View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
EPIRB on board?
Phil T
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/09 - 11:09 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

In reading about the phase-out of EPIRB's using an analog signal to units broadcasting a digital signal, I am curious who among you carry one or plan to add this piece of safety equipment to your gear.

While I have a cell phone and get good reception 95% of the time and have a VHF, if I ever went in the water (cell now dead), there is a decent chance I would not be able to get back into the boat for one reason or another and the shore could be too far away to swim. In this scenario, would a personal EPIRB would make sense?

Take into consideration:

- I boat alone 95% of the time.
- Often am on the water in the early spring, late fall
- In locations with little or no maritime traffic.
- Cold water temperatures (40 to 65 degrees.)

While I am very safety conscious (vest on all the time, no exceptions; monitor VHF ch. 16; wear kill switch etc.), I have a family to consider.

Please share your thoughts.

Edited by Phil T on 01/31/09 - 11:10 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/09 - 11:43 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

There has been a lot of confusion on this , but my understanding is that they are phasing out 121.5 and 243 MHz frequencies. Search and rescue (SAR) groups worldwide will only monitor the 406 MHz frequency, which is dedicated to digital locators. Apparnatly these receivers are capable of picking up digital and analog signals, but not on the lower frequencies of 121.5 and 243.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/09 - 3:06 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

EXCELLENT IDEA ! All true, also watch out for low sale prices on unit's that are being phased out. I think it's a FANTASTIC idea to have an epirb on board, you can never have enough safety equipt.. It's an investment in your life (priceless when needed). I boat in the Bay and creek's but, I keep a Hand Held waterproof VHF radio that I got for $59 (mid-land), it's difficult to use as a reg. radio but, it goes right to ch.16 when turned on, I keep it in the RDB (Rapid Ditch Bag). I convinced my friend to get an "EPIRB", he goes out into the ocean alone a lot, now if I could only convince him to keep a PFD on (I'm working on it). Avg. Rescue time response for an "EPIRB" is less than 30 minutes, A SMART INVESTMENT ! Always keep in mind that in an "EMERGENCY", you are going to go through a lot of emegency equipt. and ya gonna use them up FAST !

Troy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/09 - 10:36 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Phil, I think this is a great idea. I think we all need to occasionally evaluate our safety gear. Let's face it, having the right safety equipment at the right time can mean the difference between a "good story" and death. Protect yourself, protect your family!

Troy
1985 Outrage 18

wrangler
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/09 - 10:58 AM

Comments: 0

If you do not want to buy a big epirb, you can do 3 things.

West Marine rents them for about $60. a week. If you think you need it some times, but not others, this may work.

There is also a Pepirb. P stands for personnel. They are smaller, (pocket size) and cheaper. The battery is good for 24 versus 48 hours, but still work off the satellites.
You go overboard, you have it on you.

Use a float plan, notify someone on shore in writing, where you are going, when you are coming back, desciption of boat etc. If you get into trouble, rescue people will at least have a starting point.

CES
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/09 - 12:30 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Wow, this is great stuff. Tom, I knew the 121.5 MHz VHF freq was going away but I wasn't aware that the UHF 243.0 MHz Military freq was going away too. So is the new 406 MHz going to be used my the Military too?

This is an interesting topic. I do a lot of fishing in a lake nearby and I am usually solo or with my two small kids. Though I have ample cell tower coverage for my phone, I do not have a handheld radio or an epirp. Once the phone gets wet, it's pretty much useless and not an effective emergency tool.

I like what wrangler said about the pepirb...and would consider looking into purchasing one of those.

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to reading more about this topic.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

MW
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/09 - 1:27 PM
Personal Page

They do make a clear waterproof case for cell phones that can attach to your PFD, avialable "On-Line" or at "Theft Marine". Depending on where you live, a fixed mount VHF radio might be a better idea, check with local marine rescue (USCG, Marine Police, Bay Constible, etc.) They'll tell you what the best to use in your area is. There is also a FREE sticker given out by the USCG aux. that you place on, or near the VHF radio that gives simple instructions on how to "hail" for help in an emergency on a VHF radio. Most of us know how to do this but, does the guest on your boat know how to do this when YOU go into the water, or get hurt ? It's "FREE", contact your local USCG station for more info., I know they have them at the booth at the boat show, and in some marine stores. You might also want to put "Marine Police" or what ever agency reacts the fastest in your cell phone directory.

