View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Awlgrip worth it?
Charing
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 5:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

So, help me explain to my wife why Awlgrip is worth it to refinish my '60 Sport 13. Of course, all suggestions for paint and color are welcome.

Bake
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 7:26 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I used it on my 15 project about 7 or 8 years ago and it still looks great.

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 8:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Tell your wife that you can use Easypoxy, which is a one part paint and the boat will look good for a year or so, then will need to be repainted, or you can use AwlGrip, and the finish will last 10+ years. The prep work is the same, whatever the paint you use. If you can get her to help with the prep work, (sanding, women hate to sand) she`ll be all for AwlGrip.

I hope Kamie doesn`t take this as a sexist remark,Shock

Rich

jarkesy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/09 - 2:26 PM

Awlgrip has a nice finish but is easy to chip and tough to spot patch, awlcraft 2000 is alot easier to work with and can be wet sand and buff back to shine. Gelcoat is the toughest of all and the hardest, also is it to get the finish to come out right but in the end Gelcoat will hold up to the elements and be refinished correctly to original.

Class of 73
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/09 - 2:50 PM
Personal Page

I am painting my 73 in the next week or so with Emron from DuPont. I think I can do the whole boat, except the floor with a 1/2 gallon. It should run me about $250 for the pain, primer and hardner. I have some painting experience I am keeping my fingers crossed. Is the Awlgrip much cheaper? What about the quality of the finish?

Class of 73

Barryg
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/15/09 - 5:05 AM
Personal Page

Guys , I am not sure why people do not use Gelcoat? I just applied to my 15 and it did not seem to be any harder to work with than the other paints I have used( Awlgrip and Interlux) BG

Hotwired
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/17/09 - 7:09 PM

Imron is probably the best route to take on a refinish. Airline jets, High end offshore boats and most commercial buses use this paint. Nothing sticks to it and pretty much all you have to do is rinse it. You will never need bottom paint.
It is probably more durable then Gelcoat. When I had a fender bender on my Chevelle SS the paint bent with the dent and did not crack.
The problem with Imron, when applying it, if you value life, you must have a live air system because the paint will harden in your lounges the same way it hardens on your boat.It doesn't care what you spray it on. Without live air it could make your breathing a tad rough by the time your done.

kamie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/09 - 5:29 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Rich, not a problem, I actually don't hate sanding but that's probably because I spent lots of quality time finishing and refinishing furniture. If you want a good finish in the end, you have no choice. For non-marine work, I prefer steel wood to sandpaper.

Barry, I think gelcoat has this image problem, that and it takes lots of work to lay down, it's expensive and way too much work to maintain. People who go right to the paint, have never tried to bring faded gelcoat back, just wait until the paint fades and they have to repaint. Gelcoat on the 13 has lasted 37 years and not counting the repairs, I could have it looking good in 1 maybe 2 days of compounding and waxing.

LabCab
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/09 - 8:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Gelcoat is the best but let me point out that Jamestown Distributors has custom mixed Awlgrip in Whaler Blue on their website. IMO an early Whaler will have more value and appeal if you retain/restore the blue interior.

kamie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/09 - 9:56 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Charing,
you could try to bring the geloat back before you paint. use a product called Buff Magic, followed by a good wax.
Photo's help us see what your talking about, setup a personal page. If you try to bring the gelcoat back and you still can't get it to shine nice, at least you tried. Your wife should cave at that point.

Derwd24
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/09 - 2:20 PM

Comments: 9

I have Imron on my boat, previous owner had it painted about 10 years ago now, and it doesn't look great unfortunately. The smirk is very chipped from what I assume was his mooring ball hitting the boat, and as Hotwired says, safety is a concern when working with that paint. I'd like to gelcoat to bring it back to original but don't think I can over the Imron. The thing that gets me is, as Kamie states, there was probably nothing wrong with the original gelcoat but oxidation.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Charing
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/09 - 7:58 AM
Personal Page

Everyone:

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I've talked her into the Awlgrip, but now I'm wondering about gelcoat! Whatever happens, I hope to report back with photos soon. As usual, Whaler Central has come through.

charing

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 4:06 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,437,930 unique visits