View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Putting in a fuse block
mikewarner
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/09 - 2:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I am in the process of completely replacing all of the wiring on my 87 SS. There are wires going everywhere p fusesand some wires going no where. A new year and a fresh start! I want to install a fuse block on the inside of my center console.

I need very basic connections to run the following:
1. Bow and Stern lights
2. Bilge pump
3. Depth finder

Where can I get a fuse block? What amp fuses do i need? Also, I need a stern lamp!

Thanks

Mike

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/09 - 3:40 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Mike -

Having done a complete re-wire on a Montauk and Outrage 17, I prefer using blade type fuses not the glass cylinder type.

I recommend a Blue Seas 6 circuit block with negative bus and cover

Another option is to install a simple buss bar and have fuses next to the switches. The depth finder could be on an accessory switch. Something like this
I went this way on my Montauk. See my personal page.

These items are available at West Marine, Boaters, Hamilton Marine etc.

As for fuses, I would guess 3 amp for lights, 6 amp for a 500 gpm bilge pump and 5 amp for the depth finder. If you have the manuals for these they will list it. If no manual, you can do a web search on the manufacturer's sites.

Do you have the stern light bracket and need a pole or the whole thing? If only the pole, Perko carries replacement poles.

Edited by Phil T on 01/02/09 - 3:41 PM

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/09 - 3:28 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I went "old school", and used the buss bar and fuse block for the glass fuses, I was able to salvage them from the wire mess that was handed to me from the previous owner ( I was also just about out of money after purchasing the boat). I ran some "Romex" from the battery to the buss bar (it's been working for 20 years), everything else was ripped out by me because, it was all red wire, no legend, and a nightmare to work on, so I took it all out and re-wired from scratch (it was easier). Make sure you leave some extra fuses and accsry. area's on the new fuse block as you will be adding toy's to the boat over the years. You can also direct connect the accsry. to the battery using a dedicated wire with an in-line fuse. I found that running some of the wire through a hose helps too, it extends the life of the wires by mostly keeping them out of the sun, keeps splash off of them, and can be easily attached with "cable ties" to just about anywhere. "Homey-Depot" has a huge supply of poly hoses sold in any length (bulk roll, you buy by the foot). I use "American sci-plus" on line for electrical supplies, they also have those "Kooky" thing's all us inventors need.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 4:27 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,134,757 unique visits