View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
One Tough Whaler!!
litespeed
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/06 - 9:44 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

We took a week vacation this year to Anna Maria Island on the West Coast of Florida. We do about the same routine every year (been doing it for 26 years).

While we were there we had a great opportunity to use the boat. The water quality was great because of the West wind. The wind blew
out of the West the entire time we were there (except the last day).

My plan was take the boat and put it in on the Gulf side. Drive it arond. And have it Anchored (moored) right off the beach for the duration of our stay.

The plan worked like a charm. I pulled the boat out for the 4th fireworks. The beach gets pretty crazy these days and I did not want to risk a fire.

When the boat was in the water.... We had a blast!! With the wind out of the West the water was really calm and the water was really clear. We did some
Tarpon fishing, snorkeling and beach and sand bar hopping.

We had an incredible time!! Beatiful sunsets, fun cookouts, etc.....

However...... The day before we left I saw that the wind was supposed to shift from the East to the West. I had been anchoring (mooring) the boat "Bimini" style for the duration with 2 large anchors (Good heavy anchors). All with 3/8" line and no chain. Every day at dusk I would go out, tie everything in the boat together (in case of a bad storm), and tie both the lines to the "ski eye" on the bow (not the Norman Pin).

Anyway, on the last day I was got up a little early (around 5 A.M.). I stuck my head out the sliding door of the condo. to find my little Whaler riding the waves and the Surf like some 80's cartoon. Problem is that the weather was getting worse and the waves were getting pretty large. Every 4th or 5th swell was a breaker that would smash the
boat HEAD ON!! The surf was around 3 to 5 feet at this point. So, my plan was to try and get it out of there before it got much worse (and it did). I had some coffee and some
water and hit the surf... Oops... The undertow was so strong that I had to use a mask, fins, snorkel and walk about 1/4 mile down the beach up-current from the boat. I have done
this kind of thing several times. So I was not uncomfortable. But let me tell you! Those waves were HUGE!!

Once I got to the boat... I could not believe it was still actually "Moored". Waves were crashing all over it as I was trying to board the boat. The storm had created a small
sand bar just off the beach. This put the boat right in the middle of the "Breaker zone". Every wave was smashing me and the boat. The wave would crest across the bow, smash
across the inside of the boat and exit out the stern. INCREDIBLE!!!

What to do????

I finally got into the boat after several tries between the waves. Now what? I ran back to the engine, tilted it down and got it primed and started before getting smashed by waves again.

I almost got washed out of the boat 2 times before I could get the engine down and started. With me in the back of the boat, the bow was going over the waves instead of through them. Very Hairy!! The boat would go vertical before being caught by the anchor lines!! Once I "thought" I was ready to go.... I rushed to the bow and tried to reach under the bow and un-tie the anchor lines (right!!). There was no way in hell I was untying those anchor lines! I took about 7 or 8 more huge waves thinking about how to deal with this situation. All with the enging running and ready to go.

I knew if I could break free of the anchor lines, I could get out of this mess. So...... AH!HA!... My new filet knife!! I ran to the cooler and grabbed the knife. More waves.... Smash, smash, smash, smash...... After getting my breath and clearing the salt from my eyes.... It looked like the time to cut the line! I ran to the bow, reached under the bow, and under water and in a huge swell..... I cut the lines!! Now..... How do I get this knife back in the cooler without killing myself (I may need it again). I run back open the cooler and WHAM.... A smaller wave hits
me broadside. The boat is moving quickly with the current. I opened the cooler threw the knife in and ran back to take control of the "still running" engine.

The boat is completely swamped from all the breakers!! I am literally swimming in the boat to re-take control in these swells and breaking waves. In the process of re-gaining control I am hit
again by 2 more BIG breakers that nearly flip the boat due to the lack of anchor lines (pulling the bow down) and the huge amount of water (and weight) in the rear of the boat.

I made it!!!!! I punched through the surf which had now gained another foot in height. Now all I had to deal with was close, steep 8' swells. I decided to take the ride between the troughs.I had much more control riding between the waves than trying to blast through them. They were just too tall and too close to take head on.

BOOM........ The engine dies!! I try to start. It fires right up. Put it in gear.... It dies..... I AM WAY TOO CLOSE TO THE SHORE for this!! OMG.... So....., in panic, I tilt the engine up..... The anchor line got wrapped around the prop????? How did this happen??? I ran to the cooler grabbed the knife again, Ran to the bow (smashed by 2 more waves), cut the rest of the line off.... What about the engine?!!! I tilted it back down and Jumped in the water with the filet knife!! I grabbed the lower unit and dragged the knife in all directions from the front of the lower unit towards the prop (VERY sharp knife). I did not look...I could not see, nor did I have the time. I jumped back into the boat. All the time getting smashed by HUGE waves. I was ready for
the boat to flip and the conseqences. For a minute...... I honestly thought this would be my fate. Ride this thing to shore and watch it get smashed to pieces.

But, I made it back in boat, got the knife sheathed, started the engine and re-gained control.

I'm out of here.... This boat can fly and this was the time to shine.... NOPE..... Turns out that the easy part was heading into the seas at an angle. Now I had to turn the boat and head in with the HUGE SWELLS (much bigger in the inlet). Going with the swells was near impossible because of a weight imbalance in the boat (me and all the gear). I could not out power the swells (very bad). I had to re-trim the engine. Fine....... No problem now...... I surfed those HUGE, BREAKING SWELLS all the way in.

Once inside all was well. There was still a 1'-2' Chop. NO PROBLEM after all of that.

I made it out fine and the boat is fine. Not even a scratch.

The bottom line is that Boton Whalers are TOUGH AS NAILS. They are so tough, that I firmly belive that you can take them out in any condition and be safe. The boat can handle anything. The only limitation is the owner (skipper). How much can you handle? And are you willing to take the risk.

Testimony to a very good design and a VERY tough boat!!!!

dshiv
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/06 - 4:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I was at Anna Maria for the week of July 4th and experienced the weather too. I got caught at Eggmont Key during one of those afternoon summertime Florida thunderstorms. With 5 aboard my 22' Outrage Cuddy, we strapped on the pfd's and made back safe. I would agree, a Whaler is solid.

Livingwater
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/06 - 5:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

What a great story litespeed...

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 4:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,476,795 unique visits