon fisherman and he was out with his brother fishing near the Farralon Islands in light fog about 20 miles or so off the coast of San Fransisco. Well they had loaded the boat and were on the way in so my friend put his brother on watch and told him what heading to follow to get back to the entrance of SF Bay. When my friend went below to take a nap his brother sat down at the wheel and quickly got bored so he took out his portable radio and placed it on the console near the compass to listen to the game during the slow ride in.

My friends boat was an old wooden boat with a 2cyl engine and it made about 6 knots. So a couple of hours later when my friend awoke he started looking around and realized that they were not at the entrance to SF Bay they were near Point Reyes (about 20 miles north of the entrance to SF Bay) He got on his brothers case about not watching the compass and his brother pointed out that they were still on the correct heading. Then my friend noticed the portable radio and removed it from the console. Suddenly the compass needle swung back.... The magnet in the speaker of the portable radio had drawn the compass needle that far off course, Lesson learned.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/09 - 4:22 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I find it hard to believe and counter-intuitive that the manual for the DSM25 sounder recommends an installation location other than the console.

cf: Link to manuals download

My Garmin sounder module is on the underside of my console top. I would suggest a location under the console or bench seat, rather than an exposed location (on the gunnel or inner transom). The transducer cable is 30 ft and the data/power cable is 11 ft.

When adding electronics, you might consider the overall layout and possibly moving the VHF to increase separation between the sounder and VHF.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Mr T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/09 - 10:39 AM
Personal Page

I agree but it states very clearly in section 2 to place the module as close to the transducer as possible.

Either way it's now in the console, front port corner, head unit on top, and GPS antenna on port side front ot windshiled. Gonna have to work that way.

Phil T wrote:
I find it hard to believe and counter-intuitive that the manual for the DSM25 sounder recommends an installation location other than the console.

cf: Link to manuals download

My Garmin sounder module is on the underside of my console top. I would suggest a location under the console or bench seat, rather than an exposed location (on the gunnel or inner transom). The transducer cable is 30 ft and the data/power cable is 11 ft.

When adding electronics, you might consider the overall layout and possibly moving the VHF to increase separation between the sounder and VHF.

Mr T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/09 - 7:40 PM
Personal Page

Just an update, it's been a few weeks now and 5 trips later I am very pleased with the unit. That bigger screen is such an improvement to be able to read at speed, and the silver navionics chip that came with it does give me as much detail as I need for my type of fishing.

The only down side was the fact that the unit does not have WAAS capability for the GPS, but after using it for a while it really doesn't matter. I don't need that much resolution.

Fit perfectly on the console too.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 5:55 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,448,719 unique visits