View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Ideas for elevating the boat for painting?
schoir22
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/09 - 7:01 PM

Comments: 1

I plan on painting the hull (waterline down) of my nauset with Interlux Perfection. Water line up is fine. At the very least the hull should be painted in 3 sections port, starboard, transom. In order to do this I need to raise the boat completely off the trailer or tilt the boat on one side. This type of paint doesn't lend itself to sliding the boat in one direction or another to paint where the bunks normally sit.

I have an engine hoist.

Any ideas for raising the nauset off the trailer while I paint her?

I though of boat stands but the bottom of the boat would rest right on the stands given the shape of the hull.

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 7:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

If you have an enjine hoist you should be able to lift the stern......slowly slid the trailer out and position something like a sturdy saw horse under the boat........Paint the area up to the supports....let it dry then slid the swahorses one way or the other and paint the unpainted area

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

schoir22
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 7:44 AM

Comments: 1

What I am worried about is the area between the dried paint and the newly painted ares. Perfection is a high gloss paint that should look almosts sprayed when finished.

The motor will be off, so we are looking at 900-1000lbs

MOB
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/09 - 8:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Lower the trailer as far as possible, block the stern of the boat up with a variety of setups. Jack stands work great if you use wood between the hull and support plate. Got a chainsaw? Measure the distance between the bottom of the hull and ground when the stern is lifted, go find a 16" dia tree that is down and custom cut to use for blocking the stern up.
Smiley face here. Point is, block the stern all you want, all you need is to leave the bed rail area accessible for painting. Now use the tongue jack to raise the boat.
Make sure both sides of both tires are blocked. Double check to make sure your fwd bed rails are ok. Lay a couple of temporary spacers between the gap between the hull and rails for added balance and safety.
Reverse this process to paint the bow area.

bigmike0601
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 3:02 PM

Comments: 0

I did this just yesterday. I've got a 64' Currituck no motor on it while doing this, but I'll do it next year with it on.

Engine hoist and 1x20' tow strap with heavy duty hooks. Sling middle of boat and lift it up. You'll have to go up and down several times to find the middle of the boat with both the strap and the lifting point. Once you've found it get it off the trailer and paint away. Don't do it on a windy day or it'll scare you. The strap area should be paintable when back on the trailer. Sounds crazy, but it works and it's easy. I use to do blocks, but that's just too much work.

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 4:03 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Can you drop the bunks on the trailer? That way the only thing not painted would be the keel where it sits on the rollers.

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/09 - 8:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Personally, I wouldn`t get underneath a boat hanging from a hoist, and swinging in the breeze.Shock That's not the way I want to go.

Rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 7:29 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,423,139 unique visits