View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Vintage 13' Whaler
flatfish
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 4:35 PM

Comments: 0

I'm a new member and have a question. I own a late 60's 13 foot whaler that looks like its been kept in a time capsule. No bottom paint, wood is perfect, all original gelcoat still shines in and out, no cracks with original Johnson on the back with cable steering. It has never had a drill put to it and the only thing I am missing is the rear light staff. Honestly it could pass as a new 1969.
Am I nuts to paint the bottom and leave it at my saltwater dock?

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 4:37 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

That is a tough question. Only you can answer that.

I would be inclined to buy a lift or something similar and keep the boat out of the water with NO bottom paint.

jquigley
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 4:44 PM

Comments: 1

Is it really inconvenient for you to trailer this thing? That bottom paint is a permanent decision. I would not want it on mine, but you don't want it to be a pain in the butt to use your boat just because you didn't paint it. Welcome to WC, too.

Edited by jquigley on 04/07/09 - 4:46 PM

flatfish
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 4:55 PM

thanks guys. My question is only based whether I'm ruining some family heirloom by painting it.
I am thinking that I'll barrier coat it before I put the paint on. Tricky waterline to get right.

jquigley
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 4:57 PM

Comments: 1

I would not paint it unless it will be a pain for you if you don't. I mean a real pain. Paint will decrease your resale value if you ever decide to sell it as well.

Derwd24
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 5:06 PM

Comments: 9

Bottom paint is such a mixed blessing. We have our boat on a mooring for a few months each summer in the salt water, and if it didn't have any bottom paint on it, I'd have no problem pulling it out every 2 weeks or so for a bottom cleaning as an alternative to painting. Sounds like you have a real gem there, you may want to really give it some thought before deciding to paint.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

ioptfm
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 5:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Granted that it will take away from the value some what down the road, but did you buy the boat to preserve or to enjoy! You need to make the decision that is best for your situation and lifestyle. I can assure you that salt water will really screw it up if it's left for even a few weeks if the bottom is not protected. I see it here every summer. Tourist come in and rent a slip for a few weeks and then when they pull the boat out they are in total disbedlief when they see the grass, and creatures that have attached themselves to the bottom, no to mention the almost permanant stain. Sad I doubt very seriously that the bottom being painted would prevent so.eone from buying it down the road if they really wanted it, so do what is best for you. Please set up a personal page and post some photos so we can all see this beauty. Grin

Edited by ioptfm on 04/07/09 - 6:22 PM
Tom
1979 Sport 15'

MW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 5:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

If you want it "Perfect", don't bottom paint it, trailer or lift it out of the water. If you are going to moor it you'll need bottom paint.

Matt

CES
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 6:49 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Sell it to someone who would appreciate a classic more than you do and buy a newer Whaler and keep it in the water instead of this one.

Just my .02

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Jeff
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 6:53 PM

Comments: 34

Please do not bottom paint it.

Mad Hunt
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 5:41 AM

PM sent. Please do not paint the bottom of that boat!

Kevin

flatfish
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 10:34 AM

now I'm torn....

ioptfm
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 10:44 AM
Personal Page

flatfish wrote:
now I'm torn....

Why don't you offer the boat for sale to all of those that want a purist perfect boat and get absolute top dollar for it and then buy one that you can enjoy. Smile I notice that several that have said to keep it original and don't paint didn't exactly follow that same train of thought of keeping it original when configuring their boats for their particular liking and comfort.

Edited by ioptfm on 04/08/09 - 3:52 PM
Tom
1979 Sport 15'

CES
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 12:41 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Great idea Tom. Keeping this boat in the SALT water is like someone taking a classic, original '68 Corvette and turning it into a daily driver........just ain't right!

Cliff

ioptfm
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 1:43 PM
Personal Page

CES wrote:
Great idea Tom. Keeping this boat in the SALT water is like someone taking a classic, original '68 Corvette and turning it into a daily driver........just ain't right!

Now you freshwater boaters have got to give us saltwater boaters a break.......................If proper precautions are taken a boat will last just as long in salt water as it will in fresh water...........I've seen a lot of fresh water boats that were falling apart due to no maintainance and precautions..........I say regardless of what kind of boating you want to do, take care of it and by all means enjoy it to it's fullest potential!

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

CES
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 6:11 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Tom,

Don't get me wrong, I may not have been clear with my point. I was really referring to keeping the pristine and classic boat in Salt water for long periods of time, long enough to require anti fouling paint to keep the bottom clean, not just using it in salt water. Peace on that issue. I grew up in South Florida and didn't know what fresh water boating was until I was well into my 30's. Some of my best boating days were in salt water and it's wonderful. I just had visions of an awesome classic sitting at a dock for months at a time.

Cliff

Mad Hunt
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/09 - 6:43 PM

Flatfish,

I just went back and read your post again. You don't by chance live in Rhode Island? If you do the boat that you have is most likely the one I tried to buy this winter. It was an all original 1969 13' with a Johnson 20hp and the stern light was missing. The boat was in Cape Cod and the owner was in Ohio. Nice boat, and yes you would be nuts to paint the bottom and leave it in the water. Did you get the PM that I sent to you?

Kevin

drandlett
#18 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/09 - 4:44 AM
Personal Page

Not that you need yet another persons opinion.... If it were me, and it was gonna spend summers moored/docked in salt water I would apply an epoxy barrier coat (Interprotect), then apply abblative bottom paint, no questions asked.

If you are debating trailering for weekends then no paint needed, just good washings after use.

For me, I would always pick the option of leaving in the water with bottom paint, infact that is what I've alway done, its all I know.

In the end the boat is yours, use it and enjoy it as you see fit. Just be sure to think through all options.

Good luck

ioptfm
#19 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/09 - 6:22 AM
Personal Page

Smile This has been one of the most "Fun Threads" I've ever participated in..........It's great to see all of ideas! Smile

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

flatfish
#20 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/09 - 1:53 PM

Flatfish here.
The boat is originally from NH and was in a Winnipesaukee boat house since new. It does have a Johnson on it but it's 25 hp not 20 hp. It looks like a complete 1969 boat, motor, trailer package, which was a pretty popular set up back then.The trailer is a painted Tee Nee (?). A couple of dips in the salt water and I expect that the trailer will be dissolving on me so I need to think about getting a galvanized one.
The boat has never had any electrics. No battery strap scars/holes. It also still has the transom plate/sticker.

I've owned many boats in my life but never owned a 13'. I did spend a hell of a lot of time in these boats in my childhood though. A few of my "rich" friends (or rather their families) owned them back in the day. The hot set up was a 40 Evinrude or Johnson that we would "block up" with a piece of 2X4. Cavitated like crazy but the chine mombo was exciting. Of course, the boat always felt like it was going much faster than it actually was. Only lost one motor off the back doing it too.....a motor going off the back of a boat at high speed an be pretty violent. We laugh about it now. Also jumped many tanker wakes and have seen a 13 blow over backwards in the air (and it only had an 18 on it). We all survive but some of these memories make my hair curl (what's left of it). I'm also pretty certain that I'm not the only one with whaler stories. Another fact is that I still a childhood friend of mine running a pristine 1968 with a Merc 500M on the river. This boat still reigns supreme as the fastest boat in our group. Goes like a bat out of hell. A bit dangerous actually.
So now I'm just waiting for the spring schoolies to show up in a few weeks and enoy the boat I always wanted to have. It doubles as my river boat and a tender to my Downeaster. I'm thinking the paint is going to go on it. Blue ACT over a barrier coat. You only go around once.

FF

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 6:15 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,422,272 unique visits