View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cushions for Dauntless 13
flight risk
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/16/09 - 4:29 PM

Comments: 0

Hello, I am glad to have joined a board with all who loves their Whalers.

I have a 1998 Dauntless 13' and the cushions are getting in bad shape. I have the fiberglass console seat with a back rest and the gas tank underneath. I have had several quotes that put me in the $600 range and I think that is to much.

My question: Can someone give me the measurements from their 15' or 17' Dauntless cushions with the fiberglass console?

Apparently no one makes these cushions. I have contacted my dealer, Specialty marine, upholstery shops, and finally whaler who says that Dave's Custom Upholstery made them, but no one answers the phone there and I cannot find a website!

Any help, thanks.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 01/17/09 - 9:02 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/16/09 - 6:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

flight risk,
My question; Can someone give me the measurements from their 15' or 17' dauntless cushions with the fiberglass console?

Question?
What does the fiberglass console have to do with cushions?
Seats vary. RPS, Captains Chairs, Leaning Post, etc... The seats have nothing to do with the console...

Question?
What type of seat(s) does the 13' Dauntless have?
An RPS? or something else?

Dave's Custom Upholstery has a website and is listed in our 'Vendors Web Links' section in the left sidebar.
They are the first one on the list and their name is 'Anderson Mfg. and Upholstery Inc.'
http://www.whalercentral.com/weblinks...?cat_id=24

Ask and you shall receive.
Look around and you will most likely find what you are looking for.

Not sure exactly how many cushions you are looking for but cushions are NOT cheap.
An RPS cushion runs about $225.00 by itself.

boopete
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 3:27 AM

Halls does a great job. My 17ss originally came with cushions, but were missing when I bought the boat. When I received my 5pc set from Halls, I couldn't believe I only had to move one snap to install all the cushions. Lois is easy to work with and like the old saying goes, "you usually get what you pay for"

flight risk
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 6:23 AM

Thank you for the response. The only reason I stated a fiberglass consloe was because on the whaler website the console isn't listed until a "foot note" so I assumed it was a special order.

I will review the website (Dave's) and make contact with them.
What is an RPS cushion?

I do not have captains chairs, it is a cusion attached to starboard (or a derivitive) that was fitted to the console (sitting inside the console form). I have come to the conclusion that I can take the cushion off, atttach snaps to the starboard, and put a cooler cushion on, in place of the permanent cushion.

Again, thanks for the replies.

I have a 17" x 34" seat (attached to starboard) and a 7" x 34" backrest (attached to the movable rail)
I figured cost would be around $3-400 but I thought $650 for two re-uphlostered cushions, that easily detached was a little high... Am I wrong?

Edited by flight risk on 01/17/09 - 6:28 AM

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 7:10 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

In reading this thread, I got a bit confused. From the description, I was not clear which cushions you are referring to.

In search the web for photos of your model to review , I found this boat for sale with several good photos.

The cushions I see in the link are the reversible pilot seat (RPS) in the rear and a cushion on the cooler, forward of the console.

Are these photos similar to your boat?

Tom W Clark
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 9:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Console: The fixture to which the controls are attached. This is where the steering wheel is.

RPS: Reversible Pilot Seat. This is what you sit on while piloting the boat

I suspect that flight risk means RPS when he says console.

All Dauntless 13s have a fiberglass console. The RPS was the standard seating with a stern deck fishing package as an option which featured a cushioned bench seat.

There was also the option of an Igloo cooler in front of the console which had an upholstered cushion as well.

If you really want it done right, call Lois Hall. You can even send her the old cushion and she will replicate them/improve them as you desire.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 01/17/09 - 9:14 AM

flight risk
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 9:16 AM

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Yes, that is exactly what I have. I guess the RPS is the name, but when it is said to be reversible...it only has one side to sit on.

The rear pilot seat is attached to starboard and sits in the formed console (this would be the pilot console)

I do not use the forward cooler seat as a seat so I am searching for the RPS and the Backrest cushion.

The little Dauntless apparently wasn't very popular.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 01/17/09 - 9:27 AM

Tom W Clark
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 9:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

The RPS reverses by swinging the seat back forward so you can sit facing backwards.

I am unclear if what you have is original to the boat. I suspect it is not. Do you have a photo to share?

The Dauntless 13 was quite popular though only made for a few years (1995-1998) when it was replaced by the Dauntless 14.

The rear pilot seat is attached to starboard and sits in the formed console (this would be the pilot console)

I have no idea what that means.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 01/17/09 - 9:37 AM

flight risk
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 11:05 AM

I have photo's but do not know what to do with it... I tried cut and paste and it does not work.

flight risk
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 11:12 AM

here is a picture of my RPS

flight risk attached the following image:

[56.85Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 01/17/09 - 2:50 PM

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 11:14 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

That is the RPS... Reversible Pilot Seat.

The console is in front of the RPS and has the steering wheel and engine controls on it.

You can flip the back of the RPS forward so 2 people can face to the rear when fishing or watching water skiers, etc... The captain can then stand up and steer the boat at that time.

flight risk
#12 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 11:58 AM

roger that... apologize for the confusion and lack of nomenclature knowledge. I just didn't know what to call it.

Does this clear everything up? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Where can I get the cushions? I have sent Anderson an email. Has anyone ever modified the seating area?
What does the RPS weigh?

Sorry for all the questions... I am trying to reduce weight in the aft portion of the boat and am looking for alternatives but until then I need cushions!

Again, Thanks.

Edited by flight risk on 01/17/09 - 12:09 PM

Phil T
#13 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/09 - 2:45 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Just so you know, there is no thing here as a bad/dumb question. We are all here to help.

Keep asking and we will give you as much information as we know (alot). May take a few exchanges, for clarification, but that is the fun of it. Pfft

If you have questions on other aspects of the boat, performance, gear etc, it would be great to start a new thread/topic for each one.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 9:30 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,520,601 unique visits