View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hurricane Ike
TexasOutrage
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 6:42 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I pulled my Whaler out of the marina in Rockport yesterday and towed it inland. A guy in an old 13' gave me a hand with dock lines.

Saw a steady stream of boats leaving the coast....Duf, need any help?

moose
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 6:58 AM
Personal Page

I waw pics of a whaler floating still on the trailer after Gustav. I left town for the storm and urge anyone on the coast to do the same. We still don't know exactly where it's going but please don't take any chances. It's a great time for a short vacation anyway. Best to all in the path.
Mike

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 7:12 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Good luck with the hurricane my fellow Texans! I feel my weekend plans are going to be altered as I was going to take my 13' out to do a little fishing on Lake Lavon. By Sunday, Ike will be a tropical storm and hit the Dallas area.....oh well, we need the rain.

Good luck and be safe South Texas.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Blue_Northern
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 7:32 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Yeah - Glad we closed on the condo in Port A 1 month ago -- on the first floor. Sad I forgot my property owner cards on the kitchen counter as well so I need to run down before the end of the week.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

gigem
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 8:05 AM

Comments: 0

We got the house in Port A boarded up last night... Whaler is still under construction in Kemah. Good luck to all!

duf
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 8:12 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Thanks John, but pulled my boat out Monday after work so i'm all set. Its poised on a trailer ready to be hooked up and haul butt to a friends in San Antonio. I'm leaving work early today to help Trish board up her house, then will be doing mine, then setting back like everyone else and watching the lines as to its final storm track before evacuating. I came within 15 mins of leaving when Rita was truckin by.

Good luck to all you Southern, and Northern Texas folks, and back with ya when this is over.

Duf Cool

TexasOutrage
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 5:43 PM
Personal Page

I just checked the marine forecast for Friday night out to 20 NM offshore of Port Aransas....22' to 27' waves. A little too rough for my 25' Outrage.

PaulTarwater
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 10:38 PM
Personal Page

CES, don't alter your plans! There`are big fat crappies (sacalait ifn you are east of the Sabine River!) in Lavon! Do you fellers forget you are in a very fishable, unsinkable boat? Plus, crappies bite well on rising water! Don't be worried 'bout some wind and rain? Go fishin' ! I will fill the frezer tomorrow and Fri ! Any thoughts Moose ?!? Me believes you may know sumpin' 'bout sacalaits !

CES
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 5:57 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Paul,

My Whaler may be unsinkable but as my 4 year old daughter once wisely said to me after I told her our Whaler was unsinkable, "It will still flip". Wow, such wisdom from a 4 year old girl.

With 8-10 inches of rain expected and 50-80mph winds forcasted for Dallas north and only a yellow Dickies BBQ cup for a bildge pump, I think I'll keep my 13' in the garage and watch "sports fishing in the Florida keys" on ESPN Sunday. LOL....thanks for the encouragement though.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

moose
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 6:02 AM
Personal Page

Paul,
I've caught a few in my time but I much prefer to fish the salt water that's all around us also. If you're in the cajun mood, my son is a member of the "Lost bayou ramblers" and they are playing in Austin this weekend at the Continental club both Friday and Saturday nigh. Could be a good hurricane party. They guarantee to get you moving.
Mike

Edited by moose on 09/11/08 - 6:04 AM

Blue_Northern
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 6:23 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Duf - Looks like we may dodge a bullet with Ike. This morning is showing it coming in around Galveston which puts us on the SW side of the storm. Still planning on rain and some high winds but it could be a lot worse. Grin

Rob

duf
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 10:44 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

yeah, i'm cautiously optimistic as i have a big distrust for hurricanes. I was in Pensacola Fla when Elaina was pulling its stunt of heading to Pensacola, turning and going almost all the way to Jacksonville, turning about again and going right by Pensacola again. So, until that pup hits dirt and starts winding down, i'll keep a very close eye on it, but you are right, its looking way better then it was yesterday at this time. Grin

Duf Cool

RLwhaler
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 2:07 PM

Comments: 4

Boy,how things have changed since yesterday!Now,their calling for Freeport/Surfside area.Oh well,My wife wanted to remodeled the kitchen anyway.Grin

Rob,bring that 19 inside before the rain get to it!Grin

Duf,are you gonna ride it out..until the last minute?

Best,
Richard

Blue_Northern
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 2:17 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Richard - The 19 only comes outside on really nice days and I never leave without pushing her back inside. I will be interested to see how much weather we get out of this system as it looks like it will pass to the east of us. Good luck down in Houston -- my folks are staying there despite my invitation to come up to the country.

Rob

duf
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 3:23 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Yeah looks like it. I have the house prepped as best i can, the boats in the driveway waiting to be hooked up, and won't take me a minute to load up the puter, important papers and haul butt. Right now is looking good for not having to leave, but living on an island, subject to change in short order. For those of you north of here, crossing my fingers you all remain safe and if the water starts rising............... jump in the Whaler!!

Duf Cool

PaulTarwater
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/08 - 7:56 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the heads up Moose! I will definitely make that show as work has been canceled tomorrow and I have some foldin' money that would love to be earmarked for some good Diatonic button accordian music and a few moggareedas! We fished the Pedernales river last night very near the confluence of it and L Travis and caught crappie, white bass and catfish until they spilled out of the cooler. I love it when the millibars` start acting squirrely! I too prefer the salt but a sweetwater escape every now and then aint bad. It's hard to beat a crappie fillet! Paul

moose
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 6:29 AM
Personal Page

Paul,
Just talked to my son. Unfortunately they cancelled both shows because of the storm. One of the guys' wife is due any day and he didn't want to chance getting stuck out of town for a few days. They play there fairly often. I'll pm you next time they head that way. If you get a group together they can set up a "whaler" table for you.
Mike

Blue_Northern
#18 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 6:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Duf - I have been watching the water level rise down in port A on the webcams. I am so glad it did not hit direct it would have covered the island. I hope everyone up north has been safe and taken precautions to ride this thing out. Good Luck to all!

Rob

duf
#19 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 7:35 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Considering we are only seeing the easy portion of this thing is unbelieveable. According to the weather channel, Rockport has water 1/2 mile inland. I've got high water here, but nothing serious. You Houston and Galvaston folks take care of yourselves and anyone else in the neighborhood of that thing!

Duf

Blue_Northern
#20 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/08 - 8:45 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Duf - Here is a web cam of the marina at Port A. I know you have been down there many times. Look at the docks on the left side completely covered and the water line around the ramps. That water is usually half way down those concrete dividers. This is on the South side of the storm -- I have some friends from Galveston that I am sure are under water at this point.

Look at the tab for the beach front as well. The tide is well past the parking poles along the waterfront. Those usually have about 100+ yards of beach behind them. Shock

The ferries are still running in the background.

Edited by Blue_Northern on 09/12/08 - 8:46 AM
Rob

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 3:20 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,420,261 unique visits