View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1975 Outrage 19 fuel gauge/tank sender
Finnegan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/08 - 1:52 PM

Comments: 16

After re-rigging all new instruments on this boat for my new engine installation, I have found the new electric fuel gauge in the console does not function, and traced it to a defective tank sender. This is the first Whaler I have owned with an electric fuel tank gauge, rather than the later mechanical floor mounted gauge, so I have no experience with this situation.

I have located the sender in the tank, under a pry-out deck plate behind the console. There I found the original round red plastic cover, with hole in top for the duplex grey wire, over a raised ridge on the tank about an inch high, filled with old orange grease, with the sender unit underneath. I believe this to be all original., and replacement looks like a messy job.
As you know, this boat sat unused for 30 years, with the fuel tank barely used ever, and probably the sender went bad or is frozen. Wiring appears to be intact.

If any of you guys with classic 19's or 21's have replaced this sender, I would like to know what is involved, and what unit to buy, or if an original replacement is available. There are several different syles on the market, but not sure if the screw pattern will line up. I assume the 40 gallon tank depth is about 6"? Am I also correct that after the replacement sender is installed, I have to re-pack the tank cup surrounding the sender (about 4" in diameter) with grease?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Edited by Finnegan on 10/28/08 - 3:01 PM

gwilz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/08 - 4:06 PM

Comments: 0

I'm a novice here with this type of problem and I have a similar issue. Consequently I too am interested in any guidance others might give. I just procured a 20 ft, 1974 Outrage as a project boat. The previous owner told me the fuel gauge is not functional and he had mechanics look at it and suggest he not fix because of the complexity and cost and that in lieu of gauge repair that a fuel/flow meter of the gallons used be installed. I am interested in any advice with respect to either repair the existing gauge or is the better tact; to install a fuel flow meter?

Gwilz

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/08 - 4:13 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Larry -

(My apologies if you already know this)

I have read that Rochester made the Boston Whaler tank gauges/senders. They can be purchased via E-Components I would think they would be on the remote sender page.

When viewing the site, the have dozens of variations so maybe one of the classic Outrage owners can give you the nuance to select the right one. Then again, if you call them, I am sure they can help.

Regards.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/08 - 1:09 PM

Comments: 16

Further to this thread, much to my surprise, I can now say the original fuel sender has started working again!

Two weeks ago, in order to do a short sea trial with the new engine installation, I added 15 gallons of 87 octane gas, with 10% ethanol, plus some Stabil. I trailed the boat about 20 miles to the ramp and back, with about 25 gallons of Stabilized fuel sloshing around in the 40 gallon tank.

Then, returning to the boat this past weekend, the fuel gauge worked when I turned the ignition to "on". I can only figure that the ethanol in the fuel, combined with the agitation, dissolved whatever varnish or other residue, etc was on the sender, and it started working again. Remember the boat had sat with an almost empty fuel tank for 30 years. A benefit of alcohol spiked fuel, I guess!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 8:51 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,138,432 unique visits