View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1972 Katama to Sakonnet conversion
charkbait
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/08 - 8:12 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 1972 hull that was originally a Katama that I will be making into a Nauset but with a version of a Sakonnet casting platform...wish me luck.

I uploaded some photos of my progress so far and will try to post all my questions in here to help those who would like to try this after me. Right now I have it stripped and have drilled out any deck holes and filled until I ran out. Tomorrow I'll continue filling and put my (hopefully) second to last sanding on the interior.

My first question is about water in the hull. You'll see my past posted picture of my 37 year old through-hull fitting. It has cracked due to freezing at least 3 times and I can feel wet foam obviously. Prior to starting my tear down I did some exploring with a 1/2" drill bit and have gotten no water to drip from the hull. So I went from great happiness yesterday to pulling the through-hull today...ugh. So how much water is too much water? What if I decide to run it as is and not dump a lot of time or money into the boat, what will happen and how long will it take Any slick tricks to drying it out some before sealing it up?

This boat will be a battle wagon due to my type of fishing, I mostly island hop and surf fish from the beach. The boat will have some nasty gear in it, sand, be continually beached, etc. I like the classic Whaler look and plan to put a mahogany console in it, which I already have but need to refinish. The interior will be done with Durabak, I was on the fence with this one but feel this makes the most sense for my situation. All these factors make me want to just live with the water in the hull and not spend any more time or money then I have to in dealing with it.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

I'm about 7 hours in.

http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo...r%20Rehab/

Edited by Tom W Clark on 02/02/09 - 9:29 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/08 - 5:54 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Good Luck, it looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Nice project. Do you have the console and seat yet?

Trying to figure out what you are doing.

1. Katama
2. Nauset
3. Sakonnet

The only difference between the Nauset and the Sakonnet is the RPS and the front platform.
What type of seat are you going to use?
If you use the RPS from a Sakonnet then you will be making a Katamasonnet.

I also assume you are going to put in the wood Nauset/Eastport/Sakonnet style wood console... Correct?

Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/30/08 - 6:03 PM

charkbait
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/08 - 7:54 PM

You nailed it Joe, I have a mahogany RPS and Nauset console, guess you are right, it can be a sakonnet without having any ties to a nauset!

I finished up my filling today and sanded some of the hull while waiting for it to dry. Hope to do my final interior sanding tomorrow and install my PVC through hulls prior to the durabak.

With the wet foam what is the best way to install the through hull fitting?

Also, what should I do...if anything... to the wiring tunnel? Is there a step I should be doing to check that?

charkbait
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/09 - 7:20 AM

Got it half primed last night and should finish it up tomorrow morning.

The 5200 cured on the thru hulls and I got them cleaned up and they look and work great.

I should be Durabaking Thursday afternoon or so and hope to have a 'boat flipping" party and watch the Raven's continue their march on Saturday.

I've been repairing the sides of the hull while waiting on my dry times so I have a head start there. I'll update pics once primed.

Either I'm really bad at spotting deck holes or the interior portion takes a very long time. I was still filling and sanding holes I found last night, 8 days after starting. The cleanup prior to priming revealed some less then desireable screw holes.

charkbait
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/11/09 - 5:01 PM

The wife deleted a couple progress pics but the Photobucket album is updated through tonight.

I was about a half gallon short on Durabak, I like the results, only time will tell on durability. I plan to get a full gallon and use the extra to thicken up the floor even more. The rubber in the Durabak could make a difference when on your feet all day in terms of some cushion. I had to thin the second coat to get better coverage. If I had it to do again I would have thinned the first coat. If I had done that I might not have run out. I spent 12 hours or so on the interior prepping, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding. I followed the Durabak instructions to a T so if it doesn't work out it should be product and not installation.

As you can see I'm going without a rub rail, outside of ramming a dock I don't see much need, I like the blue on the rail too!

Oh, and the hack patch work on the hull is from me using my left over Evercoat while doing the interior, instead of tossing it I just filled my gouges as I went along, I've got some serious sanding to do on that...

I don't think it turned out bad.
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo...1231722031

Edited by Tom W Clark on 01/11/09 - 6:38 PM

charkbait
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/09 - 9:10 AM

Updated through barrier coat this weekend, starting to take shape nicely. Hope to paint next weekend if I can get it warm enough in the paint shed!

Jeff
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/09 - 9:36 AM

Comments: 34

Fixed link

charkbait
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/09 - 4:47 PM

One more coat on the hull and then need to get to the console.

[img]http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/charkbait/Whaler%20Rehab/DSCN0381.jpg?t=1234140295[/img]

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 8:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
BigAirJames
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,104
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,519,907 unique visits