View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Gauges '84 17 Montauk
wjsherid
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/08 - 11:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Need a little advice -

Anyone have any insight on which gauges would be a good choice to overhaul my gauges on my '84 17 Montauk? I have a new 2008 90hp Yamaha 2 Stroke that I put on this summer, and now it is time to redo the dash. Any posts and/or articles that show how this is done would be much appreciated.

My immediate questions, is behind the two black plastic panels, i am assuming i can pull off and remove the gauges. However, what about that middle section where the Black Stick On Tape is coming loose? I'd like to replace with a single piece of Teak that I would sand and varnish, but would the stearing wheel assembly go through that?

Any insight would be much appreciated. I want to redo the gauges and do it once and do it right....so I'd like to go with good gauges, not to say money isn't an object, but I have so much invested in my prize possession that I don't want to chince on the gauges.

Basically found Teleflex Lido/Premier/Sahara I like the Sahara look as the color will match the glass, but the Lido/Premier have the stainless bezel which I also think would look sharp.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/02/08 - 11:46 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I am a firm believer in using the brand of gauges as the engine.

Yamaha motor = Yamaha gauges
OMC motor = OMC gauges
etc...

As far as the material. Taking it off and polishing is what many people do.
Much easier than taking care of that much teak on the dash.

Click on image below for larger version.
[img]http://www.whalercentral.com/images/articles/System_Check/Tech_Series_Instruments_t1.jpg[/img]

DaveL
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/08 - 1:55 PM

Hello,
I have a 1978 Montauk with a 70 Evinrude/Suzuki 4 stroke with all Evinrude gauges. I just did the dash over because I added an AM/FM radio for my son who has to listen to the Red Sox when we are out on the boat. I used a piece of mahogany 5/4 decking which I shaved down to 3/4. I cut out all the holes for instruments and radio and switches, and then put about 7 coats of a good quality marine varnish. I cover the console with a Halls blue OEM console cover when not in use, and the varnish does not deteriorate at all because the sun is not beating down on it all day. I will send a pic when I get a chance.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/08 - 2:56 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

W -

Just putting out one other suggestion to the mix.

I just added a photo to my personal page (at the bottom) to show my 1987 dash. I kept the vinyl backing and just replaced the plates. Buying the OEM ones from a dealer saves the hassle of fabrication and painting.

As for gauges, I kept the classic OEM Yamaha tach with the oil level lights and added a Yamaha trim gauge. For speed, I used a handheld GPS. I added a on-off-auto bilge switch and a Blue Seas 3 gang contura style switch panel with fuses.

I would recommend a water pressure gauge if I still owned the boat.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Gary Sr
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/08 - 8:25 AM

On my 1991 17' Outrage the metal panels that the old gauges and switches fit into were in really bad shape and the holes were not where I wanted my new gauges and switches to fit. I cut black Starboard and drilled holes for new stuff. Looks great and cleans up very easy. Starboard is simple to work with. I saw a Whaler gauge panels made of white Starboard in the marina. Looked different but nice.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 4:42 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,134,947 unique visits