View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
'84 Montauk Wiring Question - Accessory Switch
wjsherid
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/09 - 7:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have an 84 Montauk and need some advice/insight on what all the existing switches are for. The panel is original Factory Installed.

So I am talking about the electrical switches on the right. After much investigation yesterday, I found that the switch on the right is actually the "Master" power switch to provide juice to the two other switches...

I have two other switches, one is for the Navigation lights, which now work after I figured out that the Master has to be on for those to work

What I am perplexed about is this switch called Accessory? The only accessory on the boat was a fish a beat up fish finder that was wired directly to the battery, not this switch. I can see a blue wire depart this "Accessory" switch, but I lose it quickly....anyone got any idea of what this would of been for? Since it has taken me a year to figure out that to get juice to these circuits, it clearly isn't anything on the boat.

The reason I ask is I am planning to add a bilge pump, and would like to harvest this switch to activate it.

See Picture in my personal page for details.

wjsherid attached the following image:

[30.49Kb]
Edited by wjsherid on 04/12/09 - 7:34 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/09 - 12:59 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The accessory switch activates or supplies power to anything that is connected to it.

This switch makes it easy to turn OFF power to all the accessories when you leave the boat. If this switch is OFF, then you know all your accessories are OFF.

The way you have it setup now is that you have to make sure your fishfinder is OFF before you leave the boat.

You don't have to use this accessory switch but it is there is case a person chooses to use it.

wjsherid
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 8:39 AM
Personal Page

Joe - thanks for the help on this. After much digging, I realized the only thing connected to the accessory switch right now is the light for the compass.

One challenge I am having now is that the 30a Toggle switch must be worn to the point it doesn't have the sticking power when I put a Rubber Toggle Cover on it. I thought the old one was so worn that it was holding it down, but when I put a new one on, the switch still won't stay in the "On" position.

I looked at West Marine and now at Overtons, but I still cannot find a 30a Toggle switch. This is that one "End All" switch that powers everything electrical on the boat (Nav Lights, Accessory Switch, Horn, etc.)

Any ideas?

robwhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 3:18 PM

WJ,

Are you sure that isn't a 30 amp circuit breaker? Is it just under the ignition?

Regards,
Bob

Regards

wjsherid
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 4:30 PM
Personal Page

Yes, it is a 30a Circuit Breaker, but is disguised as a Toggle Switch. This breaker must be on for anything to work aside from the motor. e.g. the Lights, Horn, etc.

If you look at the picture, on the left are the two chrome pulls, then two Fuse holders, then on the right by itself is this "breaker" Where does one go about purchasing a new one?

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 5:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I would call your local Boston Whaler dealer.

Or, call Sue at Twin Cities Marine. They are a Master Boston Whaler dealer and one of our Sponsors.
Look in the upper right for all of our Sponsors.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/13/09 - 5:11 PM

gentry2007
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/09 - 5:41 AM

I'm having a similar problem. My navi lights don't work. I know all the wiring is there and they are hooked up. I have a dual master switch in the console. Is this original or was it all on the console from the factory. Thanks Gentry

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 6:38 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,440,030 unique visits