View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Working with Spectrum Gel Coat - Patch Paste
mattgeiger
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Fixing a few dock dings. I have the stuff here from Spectrum Color. Instructions are pretty basic. I'm familiar with adding and mixing catalysts. I've got my putty knife, rags, hairdryer, sanding block, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 papers, my Porter Cable polisher, 3m compound, 3m Finesse It, and wax ready to go.

My Questions:

1. Temperature. Is there an ideal temperature - or minimum temp? - I'm working in a garage, but believe it or not it has been snowing here in Atlanta all day. I know from working with West Systems epoxies, temperature plays a huge role in cure time. I'm in no rush to do this if warmer weather helps.

2. Filling. Using a good putty knife, should I fill it flush? or should I expect some shrinkage - and therefore overfill the repair? (No that's not a cold weather reference).

3. Any additional advice is appreciated.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

AirSav
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 3:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

When you hear something, let me know.
Kevin
1987 Montauk

mattgeiger
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 3:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I found this after googling - actually from a .doc on the Spectrum site:

Spectrum gel coat Patch paste is a factory color matched gel coat that is converted into a paste form that spreads like Vaseline, sets in approximately 30-40 minutes, and will stay in place on vertical and overhead surfaces.

HOW TO USE PATCH PASTE :
* Clean area thoroughly to remove oils and waxes. This should be done before sanding, using acetone diluted with 10% water. Use paper towels, changing often, to prevent contamination. CAUTION : acetone is highly flammable, use carefully. Dispose of paper towels properly.
* Rough and/or sand area to be repaired using course sandpaper, sharp instrument or small grinding tool such as a drill. The object is to get enough “tooth” to repair area to assure a good bond. Use a tag rag to remove dust, take care not to damage surrounding areas. Masking tape around the repair area will minimize this possibility.
* Place a small portion of patch paste in waxed paper cup and add M.E.K.P catalyst at approximately 12-15 drops per ounce of patch paste (2% by volume). Take care to mix thoroughly to assure an even surface and to minimize air entrapment.
* Using a Plastic putty knife or spreader, apply catalyzed mixture to gouge or scratch. Leave area slightly raised
* Let the repair cure thoroughly, normally 2-4 hours, or preferably overnight.
* Start sanding cured repair with 200x wet paper. Sand lightly, working your way down to a finer grit 400x to 600x wet paper. As you sand with finer and finer paper you will notice the shine starting to brighten.
* Buff and polish repair to achieve original shine

HINTS FOR BETTER REPAIRS
* Work at room temperature (75 degrees F)
* Heat repair area with a lamp or hair dryer. CAUTION : Be careful using electrical appliances around flammable materials. Elevating the temperature of a repair area will accelerate cure time.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 30, 2024 - 6:00 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Scott Klaire
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 2
· Total Members: 50,033
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,173,214 unique visits