View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
The Great Whaler Raffle
ritzyrags
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 11:36 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

I am sure that all we need to do is to get the word out that something good and positive is trying to get some momentum here.
And there is no need to say that I am serious about getting all the guys together into putting something like that afloat.
I will not go on and on about the virtues of getting all together on this one ..
And to quote Clint as saying to take warm and cosy showers together until the wee little hours of the morning here, BUT Hey. This is a positive action plan that can be easily develop into something great.
There is already three of us that will put our money where our mouth is.
The Idea was to at first to get YOUR personal unit refitted but after looking at all the complications to get her done..
(Thank You Cable Guy for lending me this handle here)
It was found to be numerically unpractical.
The project evolved into a draw format (still)
But this time involving the draw of a brand new hull.(To be determined)
Now the target Is 500 tickets @ $100 each.
Damn good odds to me as I see it here.
Just do the math..The more you look at it the more exciting it gets.
Is it at all possible that we don't need this type of excitement?
If you guys need a bit of a lift here this is the perfect occasion to get this project off the ground.
I will pitch in from my locale here.
Let's get some of you experts giving your two bits here..Shock

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

ritzyrags
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 11:39 AM
Project Albums

Thank You Matt,
Well folks, that makes three official submissions for getting this well deserved project off to the boat ramp.
Now if we could get on board some of you well equipped and connected parties out there;
Figuratively said to put some "Power" on that transom..
There is no doubt in my mind that this raffle management project will be a reality.
Has any of you thought of an official name yet?
"The Great Whaler Raffle" ..maybe?
I am sure that I could get the numbered 500 Draw tickets printed soon..Unless one of you is a printer with a printing facility that could do the job..
Next, a dialogue could be established with Chuck from some of us that are talking with him on a regular basis.
And this just to get his input and advise on this Raffle project.
Nominations for Managers and Executives would be welcomed.
Someone(s) will have to hold the monies in trust and look after unforeseen details.
I am still volunteering from my end here of course.
From the great white North.Cool

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

scrimshaw
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 3:46 PM

Comments: 0

Serge, I'm good for a ticket ! Something like this has been done but it was for a new Whaler. Last summer on the Cape the police sold 500 tickets for $100 each and gave away a brand new Montauk. I didn't win.
http://hyannisnews.com/Hyannis-News/1.../1069.html

Edited by scrimshaw on 01/13/09 - 3:53 PM

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 4:19 PM

Comments: 16

Raffles are a form of gambling, but only allowed, I believe, if for the purpose of raising money by a charitable organization.

I realize tht many are done in private groups and companies, under the table so to speak, but conducting one on the web for non-charitable purposes may not be legal, or content WC wants to host.

Perhaps one of our lawyer participants may have some comments or suggestions?

sraab928
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 5:12 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I would be in if it were done.... who says it has to be for profit... if the prize were equal to the price of the tickets? I am not a lawyer and this is really just my opinion.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

ioptfm
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 5:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

The idea is a good one, but a lot more involved than simply printing tickets. Some form of trust vehicle will have to be setup for the protection of not only the participants purchasing the tickets, but the executives that are overseeing the raffle. Exact procedures need to be constructed from the very beginning to cover all of the bases. ie: What model boat and motor,,,,,,,,how will the winner claim.....The executives should be bonded.......what happens if 500 tickets aren't sold.....How will refund be returned...........Where does any excess fund go......Taxes....Etc......Not to mention approval from the WC site admins....
I by no means am trying to discourage this as I think it is a great idea, but a lot of homework needs to be done before it can be implemented......

Edited by ioptfm on 01/13/09 - 6:30 PM
Tom
1979 Sport 15'

ritzyrags
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 7:33 PM
Project Albums

Well of course,Guys..
This is an ongoing project that can evolve into something very exciting here.
My take on it was that;
The venerable Whaler company did enjoy the fact that a lot of their products were still being enjoyed by a lot of fateful boaters Coast to Coasts.
And that in order to stay in business and prosper a lot of newer models must be sold on a yearly basis..
I know for a fact that I wish that I could afford a new hull every second or third year, but as a group I think that I can safely say that this ideal is not for the majority of us.
On the other hand a raffle like this one would be a positive movement in the right direction from a group of guys like us in the fact that We may not be able to get a newer model at this time but by "doing something about it" it will be a definite gesture toward the brand or perceived as the next best thing to purchase.
By showing this kind of efforts, it is at all possible that the Brunswick group would answer in kind and possibly meet our efforts with some of their own..
I think that this would be the kind of mentality that would be conductive to successful interactions between the Brunswick group,the dealership part of the business and of course all the brand loyal boaters personally.
I hope that I haven't forgotten to mention that there is a lot of details to be ironed out,thank you Tom
And a ton of good fun to enjoy in making it happen.
So far I have heard FIVE solid commitments toward the purchase of a raffle ticket, and this is just getting off the ground.
Thank You Jim and Scott for being real and being there
when it counts.
It is after all totally up to us to make this one really happen.

Serge.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

ritzyrags
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 10:38 AM
Project Albums

Hey Jim,

You know what?
Next time around let me know of the POLICE Whaler raffle.
I may just buy a ticket here.
But really the goal on this idea is to make it happen among ourselves.
With the boat of our choosing,preferably but not necessarily brand new hull.
With our personal efforts,
With time and another Raffle project folding; out there;
We may be able to use the "set up" or vehicle and make it happen.
It is very possible that some of us could whip all the details together, having it done many times before..
The old Romans having taken the notion of Raffling through invasions;no doubt;
have been known to have famous raffles.
It was a common and important part of "The Games" at the Roman Coliseum.
Everything from food, wine and slaves where raffled at each event.
Taxes and gambling are also part of the old Roman culture.
And have been kept in all parts of the world after their decline.
What they have taken from other cultures upon invasion was left as heritage to the world after their retreat to the Roman lands.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 5:59 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,518,315 unique visits