View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler work in Virginia?
mjstri
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/09 - 8:46 AM

Comments: 0

Hey everyone,

I've got an early '70s Eastport I'd like to fix up, and was hoping for some recommendations of shops that can do good glass/gelcoat work. This is my primary fishing boat, so I don't have the time/desire to do the work myself. I live in Nofolk, VA, and keep the boat on the Eastern Shore, so anywhere in coastal VA, MD, or NC would be doable.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/09 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

I sent an email to someone that is down that way who may have some suggestions. I will let you know if they respond.

filthypit
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/09 - 1:25 PM
Personal Page

You're prolly better off doing the work yourself, as it's the type of thing that'll never payoff. You'll never make your money back if you gotta pay someone else to do the work - mainly because it's such crappy work. The resin part is easy, the sanding is insane ~ and, the more you sand, the nicer your work will look. If your boat has any spider-cracking, that will need to be sanded down before you can repair the area ~ so, that's even more sanding. The only way to stop the gelcoat from failing (spider-cracking), is to sand it off & recoat.

The only ppl I know who do repudable fiberglass work are either building boats in Manteo or building surfboards. The good thing is, you have Eastern Burlap/Fiberglass in Norfolk, so you can get your materials easily.

Jeff Murphy @ Production Off Road has done nice work on a cpl of old boats. They have a full-service body shop & are really experienced painters. Plus, he's a personal friend who can come to us & ask questions. We're gonna spray our 21ft Outrage (1972 #640) this winter, in his spray booth.

Good luck!
Wili & Harry

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/09 - 4:11 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Matt,
how bad a shape is the boat in? It is amazing what you can do with rubbing compound and wax. If you have really bad spider cracking and want to paint, the prep work to have someone else do it would be expensive.

mjstri
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/07/09 - 5:29 AM

Thanks to all for the input. The exterior gelcoat has a good bit of cracking and discoloration, and is pretty much rubbed off at the low-point of the spine (glass is visible) due to beaching. There is also a fair amount of spider cracking and general wear on the blue interior gelcoat. There's one small area of compromised fiberglass on the bow gunwale from a piling collision. I would love to do this work myself but would probably screw it up, and would also probably finish the project sometime in mid-2017. Sounds like I might not have a choice, but just to humor me, can anyone ballpark what it would cost to have this professionally done?

I do appreciate the suggestions...thanks again!

jollyrog305
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/07/09 - 8:19 AM
Personal Page

sent you a PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 8:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
BigAirJames
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,104
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,519,901 unique visits