Edited by MW on 02/01/09 - 1:35 PM

Guts
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/09 - 9:06 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

I have had a 406 EPIRB from ACR electronics for years. you can see it on my personal page [console] One thing to remember, they have batteries! and need to be replaced. The cost is about $300.00 bucks, along with a other part included. now about Safety! I want to get a Floating Orange plastic strip. I do not know what they are called sorry. The purpose is it makes it easier for air craft to see a Orange strip floating in the water, than a person in a life vest. They are rolled up until ready for deployment, easy to store and inexpensive.
Adding this...

These are called Rescue Streamers® I will include a link. look at the video and click on buy online to see them they range from $34.95/$49.95/mariner $54.95 Inexpensive I believe for what might save you life. What do you guys think of them? Joe I'm trying to post the link if it dose not go active could you maybe fix it, thanks in advance.
Link;

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

Edited by Guts on 02/02/09 - 11:27 AM

CES
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/09 - 11:40 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Here ya go.

www.rescuestreamer.com

Edited by CES on 02/02/09 - 11:42 AM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

MW
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/09 - 1:46 PM
Personal Page

GREAT IDEA ! This is a great discussion topic ! Ton's of idea's for safety, and if we did'nt care about "THAT", we would'nt have gotten Whaler's !

Yiger
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/09 - 1:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Great thread! Some of you know that I'm a Coast Guard helicopter pilot. Let me be clear- EPIRBs will save your life. If you are purchasing one, get a 406; if you have a 121.5 or 203 hanging around- continue to use it until you are ready to replace it with a new 406 model. The USCG is supposed to no longer monitor 121.5 and 203 ELTs anymore, but obviously if we hear the signal being transmitted we will still look for the source. The 406 is better because it can transmit your current position in addition to the locating beacon.
People often assume that they will be easy to see from a helicopter if they fall in the water. The fact is that a person in the water is almost impossible to find unless they have some sort of signaling device handy. During the day, a mirror is best. At night, a strobe or flare work well. Radios always work well and you should only purchase handhelds that are water resistant or water proof. Consider that only your head is above the water after falling overboard, and we may be searching an area upwards of 50 or 100 square miles. While the helicopter is easy to see in the air, the victim is not easy to see in the water. Brightly colored life jackets won't even help much because they will be mostly submerged while worn by a survivor. Someone suggested filing a float plan, and you would be surprised how helpful they can be to constructing an effective search plan. Just be sure you close them out when you return to shore. Cell phones are actually becoming the most reliable means of communication the CG has with people in distress, but only when the phone is dry, in an area that has service coverage, and for comms between the boaters and a CG shore station. Those of us in the helicopters and CG boats will not be able to talk to you via phone and we are the people out there looking for you. If you need to talk to us, simply hail "Coast Guard helicopter (or vessel) in the vicinity of #####, this is the vessel ##### calling on channel 16". We will respond to you quickly and provide whatever assistance we can. Hope some of this info helps.
Jeff

Edited by Yiger on 02/03/09 - 1:14 PM

Little Tunny
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/09 - 7:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have a AquaFix™ I/O 406 MHz PLB w/ GPS Interface & Onboard GPS and recomend it for your use. It's not terribly heavyc and omes with belt loops which makes it easy to wear. I wear it when boating alone offshore. It's manually triggered, and not auto triggered by being submerged like some of the fixed models (this is a feature that will cost you big bucks). I think it has enough battery life to put out a continuous signal for 24 hours, and batteries only have ot be replaced every few years if not used.

Be sure to get the one with internal GPS.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 8:18 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,137,926 unique visits