View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hurricane Ike
RLwhaler
#21 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 8:48 AM

Comments: 4

Well,looks like Freeport/Surfside is gonna get some drama..Allstate better live up to their names.
Just starting to see a little wind here in Houston.

Richard

CES
#22 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 9:07 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

The weather north of Dallas today is stuningly beautiful and calm......the calm before the storm if you will. If I didn't have to work, I'd be out in my 13 looking for fish. Tomorrow is when "all hell breaks loose" up here. At least according to the local news....we'll see how this storm pans out.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Bob Younger
#23 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 10:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Shoot, Dallas is 300 miles from the coast, a lot of rain maybe but no hell's fury.

Come on down here to Missouri City, 40 miles inland, we'l give you a show.

Anyway, all the hatches are battened, gear stowed and lines secured. The night time land fall, though, is a bummer.

Whaler is in the storage shed safe and secure as best as can be. I worry more about damage to my baby than to the house.

Went through Alicia ('83) with 90 MPH winds at the house. No damage but the day without eletricity was a downer. Soak a towel in hot water and then wrap it around your body. That's September in Houston. In a house with no A/C and completely boarded up it's even worse.

Guess the wife and I aren't gonna make it out to the Bay in the Whaler this weekend. The ramp will probably be underwater, the chop a little much and probably won't be able to recognize anything. Drat, guess I'll just have to wax the hull.

TexasOutrage
#24 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 3:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Bob,

If you lose power, don't stay in Houston and be miserable. Hook-up your Whaler and head south, we'll go fishing. Of course, with this storm surge, you can probably catch redfish along the Sam Houston Tollroad.

Hope you and the rest of Houston stay safe.

kamie
#25 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 4:16 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

good luck folks. Doesn't look fun at all. Pretty big waves already and it will only get worse

duf
#26 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 7:16 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Bob, your rooms still here if you need it. Not to worry my friend, stay safe and give me a call if your needing some AC.

Duf

Phil T
#27 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 7:47 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

At 10:45 I looked at the radar loop for Galveston via Weatherunderground.. Woah! That looks pretty scary.

Here is the link

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

MW
#28 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/08 - 12:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

3:37 AM "weatherunderground.com" radar sweep show's the "eye" over "Galvaston" right now, Houston look's like it's gettin "Hammered", hope everyone stay's safe !
mw

www.weatherunderground.com
click on the "Nexrad radar" station in TX.

duf
#29 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/08 - 5:50 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Well, North Padre Island checking in, and we got nada. Some surge and my entire boat dock is underwater, but the boat was out so no issues. Hope you guys to the north fared well, specially the ones in Galvaston and Houston.

Duf Cool

Edited by duf on 09/13/08 - 2:14 PM

moose
#30 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/08 - 4:02 PM
Personal Page

gigem,
From the pics I see of Kemah I hope your boat is ok. We dodged a big one this time at your expense , I'm sorry to say. We had moderate winds and rain all night and still now to a lesser extent. My heart goes out to all of you in the path. We share your pain. I'll take the board off my windows tomorrow from Gustav and start the clean up here. I have a friend in Groves that I tried to get to evacuate to my house but wouldn't. I hope she's ok. I can't contact her or any of her family so far. Best to all.
Mike

gigem
#31 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 6:37 AM

Comments: 0

moose wrote:
gigem,
From the pics I see of Kemah I hope your boat is ok.

Me too Sad

I spoke to the guy who is working on it right before the storm. My boat is still in his shop - he was evacuating. We decided to come stay with family yesterday, so I am in San Antonio now. Sure is nice to have A/C again!

I am hopeful that we will have power soon, so I can go home. Might try to trek down to Kemah to see what there is to see. My fingers are crossed. But even if it's a total loss, I faired better than many. My house has no real damage beyond tree limbs and some minor fence issues.

Did not have the boat insured yet.

Blue_Northern
#32 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 6:40 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Well - I am back in the office after Ike. I guess the Port A house at the coast is okay -- I kept an eye on the beach/bay cams and never saw the water get high enough to get in the house. In La Grange we did not even get a sprinkle of rain from Ike. My folks are in a Houston by the Galleria and still do not have power back. I spoke with them this morning and they are fine but hot. I have been getting calls from friends around affected areas and seems that all have made it through with minor damages or loss.

I hope all the Whaler folks here are doing well and on the way to getting life back to normal.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

RLwhaler
#33 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 6:50 AM

Houston checking in.DDayyyuummm!!!!!That was one hell of a storm.Just got power back on an hour ago.
it's a mess!

Hope everyones ok.

Best,
Richard

moose
#34 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 6:55 AM
Personal Page

Rob,
I'm glad everything is ok for you. My son went to Houston Sunday am to bring a generator and do some repairs for his inlaws. I was hoping he could check on a friend in Groves but he said EVERYTHING south of I-10 in that area was black-not a light to be seen except at the hospital with emergency power.
Bob, Richard, and others, I hope you came through without too many problems.
Mike

gigem
#35 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 8:17 AM

Comments: 0

Just talked to the guy with my Whaler in Kemah. My boat survived with no damage! Smile

Doors were blown off his shop. He has some damage to repair. Sounds like he'll survive it OK.

He says there are boats and crap strewn all over I-45 down there. Says it's surreal...

I am one lucky SOB... Hope you all are as well...

duf
#36 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 8:55 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Well, we didn't get through the storm unscathed after all. A young kid i know was swept off the jetties along with a friend friday and the kid i know (Mike) was banged against the jetties and disappeared in the heavy seas, and the other kid was in critical condition and passed away as well. A damn shame as he was a nice kid, always polite and pleasent. People tend to forget just how dangerous and unforgiving mother nature and the seas can be.

Duf

sraab928
#37 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 9:58 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Duf, so sorry to hear that Sad.... people really do underestimate the power of mother nature sometimes.

Glad to hear everyone else made it through ok.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

RLwhaler
#38 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 10:07 AM

Mike-Thanks for your concern..I had two fishing buddies in Port Bolivar that was"riding it out"the storm.
Their wives and kids are in Dallas area,I tried to called them but got no answer.Just praying they'll be ok.

Duf-Very sorry to hear that.My heart and prayers to their family.

Richard

TexasOutrage
#39 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 12:13 PM
Personal Page

I hope everyone faired well and the recovery along the upper gulf coast goes smoothly and quickly. The pictures show a tremendous amount of damage. From a boating perspective, it is sad to see nice boats being removed from roads with a front-end loader.

I am going to take advantage of having my boat out of the marina to do some work on it. I want to modify my T-Top with rear support like Mike Homewoods' 25'.

kamie
#40 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/08 - 12:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Duf,
I heard about the kids on the pier, wind and water are nothing to play with.

I saw photo's of boats in a huge pile, lots looked like small trailer boats, and really wonder why folks didn't pull those out of the water. Photo's of Galveston look heartbreaking.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 4:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,420,957 unique visits