View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
An off-shore day
brikyrd912
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/08 - 5:11 PM

Comments: 1

1-2ft seas out of Ponce DeLeon Inlet last weekend, so great had to go off another day. Got within 1/2 mile from the ramp, out of gas! AngryDropped the anchor, looked up and there was a little 13' coming right at me. He not only gave me 2 gallons of gas, he wouldn't take my money. The least I could do was give him my last 2 beers! I asked him for his name and address, and sent him off a nice care package today with alittle note of a big Thank You. Thank You David Lawson of Edgewater Florida, you saved the day.
JanisGrin

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/08 - 7:12 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Wow, that's what being a "Good Samaritan" is all about. Do you own a Whaler? If so, you know that Whaler folks help each other ouot....part of the family.

Thanks for the story.

Edited by CES on 09/16/08 - 7:13 PM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

RevengeFamily
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/08 - 7:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

There is never a good time to run out of fuel, but I guess you found a "good" time... We have helped many boaters over the years very few have been Whalers!!! You did the rite thing by sending him a little something, we all know he didn't help you looking for or expecting something in return. He helped because he's a good person/mariner.

Boat safe all,

RevengeFamily

1999 280 Conquest w/twin 225 Mercs
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/08 - 2:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

That's because, that person was an "old school sailor" (they say a handful are left). It's been my observation (around here anyway), that when most boat's are circling and looking at someone needing help, it's almost alway's a "Whaler" owner heading in to help out, I guess we feel it's our duty as "Whaler" owner's because, we have the edge over other types of craft, if you are on the water in a Boston Whaler for any length of time (a few season's) you will get "called to duty" for sure, I have been involved in 2 heavy rescue's (life threatening) with my boat, and I feel that our boat's are "PRICELESS", I put 2 small red cross's on the inside hull to signify "number of lives saved", it also remind's me that our sport is inherantly "Dangerous", and to stay "SHARP" out there. Glad everything turned out o.k. for you and the good Sam, great story.
mw

brikyrd912
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/08 - 9:04 AM

Comments: 1

Yes, I own a Whaler, actually 2. That's why I sent him lots of Whaler Goodies. I too have towed in several boaters, given gas, helped get engines started. Tools are great to have onboard, but they really don't help when it comes to running out of gas. I agree whole heartly with "old school sailors". You'll never catch one of us passing on the right, like the waterways are I-95! I did tell him he was a gentleman and a scholar and that there were damn few of him left. Wink But I did learn a valuable lesson, don't stay out there in the ocean too long..even if the fishin is great!
Regards,
Janis

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 6:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,275,836 unique visits