View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Maybe no more Red Snapper fishing on east coast for a while
Brian7son
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/09 - 11:07 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Apparently, they have been overfished since the 60's. A short term ban is being proposed. Evidently, they did the same type of fishing ban years ago with sea bass and they bounced back remarkably well.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009903060332

The only problem I see is in trying to release them after catching them in deep water. My concern would be when you bring one up from 200 feet and his bladder is inflated and his eyes are popping out. I've been told that you can puncture the bladder with a filet knife and release them and I have seen this done. Sure, they do swim away, but I'm not real optimistic that they survive very long after that.

moose
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/09 - 11:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

don't use a knife. There is a venting tool like a seringe needle that can deflate them pretty well. there are some commercially available products but you can also make one from supplies available at the farm supply stores.
Also, I hope the snapper population returns as fast and as well as the redfish did. There are redfish all over the place here. If nothing else is biting, we can always find a few reds to catch, and sometimes more than a few. I watched a boat with 4 on board catch and release at least a hundred reds a couple of months ago. In the right place with the water moving you can't hardly cast without catching one.
Mike

Guts
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/09 - 12:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

The only problem I see is in trying to release them after catching them in deep water. My concern would be when you bring one up from 200 feet and his bladder is inflated and his eyes are popping out. I've been told that you can puncture the bladder with a filet knife and release them and I have seen this done. Sure, they do swim away, but I'm not real optimistic that they survive very long after that.

Trust me they will die! if they have the bends/ they will not live. I fished ground fish commercially for almost ten years, hook and line also gill nets. Believe me the fish and game will fix this problem like they did here they will close fishing in those areas, or regulate it so that dose not happen, just give them time they will fix it you will see.

Welcome to the club! here on the left coast, they have banned and bottom fishing over 60 fathoms. I like to fish 75 to 200 fathoms. Can't do it any more. Now I a forced to fish close to shore, and I focus on wiping out all the sport fishing (or use to). When I go out to fish I Do Not want to play with the fish, Just put the meat on board. I haven't bought a fishing license for 4 or 5 years, the California fish and game aren't getting my money. now they started Lobster Cards last year, another racket! It's like raising taxes to create revenue. It dose just the opposite. Now I buy Mexican fishing license and not a California license. I can be in Mexican waters in less than 30 minuets. The environmentalist want to stop all fishing every where. boy I'm going to get beat up for saying that. But that is my option after commercial fishing for years, and seeing the tuna fleet move to foreign countries.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 10:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,513,908 unique visits