View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
repower
renoduckman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/08 - 9:25 PM

Comments: 0

Im getting closer to repowering the 17. But im still milking some more life out of the old Merc 80hp. I know this topic has been worn out, so i have a bit of a twist. I have been priceing and studying up on the various engines for my 17. Is any one brand of outboard made now really any better then the others? If i have a chance to buy one of Merc, Yamaha,Etec, or a Susuki, should i just buy the deal? I tend to have a brand loyality, but if one is a much better buy, should i just go with that?
And what are peoples thoughts on mounting one yourself? I mounted a 40hp Johnson on my old 13ft. Was not that hard. Just wondering if its worth the trouble or not? Thanks Joe

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 5:33 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Buy the dealer, then buy the deal. Newer outboards are full of computers and electronics, most of which you have to set with a computer and software and only the dealers can do that. If you don't trust the dealer, if he won't talk to you before the sale, he won't talk to you after the sale. Does he/she run a good shop, do they have supplies at reasonable prices, if you have a blowup on a saturday, can he fit you in or tell you how to work around the issues.

If your looking at E-Tec, keep in mind that not all dealers are authorized to sell all HP engines, check the website for your closest authorized dealer. Not sure of the other brands.

sraab928
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 6:01 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I agree with Kamie - if you are buying new - find a great dealer first - then work your deal. Dealer service is paramount with the newer technology outboards of today. Just read around the web about dealer nightmares. They exist everywhere and can have a far worse effect on your boating season than the outboard itself. I think todays outboards are all on a pretty even keel reliability wise.

I have mounted a few outboards myself, but if I were buying a new outboard (which I will be this winter) I will be having the servicing dealer mount it for me... once again its about developing that relationship.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

wrangler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 7:59 AM

I bought a yamaha based on the number of dealers in area.
Yamaha 11
Honda 2
Mercury/Evinrude 6
Suzuki 1
If I need parts or service, it happens in days not weeks.

Also What is the local SeaTow and Law Enforcement using. They use boats 7 days a week. They are not going to buy a not dependable motor.
Look at the local boat ramps and marinas, What is everyone else using?

Again it is personal choice, Ford or Chevy?

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 12:57 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I agree, I bought on the fact that there is a large "Factory Authorized" BRP dealer in close to my house, it has been there since 1964, part's parts parts, I can get part's easily, and dealer support is very good, they stand behind their service, open Sunday's too.
mw.

ghostrider
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 1:12 PM

Don't buy from Sierra Boat! You will regret it. ghost rider

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/08 - 3:14 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

As for rigging, work that with the dealer. Lots of them will let you rig the engine, and save a couple bucks.

Binkie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 4:55 AM
Personal Page

When I was about to buy a new Suzuki 25 for my 13 Whaler, the dealer was going to let me rig it, and then check it out put oil in it and start it. I think that some dealers are afraid you will forget to add the oil, start it and ruin the engine. I wound up buying a Merc. 25 in a box, and doing everything myself. Had no problems with the warranty.

rich

Rich

HarleyFXDL
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 7:00 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Most people come here for help as it feels reassuring to have many opinions. I have had my mind made up many times and it felt good to have many of the good people on this website add to the confidence of my decision. I agree with the above, the dealer is the tie breaker for me. I would go with the closest and best dealer and consider that brand.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 11:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,334 unique visits