View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1984 25ft boston whaler outrage splashwell?
hotdog7
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/08 - 6:43 AM

Comments: 0

Can anyone tell me how much water is in the splashwell when boat is at a standstill?

Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/01/08 - 3:37 PM

Doug V
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/08 - 8:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Almost all of our boats will have at least some water in the splashwell. It is highly dependent on what size outboard is installed, but is also related to how much gas is on board, how many people, how much gear, etc. In other words, it is a varible thing.

Many people seem to be very concerned about water in the splashwell, going as far as plugging the splashwell drains and installing a bilge pump. I belive this concern is over rated.

It is "splashwell". Water comes in-water goes out. Plugging the drains defeats the purpose of the design intent of the splashwell.

When at rest, the water level in the splashwell of my 22 Outrage usually is just above the top of the drains. My batteries are located in the splashwell, as well as the kicker motor oil tank. The transom has a 2 stroke 200 and a 2 stroke 15, (both Suzuki) hanging on it.

My brother in law has a 25 Outrage with a 275 main and a 25 kicker (both Mercury) hanging on the transom. When at rest it always has water in the splashwell, above the top of the drains.

My brother in law owned a 1986 Montauk that had a 115 Mercury on it. When at rest it aways had water in the splaswell, the water level was above the top of the drains.

I owned a Sakonnet with a 100 Evinrude and a 6 Johnson hanging on the transom. The battery was located at the stern, port side. When at rest, water was always in the splashwell, to just above the bottom of the drains.

I also once owned a 15' Striper with a 70 Yamaha on the transom and a 4.5 Evinrude kicer on a bracket. When at rest it always had water in the splashwell.

None of these boats have exhibited any ill handling effects from having water in the splashwell. In all cases, as soon as the boat moves forward, all of the water was evacuated. If the boat is drifting, the water level in the splashwell never rose higher than it does when the boat was initially loaded into the water. A wave splashes the transom of the boat, some water comes in, the same amount of water goes out.

Now, if your splashwell is full at rest, you have problems- either the boat is overloaded or the hull is extremely wet.

In a nutshell, don't worry about a little bit of water in the splashwell.

Doug

Derwd24
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/08 - 9:55 AM

Comments: 9

Interesting post Doug. I assume the early 80's Outrage 22's didn't have drains other than the one at the bottom of the splash well as mine only has one. But I've read other posts referring to these so it seems they're a later addition?

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

hotdog7
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/28/08 - 2:23 PM

I have more then a little above drain but I have two 150s and the boat has two tanks and the bow tank is empty and the stearn tank is 3/4 full

Doug V
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/08 - 8:07 AM
Personal Page

Fred,

Others may like to comment, but I think you are fine considering how your boat is equipped.

Dave,

The earlier 22 Outrages had a splashwell similar to a Montauk. These boats are generally known to have pretty wet decks at rest in sloppy conditions (as you may well know).

The 1989 and later Outrage 22's had a full width splashwell dam which really dried up the deck. The deck drainage system was changed as well. A port side drain sump was added and the fishwell drain was eliminated. Two drains were included in the splashwell itself.

I think the overboard drains from the anchor locker and the port and starboard below deck storage compartments were eliminated as well.

I like how the drainage system works on my 22, except that I would like to have the overboard drain from the fishwell. I would really like to pull a plug from the fishwell drain while hosing the boat down on the trailer.

Doug

Edited by Doug V on 11/29/08 - 5:25 PM

hotdog7
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/08 - 3:28 PM

Thanks for the replies I had two Gradys before this boat and a 1974 boston whaler before them I always told people that the whaler was the best built boat I ever had I like the Grady it had lots of rod holders and the fishboxes all drained overboard at standstill you had to fill them with a bucket but they drained so if you leave the boat in the water it was easy cleanup but for safty I love the whaler

Derwd24
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/08 - 4:21 PM

Fred, any pic's of your boat?

Thanks for the reply Doug. It sure is a wet deck under the right conditions, which is the only drawback I've found. She swamped on the mooring this summer so I'm thinking about moving the batt's and the oil tank to the console this winter to see if that'll help. I wouldn't mind updating to a full splashwell hull, but I like the teak too much on the earlier models. And if I end up redoing the hull, I plan to eliminate the front overboard drains and set it up like yours, which I assume all drain into the large front locker, where I'll install a bilge pump as getting to that plug requires some contorting for my 6'3" frame...

