View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow Eye
Aloha Dick
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/23/08 - 9:49 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My bow eye has come loose a bunch of times over the years and as a result has taken some of the fiberglass on the outside of the hull with it. How do i keep the bow eye from destroying my bow? Its from being winched, and the torque from the hook tries to turn the eye.

theo
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/23/08 - 10:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I repaired mine by digging out some foam and building the area up with fiberglass and mat from the inside out. (I skipped trying to finish off with white gel coat so I have some minor cosmetic "inconsistency".) It's a 15' so there isn't a lot of strain, but I winch it onto the trailer and I anchor in weather at times. Been solid for a couple years now.

Aloha Dick
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/24/08 - 9:26 PM
Personal Page

theo wrote:
I repaired mine by digging out some foam and building the area up with fiberglass and mat from the inside out. (I skipped trying to finish off with white gel coat so I have some minor cosmetic "inconsistency".) It's a 15' so there isn't a lot of strain, but I winch it onto the trailer and I anchor in weather at times. Been solid for a couple years now.

Sounds like what I was planning on doing. good. I also have a winch hook too big for the bow eye. I can't find any that fit the bow eye properly.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/24/08 - 9:29 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Put a galvanized long leg shackle on the bow eye and then hook the winch hook to that. Worked for me on my Montauk.

Something like this:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brows...32932.html

I coated mine with liquid electrical tape so it would not scratch the gel coat. Every so often I gave it a touch up.

Edited by Phil T on 12/24/08 - 9:32 PM

bottomfish
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/11/09 - 4:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

I had the same problem with mine on my 17'. The hole rounded out pretty bad. I just purchased a beautiful double shank welded stainless bow eye from Southco marine (southco.com). I am redoing my Montauk now and will be fitting that eye to the bow in the next few weeks. Once my project page is up I will keep updating as it goes along. I also bought doubles with larger plates for the transom as the problem was the same there. They aren't cheap but once done it is a one time fix.

Aloha Dick
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/12/09 - 5:48 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for finding this Joe!! I guess I had a premature senior moment!!

The long leg shackle idea sounds like a good one, but won't it bounce around on the bow when the boat is running? I trailer my boat so i'm going to need this. Am I permantly attahing the shacle to the hook or the bow eye?

drandlett
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/12/09 - 6:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

If you do not neet the added length of the hook and long leg shackle, and don't mind threading and unthreading the shackle for launching and loading you could just eliminate the hook and splice the shackle onto the winch rope, w/ or w/o a thimble.

I believe that is what I will be doing as my hook is a PITA to fit in the bow eye along with they second safety hook.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 7:07 AM
Users Online
Welcome
BigAirJames
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,104
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,519,042 unique visits