View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Newbie whaler questions
19nauset63
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/06 - 5:27 AM

Comments: 0

Hello-
I recently pruchased a 1963 Nauset with a 1962 Johnson 40. I am the second person to register this boat as this was purchased from a fellow who got it from the original owner, but never had any time to get to it. It is really cool and has the original bimini and forward cover. I have a few questions:

1. What is the weight of this boat? The boat came with a 1963 Holsclaw tilt trailer that rattles like mad when I drive down the road. I have another trailer ( about 1750lbs. capacity), but want to make sure that I do not overload it.

2. Is is sacreligous to get rid of the original trailer? I dont have a 1962 Ford truck to complete the picture.

3. The original owner wore out the original console and I plan on building another. Is ther anyone who has done this?

I am sure more quiestions will arise as I get into this project. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

danedg
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/06 - 3:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Mike,
Please send us a picture(s) of your boat...
If it's in great shape, you should be able to replace the motor and trailer, and have many years of boating enjoyment....
If you are a handy carpenter, mechanic, and electrician...you will enjoy many hours of working on your boat to do the same....
If you are not...you will be spending many hours here on the website discussing the multitude of issues that arise, because of being a boat owner...
I will say...you've bought an excellent boat!
Please steel yourself, and your checkbook, to bringing her back to perfection...
Whalering is addictive, expensive, and a whole lotta fun!
Dan

danedg attached the following image:

[31.6Kb]

danedg
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/06 - 4:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Question 1> Have you been boating before?
2> Where are you located?
3> Have you surfed this entire website? Almost all of your questions have already been answered.....
Enjoy!

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/06 - 6:16 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Mike,

The bare hull for the 17' models weigh around 900 pounds.
You will have to add the engine, console, and seating to give you the total weight.
Including the weight of full fuel would also be helpful to give you the total package weight.

A trailer doesn't last forever so a new trailer is usually beneficial unless this boat is going to go into the Smithsonian Museum... For me, the boat is the most important thing to keep original as possible although some items can't be helped.

Montauk Jim
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/06 - 6:54 PM

Comments: 0

Mike,

I restored a 1982 Montauk. The hulls are esentially the same. A new Montauk weighs approximately 1400 pounds without the motor. I think your boat would be similar.

Excelsior woodworking can make an original specs console for your boat. I cannot locate their phone nuber, may Jim Knight can help (continuouswave.com)

Definitely go for the new trailer, safety first.

A whaler is very easy to disassembly and reassemble. Take this opportunity to replace as much mechanical equipment as possible. You can do this and maintain the original look of the boat.

I have 90 HP on my boat and it will run about 40 mph. It does not have enough power to pull me up on 1 water ski, but has no difficulty if I am on two (I weigh 200 pounds)

Good luck and enjoy your whaler.

Montauk Jim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 11:04 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhturner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,111
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,564,479 unique visits