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Doug V
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/08 - 5:24 PM
Personal Page

Dave,

You are correct, all three of the forward most lockers drain into the lowest locker (I think it may be called the forward fishwell) where I have a bilge pump installed that is controlled by the OEM 3 way switch (off/on/auto) and float switch.

And yes, the plug in the forward fishwell is definately a gymnastics move for this member of the over 50 crowd.

As far as upgrading to a 1989 or later Outrage 22, I don't know if I have ever seen one of that vintage with teak gunwhale caps. I will start keeping an eye out for one.

I guess one could replace fiberglass caps with teak caps if he really had to have a full width splashwell and the teak.

Doug

hotdog7
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/08 - 10:36 AM

I have no pics yet but I will post them soon as I get some

hotdog7
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/08 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone use the automatic drain plugs lets water out but not in?

Derwd24
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/30/08 - 10:56 AM

There was one on my transom when we bought the boat, not sure if it came that way from the factory or not. It wasn't working and also hid the fact that the drain tube had corroded away exposing the transom to water. Didn't replace it when I repaired the area, just use a drain plug now.

I really like the idea of them, but am not sure how reliable they are. Would be interested to hear if others have had success using them.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Little Tunny
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/08 - 1:17 PM
Personal Page

With the 300 Suzuki and 20 Honda kicker (which combined, weigh roughly 715lbs) it drafts 16" with a light load of gas and no people on board, and 17-18" with a heavy load. That means there is always water in the splashwell, which I don't worry about.

Just measuer from the keel of your transom to the water line in your splashwell and it should be somewhere near 16", according to Whaler's published draft specs.

Attached should be a picture.

Little Tunny attached the following image:

[32.47Kb]

Channel Point
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/08 - 2:28 PM

Comments: 1

Hi Fred.
My 27 had a whale drive, so effectively the water in splash well could do no harm. However I always left both bungs out in the the port and starboard underdeck fish lockers... This was no concern as water finds its own level, the lockers were half full, but only in line with the corresponding external waterline. The vessel has ample bouyancy... "I heard somewhere Whalers were unsinkable" !! Its true. Grin I had two 200hp Yamaha's hanging off the back. Leaving the bungs out of the deck wells meant the water drained imediately underway, also any rainwater drained out too. My mooring is in an open harbour so with continual movement and gales this could in theory flood further water in.. but never happened. The Splash well drain plugs in your 22 should be below deck level, even fully loaded.
Regards, Derek

hotdog7
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/12/08 - 1:54 PM

I was looking under my boat today and found a brass drain plug under port stern I removed it found a slight bit of water maybe a cup full I thought this may be from fuel tank compartment but it is to the stern of fuel tanks.Any one know what this is?

Edited by hotdog7 on 12/16/08 - 4:15 PM

hotdog7
#15 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/09 - 9:25 AM

Derwd24 wrote:
Fred, any pic's of your boat?

Thanks for the reply Doug. It sure is a wet deck under the right conditions, which is the only drawback I've found. She swamped on the mooring this summer so I'm thinking about moving the batt's and the oil tank to the console this winter to see if that'll help. I wouldn't mind updating to a full splashwell hull, but I like the teak too much on the earlier models. And if I end up redoing the hull, I plan to eliminate the front overboard drains and set it up like yours, which I assume all drain into the large front locker, where I'll install a bilge pump as getting to that plug requires some contorting for my 6'3" frame...

hotdog7
#16 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/09 - 9:34 AM

Here is my boat

Edited by hotdog7 on 01/05/09 - 9:56 AM

Derwd24
#17 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/09 - 2:22 PM

Hmm, don't see anything Fred. Maybe you could set up a Personal Page instead?

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

SpongeBob
#18 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/09 - 6:18 PM
Personal Page

My Outrage is an '82 and has only one drain at the bottom of the well like Dave's. It is a deep well and holds alot of water, a lot more than the later 22's. While it will drain it takes a while and all that water that far aft can make it sluggish and stern heavy until it leaves, even more so if the fishwell is full to. I do use one of the ping pong ball scuppers and it does make it better. At rest the ball seals the drain and the only way water enters is over the transom,which it can with my twin 120's stern to the waves. Running, any water forces the ball down and water out. If no water comes over the transom the well stays dry and the stern lighter. With no water in the well the transom rides higher and takes less water over it.

Jeff

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 7:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
BigAirJames
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,104
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,519,559 unique visits