View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
AFTER LABOR DAY ADVENTURE
BwhalerBil
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 8:59 AM

Comments: 0

WinkSeptember 3rd, 2008 was a warm and sunny morining in the Detroit area. The opportunity to go for a ride on my 13' Sport presented itself and was taken. Left the dock @ 9:10 AM on a flat and calm Lake St. Clair. After Labor Day is a great time to be out here, as during the conventional boating season flat water is rare.

Stoped by a friends house, on the water, and it was decided that she would take her Sport out as well. After some racing of the two boats we decided to go south and make a trip down the Detroit River before the weather and winds make it unpleasent. The racing had made fuel consumption escalate to the point that a gas stop would be necessary. Putting in a Kean's Marina at the mouth of the river. Taking on 3 gallons of fuel for my vessel and 5 gallons for my friend we were ready to go exploring.

Foot note to racing: My 1974 13' mahogany sport W/ 1985 Johnson 40HP and Her 2005 13' sport W/ matching year Mercury 4 stroke 40HP and power trim. The 1974 Sport was the faster craft.

Fueled and on our way the Ambasador Bridge was the south destination with brilliant sunshine and views of the Detroit skyline and points of interest along the way. Reaching the bridge a discussion was launched about going to the harbor that holds the stored BobBoLo ships. As it turned out that location was much further down river than I had remembered. In a harbor next to U.S. Steel-Great Lakes Works we found the the two vessels.

The 13' sports allowed us a chance to get right up along side the old boats an see what has become of them. The Columb,ia that had a restoration started on it, is reverting to its neglected condition. The St. Clair is also in great dis-repair and floating with half of it's streach wrap missing or waving in the wind. Those who know the history of the ships will be sad to understand what has become of the crafts. However from the up close view we had one can see why restoration is a funding issue.

The day had become late and a scamper back to home port was started. Running in tandem we proceded back up the river at about 3500 to 4000RPM's and less than perfect water conditions. As expeceted the Whaler's performed the duty and delivered us safely back in aproxamately 2 hours running time @ about 4:00 PM.

All told it was an rare and special day to enjoy the little 13' Sport with the heart to take me any where I want to go. This also includes very low fuel consumption going up river and bucking the wind on just about the complete return voyage.

GREAT FUN[mail][/mail]

HarleyFXDL
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 2:06 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Sounds like several gallons of gas was a small price to pay for the good time you experienced. Most of us would make the sacrifice for the many years of fond memories you will have.

BwhalerBil
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 6:15 AM

Comments: 0

That is so true Harley. On returning to port, the 6 gallon tank had plenty of fuel to spare. Not running wide open makes this boat go a long way.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 1:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,281,043 unique visits